• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New coyote rig

Started by HaMeR, February 11, 2016, 09:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaMeR

Thank You for the history lesson Ok!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

There was a guy on another Forum that killed coyotes with the 17M2 when it 1st came out. Like/unlike yours,, these were targets of opportunity as well. He kept his shots under 30yds & always waited to put the tiny little pill in the ear if I remember correctly.

WWWest said he ripped one apart out west with his 338Lapua & never found it!!   :shock2: I'm quite sure Doug can shoot better than reasonably well. So I don't think it needs to be said just how tough coyotes are & what their will to survive truly is like. I just know that if get the 223 up & running quick enough I'll only have an opportunity for a run off with the 204 while groundhoggin with it. Otherwise the ol OT4 has shot it's last coyote!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

My cousin has a 600 Mohawk in .308 win.  My lil brother killed a few deer with it till he got his own.  Nice little gun.  that one is a accurate shooter.  The local gunshop has  a few in 350 rem as well but I never figured it to be worth the money to buy one. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Okanagan

Quote from: HaMeR on February 14, 2016, 03:33:18 PM
Thank You for the history lesson Ok!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks for being nice about it.  Embarrassed here for my verbal over abundance.  We need a blushing emoticon but this will have to do for me  :doh2:

Re coyote toughness:  I believe that pound for pound, coyotes are one of the toughest and most tenacious of life of any critter in North America; including grizzly bears and mountain goats, two of the grittiest, never-stop animals out there.  There are always individual exceptions but in general if you don't put a coyote down or shut down vitals quickly, it will get back up and go and go and go.  An example of that I could tell is too gruesome to post. 

HaMeR

I did enjoy the lesson Ok!! I didn't know about the 600 til you posted about yours. I found it informative.

Brad,, yothuntr here,, blew some internal organs to the outside of a coyote when we were hunting together at the LBL. Did a real number on it with the 22-250. It made the trek around the other side of the finger it was on before expiring. Prolly a good 40yds. Nice blood trail for ease of tracking. I shot one with the 50cal ML during seer season a couple years ago. A LOT of blood out both sides & he still made the den a long ways off!!

Groundhogs can be damn tough to kill as well!! I've seen 20yd heavy blood trails into the hole before.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Yotehntr

That's a crazy good deal on that rifle Glen!  I'm guessing with the trigger you're planning on getting for it it'll be rough on the coyotes. I've not had great luck with the lighter bullets (40gr) seems to be a big difference just stepping up to 50.. that's just with my limited experience.  All that to say I think the 223 will be a better rifle on the coyotes than the 204 is.

Yeah that was a blood trail that could be followed from the 50 yrds away shot!  :laf:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

HaMeR

Thanks Brad!! I wanted to load 60's in it but decided to stick with the 55's. I'm sure I would have much better luck finding off the shelf 55's easier then anything else. I have some Hornady 55gr SP SX I picked up the other day & am thinking about a Berger HP. So many decisions yet so little time!!

You sure were missed at the LBL Brad!! Hope to see you next time!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Hornady 45gr SP @ 30yds on a chest shot.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Yotehntr

LOL that had to be tough to follow!  :huh:  Yeah I hated missing it, will make sure to plan better next year.  The Berger's sure shoot good in anything I've put them in in that weight they should be awesome!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

HaMeR

Yeah it was Brad!! He rolled down the hill about 20'!! I was very happy with that blood letting!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

The 40gr Berger in my 204 shoots great too. It's knocked a couple coyotes out hard too. Especially that big male at Redbird.

Already looking forward to next year!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

I have had good luck with sierra gamekings in 55gr PSP.  They have knocked down every critter I have shot a DRT and they do not seem to blow up fox very bad.  Usually small hole in 1" exit.  Plus they shoot well out of my tikka

5 shot group at 100yds

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

HaMeR

Thanks for the tip Ben!! I have a handful of those coming from my Brother. Gonna give those & some Hornady 55gr SP SX's a try once the weather breaks & I get the 222 finished up!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

That load is lake city brass over a rem bench primer and a max load I believe of h4895 25.5gr rings a bell but I don't know for sure.  I do not know how far off the lands the bullet is.  I don't think I even played with that.  I do know the rem bench primers shrunk the groups a .125 alone. 

HaMeR

More good info Ben!! I'll start the OAL from the book & go from there. I'm ASSuming this Savage has a big jump to the lands.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

I have the Rem 600 in .308 but no rib, plain barrel.  The one on GunBroker is sold, don't like the "plastic stocks" metal and wood for me.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HaMeR

RB trigger shipped outta Minnesota this morning!! I bet it can't wait to get to warmer weather!!   :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

55gr Winchester b-tips at 40yds. 10-15mph winds with 20+ gusts yesterday. 3 shot groups. The scattergun pattern is NOT me OR the .223!!  :nono: :nono:   :innocentwhistle:

2nd cloverleaf at 40yds. The wider group was Federal 55gr SP's. With the new trigger I'll try those again.

Went back & picked up 3 more boxes of the 55gr B-tips this morning. Got the same lot # too.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

HaMeR

Thanks Ben!!

Got it all wrung out & ready to roll yesterday. I may have to keep this one close to me. I'll have to show Diane the target with the 55gr SP's & tell her that's all the better it shoots!!  :alscalls: :alscalls:

55gr Winchester Varmint factory rds @ 100yds. Nearly zero wind & plenty of time between 3 shot strings to simulate a coyote scenario of cold barrel shooting. Should make for some "creative" ideas when I miss!!  :alscalls: :alscalls:

After setting the scope +1/2" @ 100yds I decided to shoot one last 5 shot group with very little cool down time after the final zero grouping. I took careful aim with each shot yet got them down range as quickly as possible. The little barrel heats up quickly & as expected it walks a bit. Shouldn't be a problem on coyotes.

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

Do you usually set your rifles 1/2" high at 100yds? 

also I do not remember if the axis is like the model 10 and 110 savages but if they are floating the tang of that gun will help more then you realize.  Depending on how you grip the gun you could be throwing your shots left to right and do not know it.  I have a 116 in 25-06 that shot a group .5" wide but a couple inches tall.  I relieved the tang and made sure there was plenty of room for the float on the barrel.  the Axis dad has is really flimsy and was very close to the barrel and it doesn't take much to make it touch the barrel when shooting from a bench. 

HaMeR

My .204 is +1". That puts me back at zero around 350yds. My HMR is +1/2" for 135yd shots which is my personal limit. Point & shoot with these 2 rifles.

I don't know the actual velocity on these rounds so I went +1/2" at 100yds for groundhogs. I'm gonna knock one or two off with this rifle just to get a feel for it away from the bench. That is if I don't shoot a coyote with it 1st.  :laf: :laf:   I tried not to lay on the stock too heavily on the bench for that reason. I won't have the bench under the rifle in the woods. I did my best to think this all thru from a coyote hunt perspective. I don't grip a rifle all that tight either. I've seen a heavy hand flex these stocks like you mentioned.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

Gotcha.  I would guess real world FPS on a round that heavy would be 3100-3200fps.  I typically sight my guns in 1.5" high at 100 and I'm good to 250yds which is pushing my limit in the fields at night in pa.  300 on my handloads are 6" low if I remember correctly.