• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Predator Lights by Restorc

Started by Todd Rahm, September 30, 2009, 01:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rahm

I seen one of the new moderators at PM had a new pro staff tag (Surprise), so I went and checked it out.  :wink:

Does any one know anything about this product Predator Lights by Restorc

http://www.kcshounds.com/predator_lights.php

I like the idea and the fact that is light as it would meet most of my needs in Alaska, but the ONE question that I have and that is an issue with most lights, is the run time in COLD weather?

This one says it will run on high for 4 hours? Does that mean I'll get an hour out of it or is it different then the lights with the batter pack.

I have several lights, but one for example charges for 18 hours (Or maybe 16) and I'm supposed to get about 5-6 hours out of it but in the cold temps I only get 45 minutes to an hour out of it.

So this light interest me.  ;yes;

Any input is welcome, thanks,

alscalls

Being an LED it should be easy on batteries but I would question how far and how bright as I have yet to see an LED that actually did what they claimed.....I would like to hold one in my hand for a closer look though as it is interesting...... :wo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

slagmaker

Cold is cold and batteries dont like the cold.

You can cary a battery to run a warmer so that one battery will last longer but then you have to cary a battery to run a warmer for that battery so you see where that gets you.

I like LED lights for a lot of things but for real POWER you have to have iincandesent. A filiment is not as effecient as an LED so theres give and take, just depends on what your using it for at the time. Usually you will have the wrong light for the job at the time.

OK that said. The batteries should last longer but in cold weather your still going to loose run time. Not as much but noticablely shorter
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Where is that Watchmaker fellow?  He might be able to point out the pro's and con's.   :shrug:  He makes those Black Bear Borealis flashlights.

slagmaker

Anything to help keep the battery warm will help with battery life. Even using a hand warmer in the battery bag will help
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bigben

they just had brought these lights out at the ppha expo this year.  as far as I am concerned they look to be a good light.  but what worries me is it is a led light.  which means it is not normally very bright.  I seen it in person and the only thing I can say is it would probably be able to light up an animal good enough at 100yds to get an accurate ID but the 300 yd claims that people are making would need to be as bright as a lightforce was.  for the everyday fox hunter they would be perfect.  no wires to mess with and no bulbs to burn out in the middle of the night.  but the price is steep.  you can buy a maglight led light and have the same thing for that much it seems.  I just am not that sold on em.  a friend of mine is testing one out this year and he does not bs.  he hardly posts on the boards and just likes to hunt.  so once he is done with his testing period I will post what he says about it or provide a link to the disscussion.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

here is a link to the fella I was talking about's review of this light. 

http://www.ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=3230.0
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Todd Rahm

Thanks Ben, I'll go check'r out. I really liek the idea of this lil light but skeptical a bit, because I have read a lot of contarcting post about what it can really do.

Todd Rahm

Probably one of the better post I have read on the light. Thanks Ben.

bigben

no problem todd.  the fella that wrote it travels to texas and a few other places to hunt as well.  he is a very knowledgable predator caller also and a straight shooter.