• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Totally disgruntled

Started by Bopeye, February 15, 2007, 08:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

I still can't get over the fact that I hit a coyote at 30 yards with my 10 gauge and he managed to go somewhere. It is haunting me bad...........so I have been looking for a "VERY" hard hitting gun. I need y'alls opinions on two that I've found. Let me know what you think.

This is the .50 Beowulf. Hard hitting gun on an AR15 style gun. It is pretty accurate out to 150 yards. 100 yards = 1" shot groups. I'm thinking seriously about getting this gun. I don't think you'll have too much more damage since there will probably be a 50 caliber hole going in and a 50 caliber hole going out. I'm thinking there should be a dead in the dirt, not even twitching coyote laying in the exact spot he was shot. Here's a picture of the gun.

My only other option I have found is this gun. Spray and pray type shooting.  :eyebrow:

Browning 1919 machine gun.

Any and all feedback welcome.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

KySongDog

Have you considered hand grenades?      :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

straycat

Quote from: Semp on February 15, 2007, 09:20:24 PM
Have you considered hand grenades?      :biggrin:

Are ya huntin or fishin ?                :innocentwhistle:
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

fuzz624

Bopeye,if you need any one of those 2 to kill a coyote,you need to do some serious target practice.

Bopeye

You might be right fuzz if I can't anchor a coyote at 30 yards with a 10 gauge.
:biggrin:

Just out of curiosity though, what would make target practice any less important with the .50 Beowulf as opposed say a .223? Just wondering.   :wo:

fuzz624

Well Bop,that is like compareing a 30-06 to a RPG.I believe the RPG would leave a little more room for error.I dont know about the 50 but i know what a 45-70 does to a medium sized dog.It will turn it into a small dog pretty efficently.As for the target practice,that 45-70 you didnt want to practice verry much with.3 shots was about all i could take.

Bopeye

I was pretty proficient with the L.A.W. rocket, M-60 machine gun, M203 Grenade launcher, M2 .50 caliber Machine Gun, M-16 A2 shot expert, TOW wire guided missile system and I found that all of these weapons needed a fair amount of practice to become proficient with them.
:biggrin: :wink:

However, the true intent of my top post wasn't to spur a "how bad I shoot" thread. I'll start one of those later.  :eyebrownod:

I was just more or less poking some fun at myself for not being able to anchor a coyote with a 10 gauge shotgun. It seems to me at 30 yards, hitting him broadside should have put him in the dirt, but as usual, the rules got changed on me again.  :iroll:

I know I don't need a Browning 1919 machine gun or a .50 beowulf to drop a coyote, although I do believe they would both work nicely. I'm basically just kicking around some ideas in my own head and throwing some tidbits out there for some interesting debate. Not trying to ruffle anyone too much....... :nono:
Don't take me too serious fuzz.......I don't take myself too serious at all.

I am considering the 6.5 Grendel though. Anyone ever used one of these or ever seen them used? I have been doing some looking at them and they seem to be a nice little round in say a 120 Nosler ballistic tip.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Bopeye on February 17, 2007, 12:45:43 AM

I am considering the 6.5 Grendel though. Anyone ever used one of these or ever seen them used? I have been doing some looking at them and they seem to be a nice little round in say a 120 Nosler ballistic tip.

Prairie Dog load  :rolleye:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 17, 2007, 01:12:23 AM

Prairie Dog load  :rolleye:

Dang.......tough crowd lately.. :eyebrownod:

So how do you feel about a .17?  :nono:

KySongDog

Quote from: Bopeye on February 17, 2007, 12:45:43 AM
However, the true intent of my top post wasn't to spur a "how bad I shoot" thread. I'll start one of those later.  :eyebrownod:

I was just more or less poking some fun at myself for not being able to anchor a coyote with a 10 gauge shotgun. It seems to me at 30 yards, hitting him broadside should have put him in the dirt, but as usual, the rules got changed on me again.  :iroll:

Are ya sure you didn't jerk the trigger in the heat of the moment?  At 30 yards with a 10 gauge it should have been rock-a-bye time for the yote regardless of what size shot you were using.  Something went wrong for sure.   :confused:

Bopeye

I could have Semp. I've replayed it in my head a thousand times.

I saw the coyotes coming. I let the lead dog get well within my comfort zone. Waited until it's head went behind a tree. Lifted my gun and drew a bead on it. Started talking to myself to control my breathing......waited the 20 seconds or so for it to step out from behind the tree. Put the bead on the vitals and let'r rip. I saw the dog go down and it's legs started kicking. I automatically assumed he was in his death twitch. Got greedy and made an effort to shoot the coyote that had been traveling not too far behind the first one. I got off a shot on that one, but knew I missed when I fired.
Went back to retrieve my prize and couldn't find him.............the rest is just mind numbing to me.
Could I have jerked the trigger........it's possible.
Could the added fur of a coyotes winter coat slowed up the shot enough to make it a less than lethal blow? I don't know.
I was telling a friend of mine at work about it. I put a lot of stock in what he says. He was a sniper in Vietnam.........he won't tell you a dang thing about it, but I know his son as well.
His son said he talked about it one time to him and I reckon this fella saw his share of the "one shot, one kill" stuff. He still makes incredible shots deer and coyote hunting with his Tikka 7mm with a Svorsky scope.
Anyway.......he was the one that told me that people rarely took into account winter coats on animals when shooting them with shotguns. He brought up a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo that flew right over my ignorant hillbilly head, but the basic jest of it was that winter coats can affect penetration to a certain extent.

Who knows :confused: All I know, is that when I can't account for an animal I've shot it can bother me almost to the point of insanity. My mind replays it until I am second guessing every detail of what I did or didn't do. Right now it's stuck on the gun, but soon it may change to the "loose nut behind the butt plate"...  :biggrin:

fuzz624

What kind of shells are u shooting Bop?Shot size,brand and so forth.The only problem with a shotgun is that they loose energy very quickly.but if you are useing bb or larger shot,it should of really rocked that thing at 30 yds.This just might be one of those one in a million kinda things.

If you are still not happy with the 10 ga. results,you could try a Barret 50 BMG. :biggrin:

straycat

Here's one that might work for ya !   :innocentwhistle:

"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

THO Game Calls

I've hit coytes with a 12 ga and watched them roll over, get up and run away.

Hot them with a .270 and have seen the same thing. 

They are tough critters, and, youhave to throw in the adrenilin factor.  When they come in they are pumped up.   That can take them a long ways even if they are dead on their feet.

Everyone who spends any time in the field hunting looses game sooner or later.   It happens.   But I would rather hunt with a man who shot a critter that got away and was bothered deeply by it, than with someone who says, ah heck, let's go get another one.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Custom Call Makers & Collectors Guild
Call Makers & Collectors Association of America
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

keekee

Shot size and pattern mean allot when shooting a shot gun. I have had coyotes at 30-40 yards ( Buck shot and Mod choke ) I have had to shoot three times to keep them down. Thats when I started playing with chokes and loads. I found that the Dead Coyote load and a .665 choke will put them down for the count out to 50 yards every time, If I make a good shot.

I would not hunt coyotes with a shot size any smaller than BB. And In BB I like a 3" shell. I shot a couple with #4's and a couple with #2's. And I had to let them get 15-20 yards to feel comfortable with a clean kill. The new hevi shot Turkey loads hold very good patterns. I killed fox with them out to 60 yards, Turkeys the same but to me a coyotes is allot harder to kill. There tough!

I skinned allot of coyotes in the trapping days that had shot under there skin, shot by rabbit hunters I would guess. The shot never went past the skin.

Brent

bigben

all I know is with fox in thick cover.  I shot once.  most of them are bang flops.  I had one that got a texas heart shot after a first shot miss as he was running away.  shot once grey jumped in air turned and started to run away from me shot again.  did a front flip and started runnin back at me last shot frontal shot DRT three shots two hits all within 30 yds.  as they say shit happens.  if it is still kickin I keep the dot on it weather it be a deer fox bird whatever.  if there is nothing I hate the most is all the hours used and when I finnaly get the chance I screw it up because I did not give it time to die.  so far though after goin to a red dot and a tight choke coupled with a 3"12ga load of 2 oz of copperplated BB's last year everything within 40 yds has been DRT even a coon.  which around my parts seems the only thing that is tough.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Bopeye

Funny you should say red dot sites. I have my 10 gauge at the gunsmith right now having better sights put on it. Going to change my shot size as well. Most of coyote season here in Tennessee, you can't use anything larger than #4 birdshot. Once big game season goes out (mid-January) you can switch to BBB. I shouldn't have used my #4 birdshot, but I am so accustomed to it now (due to the laws) that I just use it. NO MORE!!! It's unethical in my opinion, regardless if the game laws say it's o.k.
I've seen #4 birdshot drop them dead, but have little faith in it..........especially now.  :argh:

I killed a dog two weeks before LBL with #4 buck and that bad boy never knew what hit him..... :rolleye:

I know losing game happens and have lost my share of deer and coyotes, but it doesn't mean I'll ever like it, nor will I quit trying to improve my odds in every way to eliminate losses.  :biggrin:

bigben

ever since going to a red dot sight I do not think that I will ever go back to anything else.  now if they would make one that goes off after a hour.  there was many a times that my batts died because of forgetting to turn it off.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

vvarmitr

I would have to say the #4's are the culprit along w/ the winter coat.  :rolleye:
I couldn't understand how a coyote could only play dead after being hit w/ a 10ga @ 40yds. :confused: Now it makes sense. :iroll:  Thank God here in Ohio we can use #4Buck. :eyebrow:

Ah heck Bopeye, let's go get another one. :wink:  ............... Oops! :holdon: Sorry Al!  :whew:
:roflmao: :laf: