• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

2011 Bow Contest

Started by HaMeR, September 30, 2011, 04:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Way to go Dave!  Taking it right down to the wire as the season draws near to a close. 

By the way Todd, I helped pick out that Christmas tree. :yoyo:  Dang fine looking tree and Buck!

Dave

code

Hey,
If you do a contest this year would it be hard to change the start date to September 1st?
Thanks, Cody
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

Okanagan

Hey Code, we haven't talked dates yet with your folks but I could take your younger bro after deer the last week or two of August.  It is open by then up here.

If so, it would be nice if he was eligible for contests.

I just went back and read the rules.  As written it is for whitetails only.  Code would have to drive several hundred miles to hunt whitetails.  He has blacktails in his yard.  Any chance of adding other categories of deer?

Okanagan

Our archery season for deer opens August 25 and ends Jan 15.

FinsnFur

Actually the contest has two categories. One for best photo, and one for biggest whitetail rack. Any species could still win $100 bucks for best photo.

If I remember right we hashed this over a couple years ago and couldnt come up with a way to include every deer in North America because a baby Reindeer or a healthy Mule deer could wipe every Boone and Crockett Whitetail out of the contest with little or no effort.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

OK, gotcha on comparing mule deer and others if size & scoring is the standard of measure.  Thanks for the clarification.  I hadn't followed that debate.

Our dinky northern blacktail racks don't stand a chance against anything, and we have a defensive complex about that!   :iroll:

How about starting the photo contest early enough to include August and Sept. seasons?

FinsnFur

Thats not a problem.
We'll general poll the membership for season dates to make sure everyone who cares to participate has a chance.
I'm guessing those dates werent mentioned in the previous contest discussions.
You'll have to bring it up again or remind someone, cause with no discrepancies everything just carries over to the following year if we set up a new contest.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nailbender

Heres' a question for ya.  If I get lucky with my new crossbow,  is it legal for the contest?

FinsnFur

Depends on whether or not you update your profile info so that I quit getting all your private messages   :innocentwhistle: :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nailbender

Okanagan

Don't know what Code took for photos today and maybe after the kill is too late, but here is my reminder to open the photo contest earlier (Aug 15 wold be ideal) to allow legit entries from far western early bow seasons.

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 29, 2012, 08:49:38 PM
Thats not a problem.
We'll general poll the membership for season dates to make sure everyone who cares to participate has a chance.
I'm guessing those dates werent mentioned in the previous contest discussions.
You'll have to bring it up again or remind someone, cause with no discrepancies everything just carries over to the following year if we set up a new contest.

FinsnFur

You mean September 15th, Okanagan?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 03, 2012, 07:48:28 PM
You mean September 15th, Okanagan?

Today is Sept. 3 and Code and his brother each killed a deer with a bow today, so the main thing was to try to get the contest open by today so they could be included.  I said Aug 15 (rather than today's date or a backdate to Sept. 1) just to set the rules precedent for next year because some of our bow seasons open in mid August.

FinsnFur

Sounds good.
And they can still be in it, regardless of when we open it, if we have one. As long as they have something in the pic saying FnF 2012 or time stamped pictures.

The important date is the closing date.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

KySongDog

Quote from: Okanagan on September 03, 2012, 08:06:36 PM

Today is Sept. 3 and Code and his brother each killed a deer with a bow today, so the main thing was to try to get the contest open by today so they could be included.  I said Aug 15 (rather than today's date or a backdate to Sept. 1) just to set the rules precedent for next year because some of our bow seasons open in mid August.

Congrats to Code and his brother!   Ask them to post some pics.   Hope it is a little cooler up there than what it is down here.   I don't know that I could get one out of the field before the green flies landed.   :nono:

weedwalker

Went out to my stand this morning after working all night. Didn't see anything. Hunted till about 9:30. Came home and took a nap so I could hit it fresh this evening.
Went back out about 5PM. Around 7, 2 does and a small 4 point buck still in velvet came thru. I wanted some freezer meat, so at 27 yards I stuck this doe. She turned towards me about the time I released the arrow and hit her a little far back. I was kinda worried about that but she piled up in 60 yards.

FinsnFur

Beautiful!
She'll put some good eats in the freezer for ya for sure. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Yep, should be prime eating this time of year.  Weedwalker, you did some good shooting!

re my grandsons:  after me asking for early entry time, I don't know if they took a pic with a date in it or not, so don't know if they have a pic that qualifies!  When Cody returns we will see if the word ironic is appropriate. :readthis:

KySongDog

Congrats, Ed!    Makes me want to pick up my bow.  I might just do that.  It's cooling off some here.