• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Thinking about a handgun

Started by Roundman, March 03, 2007, 07:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

I'm thinking of getting a handgun and maybe even a ccp. I have found a couple that I like but the only one that really feels good is an HK usp. I don't know much about them I thought maybe you guys would know some pros and/or cons. I have done a search on the net but I find it's a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

Thanks Mike

Ladobe

It'll be a Ford/Chevy thing here too Mike, just the nature of the beast.   Your choice will come down to which one holds your confidence.

Not a semi auto fan here for a CCW, but the best one I ever had that I was confident would not fail in a tight situation was a Kel Tec.   I prefer the reliability of a revolver though, which all of my current CCW's are.   Easiest carry is a ported, snub-nosed 357MAG that puts them where I point it.

YMMV

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Silvertip

Roundman

I totally concur with Ladobe, I prefer a 5 shot 357 revolver, S&W Model 60 w/2" barrel.
They are safe to carry, easy to conceal, and good stopping power(try Speer Gold Dot 125 grain hollow points).

Silvertip
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

KySongDog

Glock 19 with Corbon hollow points. Small, relatively light and 15+1 rounds.  I've carried one for many years.  If you are a .45 fan (I am too), the new Springfield XD45 with 13+1 rounds was named Gun of the Year.  I like mine a lot.

Lots of choices out there.  Whatever you decide.....practice, practice, practice.  Try shooting some IDPA matches.  It will help your shooting and is a lot of fun.

My $.02 worth.

Semp

Roundman

Thanks guys.
The Glock and small frame S&W were my other two choices.  :confused: The wife of 210 years might divorce me if I buy more than one.  :biggrin:

The titanium S&W's cost almost as much as my AR.
Mike

Bowhunter57

Roundman,
It's difficult to argue the reliability of a revolver. Charter Arms, Taurus and EAA are some reasonably priced options.

However, if it's an auto you're looking for, EAA Witness handguns are very reasonable and reliable. Nothing wrong with Glock, H&K, Sig or S&W handguns. It's what you can afford.

Whatever you decide to purchase, like Semp stated, practise, practise, practise.  :biggrin:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

centerfire_223

At work we tote Springfield XD's, so far they have been great guns. They shoot good, and have really good triggers in them too.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Roundman

A Springfield XD .40 is what I ended up with. It came highly recommended and It felt good in my hand. Since last month I've put about 150 rounds down the pipe with no problems.
Now I'm waiting on the wife to get good enough so we can take the carry permit course. I bought her a .38 S&W hammerless.  :wink: 

Bowhunter57

Roundman,
It sounds like you made some excellent handgun choices! :wink:

I forgot to mention Springfield XDs in my list of choices and they are an outstanding value.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Hawks Feather

Roundman,

I think you will like the Springfield.  I don't own one, went the Glock route instead, but have shot several and they did a good job.

Jerry

Roundman

Jerry
So far so good. We'll see how well it performes in a few hundred rounds.

Frogman

XD's are excellent.  Good choice.
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Kuipdog

I own several handguns, 1911's, revolvers, mouse guns, snub nose, big and I mean big revolvers, and a beretta 96, and an XD 9mm and of all my handguns I own and shoot I really like my XD. Great tirigger and it is comfortable in my hand and carries well not to mention it is accurate. I find it is the gun I carry most often. You made a good choice in the XD. I do have an advantage that my carry permit allows me to carry what I want and I can change that at anytime without needing to requalify with a new gun or caliber.

Roundman

This is my son shooting the XD .40 for the first time. In fact this is the first time he has ever shot a handgun. Watch what happens when the slide locks back.

ohiobob

Roundman
Your Son didn't Flinch when the Slide locked open, I know when my Wife shot my XD-40 for the First time she did a little Flinch, I gave her a choice of the XD-40 or my Ruger GP-100 to shoot, she said the GP-100 because she has HEARD The XD-40 Go off and it SOUNDS like it Kicks,, I asked her to PLEASE EXPLAIN how she can tell by SOUND, that 1 Gun will "KICK" more than another Gun,, she couldn't, so I put the .357 Mag Shells in because she DIDN't want to shoot the .38 Spcl Rounds I had,, well on her 2nd Shot with the .357 Mag, she told me to give her the XD-40, and when she shot that Pistol she was in LOVE with it,,so I KNOW you will be happy with that Pistol, so I told her that I would make her a deal and let her have the XD-40 and I will buy an XD-45 BUT she can NOT Bitch about it, she is ALMOST agreeable on it, but not quite yet, I know I can sucker her in on the Deal when Spring gets here and she can shoot it more, she IS a Fair Weather Shooter
Do you Handload Roundman ??? what Shells does your XD-40 like the best ???
Later
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

FinsnFur

He did a little preflinch, but it wasnt as bad as I expected it to be.
He's gotta love that. I know Kyle would burn the barrel off my 9m if I'd let him.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Omega47

1.  What's it for?  Home defense?  Concealed Carry?

2.  How familiar are you with using semi autos?  revolvers?

Here's the deal - do you want to be "hip" or do you want to live??   A lot of these new semi-autos are really cool, but having been through several live fire fights in concealed carry situations, you could not pay me enough money to ever carry a semi-auto again other than in an open holster.   Even in a home defense situation, a semi auto can get you killed unless you practice practice practice with it until you and EVERY MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY can pick it up in total darkness, immediately identify its ready condition (loaded, unloaded, safe, not safe, etc) and very quickly be able to make it into any condition (safe, standby, ready or empty) in a matter of a split second without fumbling, jamming it etc.  Don't kid yourself, you are talking about committing to dozens of hours of practice and shooting lots of ammo.  Having a gun in the house that no one knows how to use isn't going to save anybody.

I have semi-autos, but only in rare circumstances would I even consider one for self defense.  In our house we have .44mag revolvers with 6" barrels.  Everyone in the house knows all they have to do is pick it up and pull the trigger, and they've all practiced enough that I know they can hit anything they point at.  We "re-certify" ourselves every couple months, and make it a fun time at the range.

For concealed carry, we ONLY carry S&W featherweight or airweight .38 or .357 revolvers with recessed hammers.   This comes from a real world experience of being attacked on a city street  I was armed with a Glock 23 and throughout the attack and there was absolutely no way I could reach it, draw it or fire it.   Having it was a complete waste of time.  After the attack, the LAPD detective who responded gave me a 2-hour live course on concealed carry and self defense that I will never forget.   Some quick lessons:

1.  If an attack happens, you will not have time to draw a weapon. Things happen too fast.  You'll be lucky if you will be able to figure out what is happening before it's over and the damage is done.
2.  Semi autos are too big and bulky to draw in a close assault situation.  Plus the slide needs to be able to move and often there is not enough room for this to happen.
3.  If the assault is not this close, you should run.  The police use a 7 ft rule to determine whether or not your life is in danger.  If the victim is more than 7ft away from you when you shoot, you are going to jail.  If you have room to pull your semi, chances are you are outside the 7ft circle.
4.  The absolute best defense weapon is a small hammerless revolver in a coat or sweatshirt pocket.  If I had one, I could have reached in and fired back without alerting the assailant that I had a weapon and saved myself  a hell of a beating.   With the sweatshirt I was wearing I could even have fired it by grabbing the outside of the pocket and pulling the trigger.  If nothing else, it would have given me options I didn't have with the Glock.

Bottom line is semi's are fun to shoot but they are not ideal defense weapons unless you are prepared to spend a lot of hours and a lot of ammo getting to know their every quirk and trait on an intimate level.  Revolvers are a lot easier to use, inherently safer, and provide a lot more options in a true defense situation. 

This is just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.  Just give the matter some thought before you decide what to get.

Frogman

Nice post Omega.  As a ccw instructor myself I feel that too many of my students take the class, buy a gun, get their ccw permit, then seldom go out to the range to spend the time neccesary to become proficient with the gun.  You are right, it does take lots of time.  I feel that having the ccw and carrying a firearm requires one to accept the reponsibility to practice as much as possible.  My students get a list of local gun clubs and ranges with applications where needed.  I hope they take advantage.  A few I know of have joined a club.  Most I never hear from again.  At least I know they have put at least 100 rounds through their gun in order to pass my class.  Carrying is like wearing your seat belt.  You never know when it might save your life.  At least ccw holders have their permit and can carry if they choose.   
       More details about your confrontation would be appreciated.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Omega47

I agree that practice with the weapon you carry is very important.  As I said before, I think IDPA matches help.  But in the end, no amount of practice will prepare you to kill someone.   

As for your quick lessons, I don't agree with any of them.  Especially the one about...
Quote from: Omega47 on December 28, 2007, 07:23:43 PM
3.  If the assault is not this close, you should run.  The police use a 7 ft rule to determine whether or not your life is in danger.  If the victim is more than 7ft away from you when you shoot, you are going to jail.  If you have room to pull your semi, chances are you are outside the 7ft circle.

The police do not determine whether my life was in danger.  I determine it.  That 7 ft rule is crap.  I may have to convince a jury about my beliefs but I don't have to convince the police of anything.

Semp

ohiobob

Well my Springfield XD-40 has the Grip Safty and the Trigger safty, so it is a Pick Up & Shoot, just like you described the Revolver that you reccomend, the XD-40 is one of the Smoothest and Most Accurate Pistols that I have owned or Shot
It is Accurate with Factory Ammo, and I tightened the Group up even More with my Handloads
I was a Revolver Guy in the late 80's & Early 90's But I am an XD-40 Guy now, I am going to get the XD-45 in the near future and if it is anything like its Little Brother, the XD-40, I will be very Happy, and from what I have heard, the XD-45 is a VERY Pleasing Weapon
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???