• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Thinking about a handgun

Started by Roundman, March 03, 2007, 07:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

Cant say anything bad about the XD40 it is a great gun. It is the only semi auto pistol I could load any weight bullet or powder combo and not worry about FTF. The 40cal is also one great man stopper to boot.

I think you made a good decision with the XD40 :readthis: 
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

THO Game Calls

I'm with you Semp.  That 7 foot "rule" might be good text book learning, but it dont play in the real world.

The average man can cover 10 yards in less than 3 seconds.  Many less than 2 seconds.

5 yards in a second and a half

7 feet in less than a second.

If you wait until he is 7 feet from you to draw and fire you will be dead.

Even if you have your weapon drawn, if you wait until he is 7 feet from you, you better hope he isn't hopped up on drugs.

You better hope there is only one of them.

Run?  I might back away, but I dont run from anyone.  If you're dead, it will pretty hard to claim I shot you at more than 7 feet.

I'd damn sure rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 any day,

Al

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

cb223

When I took the CCW class we did an exercise to show how much ground a person could cover.

There was a shooter and a runner. Gun on a table unloaded with a magazine on the table also. The shooter and the runner were back to back. At the beep the shooter had to load the gun and put one round in a target 20 feet away. The runner ran in the opposite direction.. To make it short, the runner was about 30 yards away before the shot was fired and the shooter was a very experienced shooter.

The exercise was to show how fast an attacker could cover ground and how fast things could happen.

At 7 feet no way would a person have time to draw a gun.

I am a B class IPSC shooter. On a target 7 feet away my draw with a shot to the A zone is 1 second from the sound of the buzzer. That is from a race holster not concealed under a coat or shirt.

In my opinion at 7 feet it could be to late.
CHAD

vvarmitr

Omega has made some strong points for a hammerless revolver for concealed carry. 
Don't miss 'em over your anxiousness to shot someone.  :nofgr:
Don't think that a perp is going to come at you from a 100yds letting you know that they're going to threaten your life!
They could very well be w/in the 7' zone before you have any idea what is happening.  Poor time to find out your slide didn't have enough room to work. :shck:

cb223

Quote from: vvarmitr on December 30, 2007, 07:48:27 AM
Omega has made some strong points for a hammerless revolver for concealed carry. 
Don't miss 'em over your anxiousness to shot someone.  :nofgr:
Don't think that a perp is going to come at you from a 100yds letting you know that they're going to threaten your life!
They could very well be w/in the 7' zone before you have any idea what is happening.  Poor time to find out your slide didn't have enough room to work. :shck:

I'm not at all. He made some very valid points. 

I agree a hammerless revolver is probably the best handgun for carry.

CHAD

Roundman

Quote1.  What's it for?  Home defense?  Concealed Carry?

2.  How familiar are you with using semi autos?  revolvers?

It will be used for both HD and CC.
I have shot more semi autos than revolvers. But I can use both with the same results. I hope that  it never comes to the point that it would have to be pulled/used. I don't think any sane person would wants to kill anybody but if it's between him or me or my FAMILY I'll do what I have to do.

I'm with ya on the practice. I don't think you will ever know how you will react until you are put into a situation. 

The wife shoots a five shot S&W .38 hammerless. I like this gun but it's a little small for my hands.
I shoot the XD and so far I love it. It has features that let you know in the dark if it's loaded and cocked. It's been very accurate out to 25 yards. The trigger on the XD is the best I have ever had on a handgun.

Kuipdog

I really like my XD-9. I find it to be accurate like you said. I also have the little flashlight that fits under the barrel. I really like it. I am disabled and use crutches and it allows me to have a light and gun together. It works wonders for me!

Frogman

IDPA is a great shooting sport to help you hone your skills with your pistol.  Check my post under "Sport Shooting"  for more info.  Shooting under the pressure of a timer and all the people observing you is valuable.  Not even close to the stress of a real confrontation, but better than just shooting tight groups on a target or shooting pop cans.  Heaven forbid that I ever have to use my pistol, but if I do I hope I'm not facing another IDPA shooter.  Try to find a match in your area and go watch. 
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!