• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

+P Ammunition

Started by FinsnFur, December 19, 2011, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

I ran into that term tonight while doing some more research on these Kel-tecs :confused:

Google tells me that it's over pressurized ammunition.
Commonly magnums :shrug:
So is +P ammunition something thats only obtained by reloading? I dont think I've ever seen that description on a box of ammunition.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

Lots of +P ammunition for handguns available off the shelf.

weedwalker

Yes, there's +P available for several calibers of handguns. But only use it if your gun is rated for +P ammo. It's a hottoer load than standard ammo.

FinsnFur

Yeah some of the specs are saying the weapons are rated for it but not under continuous use.
I've never heard of +p ammo.....being available over the counter anyway.
I figured that was in your own hands by reloading.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

+P ammo is a little hotter than standard SAAMI ammo. And should be used only in +P rated guns.   That KelTec PF9 can handle +P ammo, just don't give it a steady diet of it.   Practice mostly with standard ammo and use +P for carry.

To be clear, +P is not as hot as a magnum.   They also make +P+ ammo.  Buffalo Bore is one manufacturer that comes to mind.  One has to be careful with these +P+ hot loads.   

Hawks Feather

I think your question has been answered, but will add that the +P is a nice "tweener" (like in the .38 cal.) between the .38 special and .357.  It works out pretty good for people who don't like the recoil of the magnum, but want a little more than the standard load if needed.  You can have the person practice with the .38 special rounds and then load the +P for a little more knock down power.

As has been stated, you don't want to use it in a firearm that is not tested for the +P loads, but any chambered for a magnum will take a +P with no problem.

Jerry 

slagmaker

WARNING if your shooting a 357magnum calabier handgun do not assume that you can fire 39 special +P ammo in it. It has to say +P rated.

I watched a fellow at a gun range seriously hurt two people and himself by using +P 38 special in a 357 magnum Taraus hadngun. He was under the impression that sense the firearm said magnum that he could shoot the "weaker" +P 38 special.  WHen he touched off his second round the cylinder broke apart it hurt both people stanidng to his sides and did a pretty good number on his hand
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Quote from: slagmaker on December 20, 2011, 09:13:38 AM
WARNING if your shooting a 357magnum calabier handgun do not assume that you can fire 39 special +P ammo in it. It has to say +P rated.

I watched a fellow at a gun range seriously hurt two people and himself by using +P 38 special in a 357 magnum Taraus hadngun. He was under the impression that sense the firearm said magnum that he could shoot the "weaker" +P 38 special.  WHen he touched off his second round the cylinder broke apart it hurt both people stanidng to his sides and did a pretty good number on his hand

That is hard to believe.  As Jerry stated, any 357 magnum hand gun should be able to handle +P .38 special ammo with no problem.  Maybe the guy was using hand loads that he "thought" were loaded correctly to +P but were not.   :shrug:

slagmaker

Magnum actually has nothing to do with pressure or speed or anything else you would think. It is actually refering to case size.  In truth a 357magnum is nothing more than a longer cased 38 special. When I get home and can get the data looked up I will post the info.

He was shooting store bought ammo.

FinsnFur

Brain candy right here.
Good info guys.  :congrats: :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

.38 Special is rated at 17,000 PSI
.38 Special +P is rated at 20,000 PSI
.357 Magnum is rated at 35,000 PSI

Are you sure he wasn't shooting .38 SUPER +P which is rated at 36,500 PSI?

.38 Special +P should not have caused any damage to his .357 Magnum. 

Jerry

slagmaker

I can not at this time find my data concerning +P ammo in 38 caliber. and with the migrain I am fighting I am not real worried about it at the moment. I do know that it stated the speed that the pressure went up was the major contributing factor to why you shouldnt run +P in a firearm unless it is stated from the firearm manufacturere that it was ok. Some 357mag firearms you can and some you cant. This is known to me.

When I find the info I will post it.

Yes Jim you can purchase store bought +P. The head stamp will even be stamped +P. Even the +P+ is stamped that way. I want to contact Ruger and see if my P90 can handel the +P+ 45ACP stuff. Federal sells 38 special +P for personal protection as well as some other manufacturers. It is mainly for personal protection and if you have ever fire off any of these rounds "especially in a small framed carry piece" you will quickley understand why. Very hard on the hand and elbow but in the same regards very effective bullet performance on the other end.

CCP

To help muddy the water a little there is +p+ ammo. This is some NATO and Law enforcement but can be found on the regular market from time to time.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Hey Rich  :eyebrow:

Quote from: Semp on December 20, 2011, 05:44:30 AM
They also make +P+ ammo.  Buffalo Bore is one manufacturer that comes to mind.  One has to be careful with these +P+ hot loads.

Quote from: slagmaker on December 20, 2011, 11:23:30 PM
The head stamp will even be stamped +P. Even the +P+ is stamped that way.

:wink: :eyebrownod:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

CCP

I think I should trying reading the whole post before I start typing.. :doh2: :doh2:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

nastygunz

My S&W Airweight .38 is stamped with +P...I shoot regular ammo out of it and carry it with the hot stuff in the tubes...I also shoot alot of .38 out of my .357, regular and +P and have never had a problem. I sent an email to Buffalo Bore and axed them and this is the reply:

" Of course it is ENTIRELY safe to the shooter to fire 38SPL of any flavor
(not just +P) out of any 357 firearm. It is absolutely unsafe to whomever
you are shooting at."

HaMeR

Diane's LC9 is not marked +P on the firearm. Even if it were I wouldn't run them thru this one. Those Hornady Self Defense loads are hot enough for her as they are. I've yet to find some of the cases from the +p they fly so far off. I can see the fire fly out the chamber with the spent casing also. Regular 9mm hardball doesn't do that.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

So the maker of the ammmo told you it was OK, not the manufacturer of the firearm?

nastygunz

Yupp, hey I aint writing a thesis on the subject, like I said I have been shooting .38+P out of my .357 for a long time with no problem so your statement made me curious, but just to be subjective I will also email the firearms manufacturer and ask them too and post their reply also. But I am pretty sure Buffalo Bore knows their stuff, however if Taurus tells me different I will assuredly pass that information along to Buffalo Bore also  :wink:

KySongDog