• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What the L did I see tonight ?

Started by bambam, March 01, 2014, 11:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bambam

OK guys. I've been hunting for over 40 years. Spent thousands of nights in the woods coon huntin, and hundreds of nights calling predators.

Never, ever saw a set of red eyes at night.

Until tonight.
My brother and I were trying to call in a yote. using a grey fox pup call. On our last stand, He shined the light and we saw a single red "eye ". I figured it was a reflector from a 4 wheeler or farm machinery that our other brother had moved, since we were on my grandma's farm.

Then there were 2 eyes.

Before I could raise the gun they disappeared. We kept calling and they re-appeared about 20 yards away, in some cedar brush. Gone again before I could get on them. Red as red can be.

They were the width of a fox or yote, but blood red. Any ideas what it could of been ?

No we weren't drunk.

FinsnFur

Most rodents eyes glow red under light, if I remember. Squirrel, possum, even rabbit.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

slagmaker

rabbit.

we used to shine rabbits in our yard during hard times. they glow red. you usually only see one eye at a time but when they look straight at you. if you keep the light on them they shy up and move away.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bambam

too wide for a rabbit. too bright too.

bambam

and also not an orange color like a rabbit. blood red, and large . way too big for a rabbit.

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Carolina Coyote

Okanagan

Racoon eyes show red sometimes.  But you fellows would be more familiar with them than I am.

JohnP

Call that TV program "In Search of Bigfoot" they'll come down and figure it out for ya.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

gravesco hunter

not saying it was a coon,but in my experience if a coon commits to a call at night he means business and ain't stoppin till the load hits him.

bambam

I'm beginning to think maybe it was a bobcat. Only bobcat I've called in and killed was in the daytime. Never called one in at night that I could be sure of, but the way it stayed in the brush and only showed it's eyes twice, for a short time, makes me think maybe a cat. Eyes were definitely too wide and large for a rabbit or coon. I just don't know.

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bambam

it was  white light, but the color shouldn't matter should it ? I've used lights with amber and red lenses before and never saw red eyes like that.

Dale

when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

HuntnCarve

Red fox eyes look like two red coals, especially when hit with a red light.  Seen a pile of them on their way into the call.

HuntnCarve

Dave

bambam

Thanks guys. I've used a red lens before but not very often. What about a bobcat, are their eyes red with a red lens ?

bigben

If you were using a white led with no filter you would see white back if it was a cat coyot or fox. Coon have a orangish tint to em. You get out what you put in. With red led or red filter you'll get red back. Jmo. I use whit led in pa at night and this has been true on all i have called in thats mentioned.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.