• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Savage 93F

Started by trailtwister, June 21, 2015, 08:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

I like to hunt squirrels with a Ruger 77-22 22lr. With me down to just a few rounds I decided a 22 mag was in order since I had walked into a store where the shelves was sagging from the weight of all the 22 mag shells.
I picked up a new Savage model 93F for just a tiny bit over $200.00 but a $25.00 rebate brought it down to less than $200 over all.
Went out to my back yard range to shoot it with the iron sights got reminded my eyes are not as young as they once were.
Off to Williams Gun sight Company in Davison Michigan not a real long drive and fun to look at all the used guns in racks while there too. Boy some gun owners know how to butcher some real nice guns.
Any way I ask the guy behind the counter for some scope mounts. He goes to a rack looks at a chart double checked I asked for mounts for a 93F Savage and hands me a pack and tells me to pay the cashier. I drive home happy I would be able to mount a nice scope on the rifle I had in my cave.
OH NO!!!!!! the mounts are not drilled correctly to fit the rifle. Couple days latter I go back to Williams to return the mounts and even took the rifle this time. Turns out not a mount in the store for this rifle was to be had, ya that package did say fit 93F. Turns out there is a heavy barrel 93F the mounts fit.
Send a E Mail to Savage what scope mounts fit my new 93F. I get a return E Mail that it has a grooved receiver and I didn't need any scope mounts just the rings.
I get the rifle out of the safe and take some pictures of the receiver and send them in a E mail back to savage and ask for them to0 circle the grooved receiver part in the picture and send it back as I just can't seem to see any grooves.

I get a Email back and it says OH you have that type of 93F and we will send you a set of mounts, should receive them in 7 to 10 days. I now am Really ticked off and send a Email back to just send them USPS flat rate and I will pay for it less that $5.00.
I get back they do use USPS flat rate but there is packing and shipping.
I send back just give me a Weaver number and I will get them at Williams. That got there fingers out of there --- (you fill in the blanks) and I got the mounts in 3 days. I got the scope mounted but no time to shoot the rifle as I had to get ready for Fire arm deer season and Muzzle loader season after that.

I shot the rifle 6 times with open sights never hit paper with it. Fiddled around with a company customer service rep that didn't know their own model rifles.

First Savage is a huge disappointment and probably will be the last new one I every buy.

:biggrin:   Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Hawks Feather

Sorry to hear of your problems.  I have a couple of Savage rifles and I do like the way they shoot. 

Graf and Sons https://www.grafs.com have .22 LR in stock.  They have always had the Eley, but have recently gotten in some lower priced (not cheap, but lower) .22.  They have Armscor for $50 a brick and Norma for $58 a brick.  There is a flat rate $7.95 shipping per order so it pays to not buy a dollar item.  Their flat rate shipping covers everything except items needing a HazMat fee.  I have never shot the Norma so I have a brick coming with some other needed items.

Jerry

JohnP

Jerry - Don't think you will be dis-satisfied with Norma ammo.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

gravesco hunter

NEVER have had any problems with a savage,now remington and ruger is another topic

Hawks Feather

John,

I have a 'fair' amount of Norma (centerfire) brass and it is extremely well made - second to Lapua but not by much.  This will be my first time shooting their .22.  I will probably keep the brass and see if I can get a guy I know to help me make the cases into bullets.

Jerry

trailtwister

Well I have had this rifle for a while now and though I would do a review to date.

Once I got it back and installed a Simmons fire fly scope a real cheapy that is working well with the rifle. After sighting it in at 75 yards I went squirrel hunting. I did real well 75 yards and less any thing more and I was in trouble, just couldn't figure the drop. Found a chart on rim fire drops and then I was nailing squirrels out to 90 yards. I am using CCI 30gr. V max ammo in it.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rimfire-rifles.html

Squirrel season ended but crow season started up and that 22mag shined on them I even got one sitting on a fence post at 129 yards by the range finder.

A problem cropped up after about 110 rounds thru it. I was sort of expecting it as most reviews say the clip is plain junk. I racked the bolt to eject a empty and the whole clip of ammo (4 rounds) flew out the port. Had to stop hunting the crows as I was having a horrible time trying to load it single shot. At home a bit of tweaking with a pair of channel locks had the clip working again for another 100 plus rounds.
I am searching for a aftermarket clip but so far am not having any luck finding any that people have reviewed.

Still all in all for a rifle that cost less than 200.00 out the door it isn't all bad of a shooter but wish I had spent the money fro a USED Ruger 77- 22mag to go with my 77- 22lr, 77-220 swift and 77- 243.

:biggrin:  Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.