• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My first rifle....

Started by coyote101, November 07, 2015, 12:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

.....was this Remington Model 12A, made in 1919. I've had it for about forty-five years. I hadn't shot it in several years, and can't remember the last time I hunted with it.

Well, this morning I decided to change all that, and took it to the squirrel woods in search of the elusive bushy tail. I only saw a couple, but luck was with me on this one:

A big male fox squirrel.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HuntnCarve

That's awesome Pat!  Nice when you can connect with your past.  I can only imagine the memories that hunt brought back...

Dave

riverboss

Very nice rifle Pat what's the barrel length? It looks long.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

coyote101

Quote from: riverboss on November 07, 2015, 02:02:11 PM
Very nice rifle Pat what's the barrel length? It looks long.

It's 22 inches, Dan.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Dale

looks like you had a good day, old friend to the woods and a fine looking squirrel to boot...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

riverboss

It looks longer I guess its the short feed tube.
The scope looks like it very old also.

coyote101

Quote from: riverboss on November 07, 2015, 02:35:20 PM
It looks longer I guess its the short feed tube.
The scope looks like it very old also.

The scope is an old, El Paso made, Weaver B6 in an N5 side mount. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess it was made in the 50's.

Pat
NRA Life Member

riverboss

Very cool outfit very cool.

coyote101

NRA Life Member

nastygunz

Beautiful gun !  You need to ship me a breeder pair of them fox squirrels  :wink: :biggrin: :innocentwhistle:

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on November 07, 2015, 05:01:45 PM
Beautiful gun !
You need to ship me a breeder pair of them fox squirrels  :wink: :biggrin: :innocentwhistle:

Thanks Nasty, it is a cool old gun.

I don't think I can ship them so I guess you'll have to come to Kentucky and get some for yourself.  ;yes;

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

I swear one of these days I'm going to take a trip just to hunt fox squirrel !   I grew up in the mountains in Vermont where the only squirrel was the red pine squirrel.   As I got older and got a license and motor vehicle I expanded my range to hunt what I considered the king of the squirrels, the elusive gray squirrel down in the bottom lands.  But I have to say bagging one of those giant red beauties would be the peak of my squirrel hunting career.

coyote101

Come on down. :biggrin: You could always come to LBL in February and hunt some squirrels.  :eyebrow:

Pat
NRA Life Member

pitw

How's the old beaut work?  I mean like is the action still great as the gun seems in seriously good condition?  Or did ya miss once. :innocentwhistle:
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on November 07, 2015, 06:38:21 PM
How's the old beaut work?  I mean like is the action still great as the gun seems in seriously good condition? 

It still works pretty well Barry, the action is reasonably smooth and it's minute-of-squirrel-head accurate.

Quote from: pitw on November 07, 2015, 06:38:21 PM
Or did ya miss once. :innocentwhistle:

Yes I did.  :rolleye: I missed what should have been a pretty easy shot on a gray squirrel.  :argh: Luckily this big red showed up a little later and I redeemed myself.  :thumb2:

Pat
NRA Life Member

Hawks Feather

There is nothing like taking an old friend out to the woods to bring back memories.

Jerry

nastygunz

That old scope is just about as cool  as the old gun.

HaMeR

Dang thats a nice rig Pat!! Glad you took it out & busted one with it!! Gonna use it a couple more times?
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Quote from: HaMeR on November 08, 2015, 06:44:45 AM
Dang thats a nice rig Pat!! Glad you took it out & busted one with it!! Gonna use it a couple more times?

I may take it out a few more times Glen

Pat
NRA Life Member

FinsnFur

:congrats: I cant believe how good of shape its in. Someone took pretty good care of it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com