• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My latest project

Started by coyote101, November 13, 2015, 03:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Thompson-Center Encore .50 caliber muzzle loading pistol.

I had a local gunsmith cut a rifle barrel to 15 inches, re-crown it, and reposition the ramrod spindle. I shortened, reshaped, and refinished the fore end. Then shortened the ramrod and refinished and added the pistol grip. Topped with a Leupold 4X EER pistol scope.

I had hoped to take a deer with it this year, but I haven't shot it yet and don't know that I will get a chance to before the season is over. We'll see.

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Dale

nice looking work... what are you planning to shoot for a load?...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

coyote101

Quote from: Dale on November 13, 2015, 06:50:16 PM

I'm not sure yet Dale. I think I'll start with 80 grains of loose Pyrodex or Goex black powder and work up from there till I find something reasonably accurate. I have several different .50 cal. bullets to try, so it will likely be a lot of experimenting unless I get lucky and find a good load early on.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Very nice. Do you hold your head off to the side when you squeeze one off?  :laf:

.....I meant when you shoot the gun :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I like it Pat!! That's a cool idea. Gonna look dandy laying across the shoulders of the lucky 1st harvested!! Maybe see it on a coyote or 2 sometime??  :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dale

Quote from: coyote101 on November 13, 2015, 07:08:23 PM
Quote from: Dale on November 13, 2015, 06:50:16 PM

I'm not sure yet Dale. I think I'll start with 80 grains of loose Pyrodex or Goex black powder and work up from there till I find something reasonably accurate. I have several different .50 cal. bullets to try, so it will likely be a lot of experimenting unless I get lucky and find a good load early on.

Pat

my biggest concern would be finding a load that would burn completely in that short barrel length...

with a cased cartridge I'd just go to a slightly faster powder, but not sure with a charcoal burner... the only time I fooled with a short barreled/pistol was 40+ years ago in Germany, and I think we shot 3F instead of the 2F we used for the long guns...

it will be interesting to hear your results as you experiment with it and get a load developed... when I had the BP barrel for my Encore, I shot pellets only except for a fouling shot first thing in the morning I used a pinch of loose pyrodex or whatever other synthetic I had on hand...

one thing about it unlike smokeless you don't have much to worry about pressure, just keep your bullets seated tight... no air gaps...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...