• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Slings

Started by trailtwister, December 18, 2015, 11:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtwister

First off I will ask what you like for a real rifle not some plastic shot thing that weighs less than 6 pounds.

I always preferred a simple 1" leather strap type. Then I started hunting a lot farther back across cranberry bogs after walking a mile or more down the road.
I was given a 2" wide Butler Creek Neoprene sling as a gift and really like it a lot installed on my Remington 700 Muzzle loader and even on the Remington 700 Mountain rifle. I liked it so well when I bought my second Remington 700 Muzzle loader I bought another one but not butler creek. It is almost 3 years old and coming apart.
I think I am going to go back to the simple 1" wide leather slings.

:D  Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

slagmaker

I like my leather sling over the neoprene one I have. I just don't care for the springy feel of the neoprene.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

On the flatlands I love a wide padded leather sling I picked up on a horse trade rifle years ago.  Wide is good.  Weight is irrelevant.  Like Slag, I didn't care for the springy feel of neoprene.   However...

:biggrin:  I carry the lightest weight, skinny barreled, Tupperware stocked rifle that I could find in a relatively reasonable price.  One mountain goat hunt will usually produce a hankering for a light weight rifle.  Though my goat I took with a heavy old sporterized 03-A3 with a homemade heavy walnut stock, original long barrel uncut.  But I was younger, stronger, not quite as smart and mostly poorer.   Alpine mule deer and blacktail... multi-day backpack hunts.  Like anything, it depends on how we use the tool.

I made my own sling for my light rifle out of the lightest weight 1"synthetic webbing.  A little rubber cement on the under side along the area where it goes over my shoulder keeps it from slipping as much. 

Re stocks: our constant wet makes synthetic superior to wood in most practical matters of ballistics.  Ditto stainless.

pitw

I think Jim just uses a cloth sling. :innocentwhistle:

Leather for me but it's probably cause I dislike modern. :wo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

To (defend?) myself  :innocentwhistle:  I admire  quality wood stocks and blue steel.  The best ones are works of art.

I have a custom Mauser in a fiddleback walnut stock, palm swell, very pretty and comes to my shoulder like a kiss in the moonlight.  With a glossy blued 26 inch Douglas Premium heavy barrel, it doesn't bounce around on target but settles the crosshairs with hefty solid mass.   My younger son liked the way it shot so much that he carried it above timberline on backpack hunts sometimes while he was in his 20's.   

Now at age 40 and living on the wet side, he bought himself two lighter weight stainless plastic rifles.   What is this modern world coming to...

nastygunz

I use clothesline or bailing twine for slings, im from Vermont.  :biggrin:

coyote101

I use the same sling on almost every gun.  It is made of two pieces of rubber, about the thickness of an inner tube, joined in the middle by a buckle, and covered with a camo sleeve. There are loops on each end which slip over the barrel and stock. To carry it, I put it over my right arm and head and the gun hangs, hands free, at my right side. There is enough stretch in the rubber that I can shoulder the firearm and shoot if I need to, but if I'm on stand, or know that I will be taking a shot, I take the sling off.

I bought it from a guy at a deer expo over twenty years ago who was making them in his garage or basement. I wish I had bought more than one, because if this one wears out, or I lose it, I don't know what I'll do. 

Here it is on my .22:

On the shotgun:

On the Encore muzzle loader:

On the Encore rifle:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

One of these works pretty well and is similar to what coyote101 uses in that it wraps around barrel and stock.  No sling studs are needed.

Butler Creek shotgun sling

HaMeR

I like the one Johnny posted the most. I got rid of my other slings once I got that one. And I rarely use that one.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11