• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Ruger American Predator .308

Started by KySongDog, March 24, 2016, 09:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Any one got one of these?  Pro's con's?  I'm thinking of picking one up.  I've seen mostly favorable reviews but wanted to see what you guys thought of it.  Is Savage a better way to go?  Deer hunting is the primary use. 

Hawks Feather

I can not help you at all with the Ruger but that is due to the fact that I bought the Savage in a model 10 several years ago.  The model that I have has the Accutrigger (which they all have now), larger bolt handle, synthetic camo stock, and heavy barrel.  While not a 'heavy' rifle, it is not one that I would want to use as an all-day carry gun.  Sit and stalk would be fine or maybe it would help if I just got in better shape. At the time I also looked at other brands, but I do like the Accutrigger and it was a way to keep from needing a replacement trigger or trigger work right away.  I put a scope on it and took it to the range with some left over reloads that I had from a .308 that I had sold many years ago.  I was getting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards which I thought was pretty good for reloads that were not made for that rifle.  It has been in the safe since that initial firing, but I probably should take it out and get some ammo around made to the Savage 10 specs.  Here is a link to a 2012 article about the one I have.  https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/savage-model-10-fcp-sr-sniper-rifle-new-gun-review/

Jerry

KySongDog

That is a sweet looking rifle, Jerry.  I like the box magazine and fluted barrel.  The msrp is a little above my max and, like you said, it is on the heavy side somewhat.  But I like it.  I'll try to find one at my local dealer and see how it handles. 

KySongDog

After doing a lot of research and looking twice at my budget, I ended up going with the Ruger. 

I got the rifle primarily for deer hunting and am pretty sure it will do that job OK for me.  My shots have rarely been more than 100 yards and most of the time a lot less than that.  But I am interested in how this gun will group at 100 yards. After I get a scope mounted and can get to the range I'll update with the results.

FinsnFur

Quote from: KySongDog on March 31, 2016, 07:45:54 PM
  But I am interested in how this gun will group at 100 yards. After I get a scope mounted and can get to the range I'll update with the results.

:jump: The fun part
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I have a couple Ruger rifles and like them.  I am sure that you will be able to 'minute of deer' from your new rifle.  Looking forward to an update after it is scoped and sighted in.

Jerry

KySongDog

The scope I ordered finally came in so off to the range I went.

After sighting in, this three shot group was the result with  Federal 168 grain match king loads.  Shot off of a rest at 100 yards. The shot to the left was the final one and I know I anticipated that one a little.  The first two felt real good.

Here's a pic of the rifle.  It's threaded so a suppressor might be in it's future.   They are legal for hunting in Kentucky.

JohnP

Good looking rifle, can't beat a .308 I have several of them and they all shoot good.  Hard to beat a 168gr matchking, that is all I shoot in mine.  If you're reloading I would suggest IMR 3031.  What scope is that and do the threads have a protective cap?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

John
The scope is a Leapers UTG 3-12x44 Compact Accushot.  It's a cheap scope but should be adequate for my needs.  Time will tell if it holds zero or not.  The elevation, windage and parallax turrets are all lockable. There are no protective caps on the turrets.   The rifle is threaded 5/8x24 and has a protective cap.

The scope    http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?itemno=SCP3-UM312AOIEW

Hawks Feather

Nice looking set up and I the group looks good.  No deer will be safe.

Jerry

pitw

Is that one of them 5oz silver quarters in the pic. :biggrin:

You got two more shot's in the target from a 3 shot group than I usually do and 3 on some days. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

I really like the looks of that setup and sure you will enjoy shooting it.  :yoyo: cc

Hawks Feather

Ohio allows suppressors for hunting too.  The cost of the suppressor is bad, but the federal tax stamp and all the paperwork that goes along with it makes it really a pain.  I have a friend who started the paperwork several months ago and he said that he was told it would probably take at least six months.  But for an upside, another friend has a suppressor on a Ruger 10/22 and the bolt makes more noise when it shoots than the ammo.  I have a Savage Mark II, FV-SR that is threaded and I think that would be REALLY quiet since it is a bolt gun and would not have the action noise that the 10/22 does. Another side note - a couple of years ago a couple of guys from England were in town and their hosts gave me a call and asked if I could let them shoot some handguns because in England all handguns are illegal.  I said sure and when we were out shooting they told me that they have to keep their state approved and licensed rifles in a club safe and then sign them out for hunts.  I asked what they hunted and they told me hares at night with suppressed .22 rifles.  They would spotlight them and then shoot away.  I asked what requirements were on the suppressor and they said none.   

Jerry

KySongDog

I've heard before that the european countries do not have many restrictions on suppressors.  Of course, one can not get a gun to put the suppressor on but that's another issue.  :laf: 

It does seem strange that in America you have to have a muffler on your car, truck or motorcycle but not on your gun. 

Hawks Feather

Quote from: KySongDog on April 09, 2016, 12:21:07 PM
It does seem strange that in America you have to have a muffler on your car, truck or motorcycle but not on your gun.

How true.

Jerry