• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Snypa!

Started by nastygunz, December 19, 2016, 08:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Being locked into our usual freezing New Hampshire winter I was looking for some options for some indoor target practice. I use my blowgun quite a lot and I have to pump up pellet pistols but I am sick of retrieving darts and pumping up air pistols.  I recall having a great time this summer with two of my little nieces with a Daisy red Ryder carbine bb gun shooting off a picnic table at soda cans sitting on a sawhorse they had a riot and actually so did I with the simplicity of the little red Ryder carbine.  So I decided to get one for myself for some low velocity very simple basement range target shooting.  In my search for the ultimate BB gun I discovered the Daisy 499B and purchased it:

http://www.daisy.com/node/106

The Daisy Model 499B Champion has been dubbed "the most accurate BB gun in the world" time and time again. This spring air rifle is used by thousands of shooting education programs to instruct youth on shooting safety, safe carries, shooting positions and marksmanship skills. The stained solid wood stock features the "Official Shooting Education BB Gun by Daisy" medallion. This gun is a single shot, muzzle-loader, designed to be used in a one-on-one coaching situation and comes equipped with a precision micrometer adjustable rear peep sight and a competition sling . The Daisy Champion is the only BB gun approved for use at the premier BB gun event, the Daisy National BB Gun Championship Match. If you’re interested in shooting incredibly tight groups at 5 meters with a BB gun or if you’re interested in starting a shooting class and competitive team, the Daisy Model 499B Champion is for you. The Daisy Model 499B Champion is designed specifically for controlled and supervised training use only.

I just got it today, I bought it from Dick's Sporting Goods who had the best price on it, it is actually a good size little rifle with a really nice wooden fit and finish pretty impressive really. I have to pick up some ammo and then do some testing and shooting with it.

It has really good reviews all over the Internet and from what I have read it is capable of shooting bb"s through the same hole all day long.

slagmaker

Never heard of a muzzleoading bb gun. But it sounds cool. About perfect for training
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Ewww Boyeee...there go the couch cushions, interior doors, and drywall :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

I am working on designing a high-tech bb trap  :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

HaMeR

I think I got lost somewhere between the "I" & the "high tech" in your post nasty. Could you please elaborate on this??  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

Apparently you're not aware of my high-tech fabrication skills  :innocentwhistle: :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Quote from: nastygunz on December 20, 2016, 12:54:12 PM
Apparently you're not aware of my high-tech fabrication skills  :innocentwhistle: :yoyo:

Fair enough!!  :laf: :laf:

I can just see your BB trap having a BB return like a bowling alley!!  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

Quote from: HaMeR on December 21, 2016, 07:03:25 AM
Quote from: nastygunz on December 20, 2016, 12:54:12 PM

Fair enough!!  :laf: :laf:

I can just see your BB trap having a BB return like a bowling alley!!  :alscalls: :alscalls:

LOL
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

nastygunz

That is exactly what I was thinking on a BB return ha ha. I can't afford to be wasting bbs when they cost 7.99 for 6000! We New Englanders are thrifty 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

HaMeR

At $0.0013316667/bb I would be thinking the same thing!!   :loco:

:alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

nastygunz

After a lot of engineering and fabricating I went from the design stage to the actual construction of my BB gun bb trap. After the bb goes through the target it hits the cloth covered foam pad and bounces into the removable recycling box so that the bb can be reused. I also added a storage box on the end and a handle !

I may have to market this bad boy  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Okanagan

Love the BB trap!  Yours is well thought out, well engineered and the workmanship is... well... something to behold! :highclap:

I made a BB trap one time.  Maybe you can put yours to similar use.  Way back once upon a time we lived in a trailer house on an Indian Rez, set out in an alfalfa field.  Mice would invade the trailer each Fall looking for warmer living quarters.  (Mice are not very smart.)  I made a backstop for BB's built into a box laid on its side.  We'd put a cardboard tray of mouse bait in the box with the open top facing our couch and shoot any mouse that stopped to sniff the bait.

We shot them with a pump up BB rifle that belonged to Code's Dad who was 8 or 10 years old at that time.  My boss loved it when he came to visit us and he insisted on sleeping on the couch so that he could snipe at mice all night.  Our rule was no shooting at mice outside of the BB backstop.

Code's Dad must have been a sniper also but I don't remember many details except that once in awhile we'd lose a wounded mouse and then find it days later half a room away behind a bookshelf or something.  Code's grandmother was not amused... but she stayed married to me.

pitw

That is pretty neat Nasty but the target says you may be shooting a bit high,low or wide. :shrug:
Great story again Ok. :bowingsmilie:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet because due to Christmas sales every store in the areas out of bb"s!  I finally ordered some from Walmart and they should be in tomorrow. Here is an example of shopping around online for the best deal, Dick's sporting goods had 6000 bbs for 12.99 and Walmart had the exact same 6000 count Daisy BBs for 6.97  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Quote from: pitw on December 28, 2016, 10:50:20 PM
That is pretty neat Nasty but the target says you may be shooting a bit high,low or wide. :shrug:
Great story again Ok. :bowingsmilie:

nastygunz

That damn yellow duct tape clashes, but there was no way I was going to use up my camo duct tape on that project!  When you were on the couch shooting mice out of your bb trap were you wearing a Gilly suit? I heard that's the way to go  :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

Quote from: Okanagan on December 28, 2016, 08:50:11 PM
Love the BB trap!  Yours is well thought out, well engineered and the workmanship is... well... something to behold! :highclap:

I made a BB trap one time.  Maybe you can put yours to similar use.  Way back once upon a time we lived in a trailer house on an Indian Rez, set out in an alfalfa field.  Mice would invade the trailer each Fall looking for warmer living quarters.  (Mice are not very smart.)  I made a backstop for BB's built into a box laid on its side.  We'd put a cardboard tray of mouse bait in the box with the open top facing our couch and shoot any mouse that stopped to sniff the bait.

We shot them with a pump up BB rifle that belonged to Code's Dad who was 8 or 10 years old at that time.  My boss loved it when he came to visit us and he insisted on sleeping on the couch so that he could snipe at mice all night.  Our rule was no shooting at mice outside of the BB backstop.

Code's Dad must have been a sniper also but I don't remember many details except that once in awhile we'd lose a wounded mouse and then find it days later half a room away behind a bookshelf or something.  Code's grandmother was not amused... but she stayed married to me.

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11