• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.22 shotgun.

Started by nastygunz, December 24, 2016, 07:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

You may have noticed I like the odd kind of guns. I have been looking for one of these for a long time for a decent price and have this one coming in from Kittery trading post in Maine for $195.00.  It is a smooth bore .22 Long rifle, manufactured with no rifling especially to use .22 rat shot.
      Back in the day they called them garden guns. One of the more famous ones was the marble game getter,  this one is rated 98% condition wise:

http://archives.collectorsfirearms.com/?page=263&category=&product=R16910

Savage model Mark I in smooth bore, for shot only! , 100% blue, nice hardwood, and hard rubber butt-plate. This is a single shot bolt action rifle NIB. Never been fired, comes with paper work. these rifles are made for only short periods of time, then become collectible!Barrel is 21". Shot cartridges, are used for rodent control, bird problems, and trick shooting, at tossed targets in the air, like glass balles, and breakable objects!

pitw

Wouldn't it have been more fun to shoot the rifling's outta a gun. :shrug:

Cool gun for sure.
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

Man, I got to play with one of those shooting spatzeys out of the barn when I was a young man. Lot of fun. The peletts would kill varmint animals but not pierce the tin roof. Can't find crimped end bird shot 22's hardly around here. All I can find is the CCI capsule type.

Cool find nasty.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

nastygunz

With a single shot bolt action I would wear out before the rifling did  :alscalls: :biggrin:

Quote from: pitw on December 24, 2016, 09:01:04 PM
Wouldn't it have been more fun to shoot the rifling's outta a gun. :shrug:

Cool gun for sure.

nastygunz

The Kittery trading post is a New England landmark, they have a great selection of new and used guns and it's really easy to buy and ship. I find all kinds of good stuff In their online gun section.

http://www.ktpguns.com

Quote from: slagmaker on December 24, 2016, 09:52:39 PM
Man, I got to play with one of those shooting spatzeys out of the barn when I was a young man. Lot of fun. The peletts would kill varmint animals but not pierce the tin roof. Can't find crimped end bird shot 22's hardly around here. All I can find is the CCI capsule type.

Cool find nasty.

nastygunz

Here is one of the many reasons I hate the federal government! The gunsmith calls me and tells me my .22 smoothbore rifle is in so we agreed to meet today at his shop so we can do the FFL transfer and background check. 

So I go there which is about 10 miles away one way, we unboxed the gun it is in perfect shape he said it doesn't look like it is ever even been fired so we go to do the background check and the first time the menu on the line accidentally hung up on him.

So he calls the number again and has them on speakerphone and he has to go through the whole list of selections he gets a message that says due to high call volume we are unable to process your call today.

He tells me well I have never had that happen before, so he tries again he gets the exact same message.  So long story short he is going to call me when he actually gets through to them and I'll drive up again and pick up my gun. 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

slagmaker

Don't that just make ya want to shoot a small winged animal.

nastygunz

It makes me want to shoot something but I wasn't thinking small and winged   :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle:

Whittaker Guns ‏@WhittakerGuns
#Savage MKIG #smoothbore #22LR now IN STOCK! Only ones in the USA! Link in bio! @ Whittaker Guns 

It looks like a few places still have these in stock :

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/2427179

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on December 31, 2016, 05:23:59 PM
It makes me want to shoot something but I wasn't thinking small and winged   :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle: :innocentwhistle:

Whittaker Guns ‏@WhittakerGuns
#Savage MKIG #smoothbore #22LR now IN STOCK! Only ones in the USA! Link in bio! @ Whittaker Guns 

It looks like a few places still have these in stock :

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/2427179

Whittaker's is less than an hour from me. I get up there every once in a while. Always a large selection.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

I just saw this thread and was going to comment on Whittaker's.  I saw that smooth bore 22lr the last time I was there and thought what the heck would one do with that?   :laf:

Whittaker's is the largest gun dealer in KY with about 8,000 guns in stock.  They are a class 3 dealer and are building a new 24,000 sq ft store. 

CCP

2 years ago I looked real hard for one for about a month no luck. However reading at rim-fire central some of these guys found some shot out single shots and drilled them out. So my quest begin to find some old 22lr single shot that had been shot out and get drilled out.

In the past 2 years I have bought 5 old single shots that appeared to be shot out and bad bores from pawn shops from 40 to 60 dollars. However after cleaning the lead out i found they had great bores and shot well and after refinishing the stocks I just cant seem to want to drill them out. LOL

I ended up giving away 3 to kids with their fathers at the range and held on to 2 old sears branded ones.

I may get serious enough to drill one of those out but still look in pawn shops once a month.

My original and still my plan is to use the single shot bolt action drill out rifling and shoot cci shotshells.     
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

slagmaker

I have used the CCI shot shells out of my bolt action riflet and my 10/22. Had no issues with the rifling what so ever. The only issue was with the 10/22 as they didn't have the power to cycle the action. But that was easy enough to remiedy by just holding the bolt closed and manually working the action.

I use the CCI shells for popping wood bees and taking care of vermin birds in the barn. The pellets will leave a mark on the tin roof but won't pierce it or leave a dent. Now on the siding of the garage, if I am too close it will do more than mark it.

nastygunz

I have some CCI ammo but I got two boxes of the crimped end ammo from Academy. 50 rounds in each box 9.99 a box I think it was.  I read that the smoothbore works a lot better than the rifled and doubles the distance and holds a good pattern the, chipmunks R going to catch hell this spring  :yoyo:

I am thinking about prying the end of one of the crimped shells open and put in some 7 1/2 shot down the hole😉

slagmaker

Crimped will only work in a smooth bore. I have never tried the CCI in a smooth bore so I have no idea how they would perform.

nastygunz

I think it might make a good anti-hornet and wasp weapon too. Although being a bolt action single shot I might be overwhelmed if I tackle a nest of Yellowjackets. Them little effers are vicious!  Oh, I finally did take possession of the chipmunk cannon!  :yoyo: :highclap: