• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Crazy running shot on coyote!

Started by brodieross, January 20, 2017, 08:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brodieross

You'll want to take a look at this shot, a lot of luck, but man its cool. Coyote down!

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Okanagan

Your fun is infectious!  Thanks for posting this one. 

Man that was a lucky shot but there is some serious skill at work as well.

Re the misfire:  in the close-up of the guilty cartridge, the primer shows a barely dimpled primer.  IME that indicates a lighter than normal strike of the firing pin, not a hard enough hit on the primer to ignite it.  Again IME that has always been due to cold, usually due to ice in the trigger/bolt shroud enclosing the firing pin.  The usual sequence is a mis-fire followed by a normal shot on the next round.  The firing pin is slowed by ice (or cold stiff grease/lubricant) on the first shot but it breaks enough ice that the pin falls freely on the next shot.  Don't know if that is what happened or not but it is likely. 

Taking a cold firearm into a warm vehicle or room condenses water on all metal parts, inside and out.  If all of that dries out, no problem.  But if even a trace of moisture remains inside the bolt or inside the trigger group, it will freeze when the rifle goes back into the cold.  I clicked on a 6x6 bull elk one morning...

Nowadays on cold mornings I dry fire the piece once when the rifle is fully cold.  Listen.  You can hear the difference if the firing pin is not falling properly.  You can often hear a tiny "chink" sound of ice breaking.  In temps fluctuating above and below freezing, I dry fire once or twice more during the course of the day or at the start of each calling stand.  Also, for hunting in serious cold, get all of the grease out of the rifle. 

Your drone?  You are a good film maker, way better than most hunting videos though I have not watched many because they are poorly done and have awful music.

brodieross

I believe that is what happened... I thought he forgot to load the gun and I was like are you kidding me!? Haha.

The drone is my friends but we do so filming together so he helped me out. They're a pricey investment. 

Thanks a lot, I try my best to make it different and intriguing compared to other videos if I have enough good footage to use.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

FinsnFur

:eyebrownod: SERIOUS luck right there, shooting through the edge of the woods. Pretty surprising.
Love the drone shots
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

I was reading the comments above before watching the vid and was thinking "ahh some guys can track running critters pretty good and they're not giving enough credit" - then I watched the clip.  What a lucky shot! - but do agree with Okanagan there's a higher level of skill involved also! - Nice job.

nastygunz

Okanagan,  total agreement on a lot of videos have horrible music, most of the time I turn the volume off and watch the video.

kyfuzzyface

A lot of luck there on that shot but you never know unless to try, Congrats  :highclap:
Fuzzy