• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First attempt at smoking ribs

Started by Okanagan, May 29, 2017, 10:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

I've smoked salmon and made smoked jerky (and keep intending to do Dave's pastrami) but I realized that my digital smoker has settings high enough to slow cook a turkey or other meat.  This process is slow barbequed pork ribs.  I made up my own rub, my own spritz and barbecue sauce and cooked the ribs at a max of 240 degrees  for four hours in alder smoke.  The last 45 minutes they were wrapped in foil which according to a youtube video tenderizes them.  They turned out moist, tender, fabulous.  My smoker obviously runs hotter on one side so next time will lower the heat a bit, but the blackened part was only a bark on the tender meat inside.

The reason I did my own rub and sauce was that I dislike sweet barbecue.  If I want candy, I will buy some. If I want meat, as in MEAT, as in caveman MEAT I prefer it to taste like savory meat.  The dry rub had lots of black pepper, coarse kosher salt, a majority of Rudy's Rub, plus garlic powder, onion powder, and no sugar.  The sauce was a mix of tomato sauce, mustard, onion and garlic powder, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, white vinegar (the only kinds of vinegar I had on hand), and a bit of honey just enough to knock the edge from the lemon.  The ribs turned out great without any sauce but it made a nice side dip for some bites.

They turned out perfect for me but next time I will back off a tad on the pepper in the rub for my wife's preference.

coyote101

They look excellent.  :thumb2: Now I guess I'm going to have to break out my smoker.  :wink:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

I too will have to try doing this - or at least go order some somewhere.
They look incredible.

Hawks Feather

I think we should ban all meat posts.  Posts like this one just keep me coming back and making me more and more hungry.

Jerry

P.S.  Those look extremely good for a first attempt.

pitw

Dang them probably are pooh by now.  Bet they tasted great though.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com