• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

It's an elk, deer, goose, grouse and football kind of Fall.

Started by Okanagan, September 19, 2017, 12:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

As usual in recent years, I enjoy hunting stories from kids and grand-kids more than I hunt my self.   Code missed a plus 50 yard shot at a bull elk, then killed a Canada goose at 65 yards, all legal with goose stamp and open bow season.  He has sneaked on several bulls and passed what he considered poor shots at two bulls, one of them frontal at 45 yards.  The bull he shot at was quartering away, looking at him and he said that it ducked the arrow.   

He found a big blacktail buck that he saw once.  He has passed several small bucks and several legal does while trying for the big buck but now is ready to shoot any legal deer if he gets another chance.

I have killed one grouse and picked three pies worth of huckleberries while pretending to hunt deer.  Last Friday night we had 22 extended family members in the stands for a high school football game where I had three grandsons on the field. 

riverboss

Sounds like your doing just fine.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

coyote101

I'm going on my first elk hunt next month.   :yahoo: Too bad I can't get Code to guide me.  ;yes;

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

It does sound like everyone is keeping busy and that is a good thing.

Jerry

Okanagan

Quote from: coyote101 on September 19, 2017, 08:39:49 PM
I'm going on my first elk hunt next month.   :yahoo: Too bad I can't get Code to guide me.  ;yes;

Pat

Best of luck!  There is something extra special about hunting elk. They are a beautiful animal in their setting:  cream and coffee, cinnamon and black.  Any elk is a trophy, and most of them are superb on the table.

Thanks for the compliment re Code.  After watching him for the past couple of seasons that's not just flattery anymore about having him guide.  He is 20 years old now.   If I had decided to hunt BC this Fall for elk, he had agreed to come help me.   Last Fall on our impromptu Oct. 1 drive to the Yukon and back, he spent an afternoon on a mountainside with six herds of Rocky mountain elk in northern BC.  He had all six bulls talking to him and had a big 6x6 come right up to him.  His Dad and I watched from the river valley below and most of the time could see Code and the elk in an old burn and listen to them.   He got within bow range of several bulls, though he wasn't hunting, merely taking pics of wild bulls right after the end of rifle elk season.

He saw a Roosevelt bull a few days ago that he figured would score over 300, and the next day he stalked to within 40 yards of it without getting a shot.  He came home to work for two days and then went back out there tonight in the rain for the last two days of bow season.  Fortunately his boss is an elk hunter!

Pat, hope you bring home a fine elk with lifetime memories plus stories and pics.

pitw

Would sooner watch this kind of football than any paid guys.
Code impress's without even trying. :bowingsmilie:
Saw a cow and calf yesterday that had just come off my land.
Luck Pat.
I say what I think not think what I say.

riverboss

Good luck Pat! What state you hunting in?

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

riverboss

Good luck. Check out Rokslide on Tapatalk lots of info on they're.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on September 19, 2017, 12:54:03 PM
I have killed one grouse and picked three pies worth of huckleberries while pretending to hunt deer. 

LOL...it still beats the alternative :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

QuoteI have killed one grouse and picked three pies worth of huckleberries while pretending to hunt deer. 

My kind of hunt Ok!! Id rather pack out 3 pies & kill them all by myself too!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Spent yesterday evening with my Daughter & SIL plus Weston & Wyatt at the fair here. Had me a $50 fish samich by the time it was all said & done!!

That would have been awesome to see 3 Grandsons all playing at once!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dave

Sounds like a lot going on up there Clyde. All fun stuff keeping you busy! Keep us updated on Cody and the boys.
And if you're reading this, Cody, good luck and post some of your pics and vids on here - we all enjoy seeing what we'll never see.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Sat. night, just got home from another football game and helping Cody cut and wrap elk meat.  He got a 5x5 bull the last morning of the season.   Expect he will post pics and story when he recovers.

My wife would kick me if she knew that I omitted our cheerleader granddaughter.  I overheard two strangers at the game commenting on how many last names were from one family.   :innocentwhistle:

Okanagan

Quote from: coyote101 on September 20, 2017, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: riverboss on September 20, 2017, 11:21:17 AM
Good luck Pat! What state you hunting in?

Idaho in area 32A.

Pat

Pat. I hunted Idaho area 22 which borders 32A to the west.  I have general knowledge of terrain, vegetation, weather etc. if it is of any use.   My last trip there was 15-20 years ago but I hunted it five different seasons, three years for deer only and two for elk only.  Took two average 6x6 elk and one fork horn buck on my way driving out one season after passing a good number of bucks.  I always set my level too high for deer over there, but that tasty little buck made a mistake when he stepped into the road as I started driving the logging road home skunked.

pitw

Quote from: Okanagan on September 24, 2017, 11:54:22 AMbut that tasty little buck made a mistake when he stepped into the road as I started driving the logging road home skunked.

Say it ain't so. :holdon:

Nice too hear the truth once in a spell. :biggrin: :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Dave

Quote from: Okanagan on September 23, 2017, 10:05:16 PM
... Cody cut and wrap elk meat.  He got a 5x5 bull the last morning of the season.   Expect he will post pics and story when he recovers.

Congrats Cody - looking forward to hearing about it!

Okanagan

We can add black bear to the list of Fall ingredients.  Day before yesterday I watched a black bear feed on mountain ash berries 200 yards from me across an alpine basin during one of those fabulous days afield that we get once in awhile.

Left the house by 4:30 AM and was heading up a steep bad road toward timberline as it got light, looking for a deer.  Killed a grouse at 57 yards with the red dot TV reflex sight and after exploring roads I'd never driven up on a high dividing ridge, I parked and hiked up a ridge to open alpine meadows.  Fabulous views of mountains 360.  Took several pics but am prone to overdo our scenic mountains and don't have much time to fiddle with relearning the picture posting steps this AM.  Am heading off for a Friday night football game and to spend a week near grandkids.

I took a nap at midday in a high alpine meadow with my head shaded by a stunted Christmas tree that was likely 100 years old up in that short growing season.  Just as I got to sleep ravens started swooping down within 10 feet above me, checking to see if I was dead I suppose.  They would not squawk near me but would sit in tree tops 60 yards away and talk to one another then swoop close again, but soon left me alone to nap.

About 3 I climbed down into one side of a high pass saddle till I could see bottom, cut me a nest under a stunted tree and sat to watch.  Within 10 minutes I noticed a large black bear feeding on red berries, mountain ash I think.  The bushes are often head high to me and the bear would pull them down to get the red berries that grow on the top.   No deer.  I'd only seen two fresh deer tracks all day, both of them back on the road.   There are amazingly few deer in that country.  Rather than stay till dark and walk out in the dark, which I don't mind doing, I decided to hike back to the road in time to drive a half mile to a point on the opposite ridge where I could glass the whole mountainside lit by the setting sun and see where the deer show up with the next day in mind. 

I glassed till almost dark with an excellent view of the whole mountainside, and never saw a deer.  Hmmm... I headed home instead of staying overnight up there and was home b y 8:30 PM, the end of a great day.