• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Accuracy and distance of bows is paralleling advances in long range rifles

Started by Okanagan, June 07, 2018, 10:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Went to a 3D archery range with grandson Code recently.  Below the 70 yard target frame a Dr Pepper can dangled on a string.

Code drilled it his first shot with his 84 lb. compound hunting bow.

This past winter he killed a Canada goose at 82 yards with his bow and another in the 70's, all legal.

He's been hanging out with a Washington State archery champion, and now has a target bow with lower draw weight.  They hunt together, stalked and killed two whitetails with bows last Fall, and have been going to some 3D archery competitions.   Last week Code finished 5th out of 90 archers and regretted that he played it safe.  He was 5 points out of first and hit the only high risk/high point target he tried. 

Back in the days when I bow hunted, we figured 50 yards max and that was more theory than reality.  I wanted shots under 30 yards and did all of my bow kills at less than 20 yards.  As many of you know and can do, with current compound bows and sights, a practiced hunter can consistently hit a 4 inch circle at 50 yards.  My three grandsons who now bow hunt shoot at separate targets at 50 yards so they don't damage nocks and fletching of previous shots.

Rifles are efficiently capable of hitting small targets at incredible distance now, though I still limit myself to about 300 yards due to potential of animal movement, difficulty of finding game in some terrain and vegetation, etc.  Hitting it is not always the same as recovering it.  And on that subject, I prefer to shoot animals closer than 30 yards rather than 300...  and like a rest! 

Natterings of a long time hunter...

pitw

Sounds like impressive shooting to me. :bowingsmilie:
I like 30 yd shot's with my rifle as I want to cut the throat while it will still do some good cause I have a tendency to shoot them betwixt the eyes.  This sure helps with recovery too as I only shoot where they will be easy to load.
I say what I think not think what I say.