• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent

Started by Hawks Feather, October 02, 2007, 03:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Review

Well, I bought the ThermaCELL last fall with the plans of using it to keep the mosquitoes away when I went deer hunting.  We got a little bit of cold and the mosquitoes left before deer season.  In the next week or so, I plan to try the crossbow on a doe and thought I had better get this out and give it a try.

I took out of the box that housed the:  Appliance (their name for it, not mine), 3 Repellent Mats, and the ThermaCELL cartridge.  The size of the unit is 7 1/2 inches long, 2 7/8 inches wide, and 1 3/4 inches thick. It took me about a minute to actually read the instructions, which tell you how to open/insert a mat and insert the ThermaCELL cartridge.  It also tells you how to flip the on switch, depress the start button, and check to see if it is operating.  The hardest part was opening the box.

How did it work?  That is the real question that needs to be answered.  I just got back from going to the Fish and Game to try out the crossbow and I took the ThermaCELL along.  When I got to the bench I fired it up and left it there while I took the target block target downrange.  Nice overcast day with no wind and YES the mosquitoes were out.  I started swatting at them on the way to drop the block and hurried back to where the ThermaCELL was on the bench.  As I reached the bench I had one mosquito land on my leg â€" I was wearing shorts as bait.  Smacked that one and sat there waiting.  Nothing.  Got up, cocked the crossbow and shot a couple of arrows.  Looked around me and there were no mosquitoes.  I also did not notice any smell.  I am not a deer so I will have to wait to see if they notice any smell or not.  After firing a couple more arrows I went to the target block and when I reached the target the mosquitoes were back.  I grabbed the arrows and trotted back to the bench where the ThermaCELL was laying â€" mosquitoes were gone again.  The big plus is that it worked.  The negative is that the mats are good for four hours and the ThermaCELL cartridge is good for the 12 hours.

Average retail price for the Olive unit I have is $21.99 or you can get Real Tree Camo for $29.99.  Single refills (good for 12 hours) are $5.99 or you can get the case of four refills (48 hours) for $19.99.  There is also a carry holster ($9.99) that allows you to carry a couple of ThermaCELL cartridges and a few mats.  This pricing would make it too high for me to use daily all summer long, but for a couple of days at a time I am willing to use it to keep the blood suckers away.

Pictured are the three components of the unit:  The Appliance, Repellent Mat, and ThermaCELL cartridge.

TookyRiverCalls

I've had one for a while now and use it a lot.  Ended up buying one of the big models that looks like a lantern for when out grilling on my deck and works there just as well as on stand hunting.  Not sure if you know it or not but you can order big refill packs on EBay and it's cheaper than buying the smaller refill packs.  They also have a camo case you can carry two extra fuel cells and pads in.  I'll try and find a photo of it and post it.

That top piece gets pretty hot when using it.  Be sure to shut it down to let it cool off before you start to pack up to leave your hunting spot.

Here are two links for you.  One's to EBay for the carrying holster and the other is for the large refill packs.  Hope it helps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290150332565

http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCELL-Mosquito-Repellent-Refill-Value/dp/B0007LNYLO/ref=sr_1_2/104-0456669-2565554?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1191358973&sr=8-2
www.tookyrivercalls.com
The Last Call Your Turkey Will Ever Hear

HaMeR

I love my ThermaCell. I told several folks about them & told them I would buy theirs if they didn't like it. I only have the one. :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

Thanks for the write up Jerry. I have pretty much the same opinion. Based on the three days that I used it in Texas, it worked great for me. I also agree on the spendy part if a guy had to use it allot, but at times I would have paid much more! :laf: I haven't used it yet for deer huntin, but I plan on it, if needed, so I'm not sure on the odor. I will say this though, if the wind is outta the north, the deer might wind ya if he comes in from the south. If you're sittin in your stand having to squirm and swat bugs constantly, I don't care if the deer is comin in from the north, south, east, or west, ya got a perty good chance of gettin pegged.  :eyebrownod:
Scott

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 02, 2007, 03:43:46 PM

I am not a deer so I will have to wait to see

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:    :shck:  Your NOT?  :confused: Ok this changes everything  :huh:

Nice review, I was waiting for you to tell us you got ripped off. I've never seen an insect repellent gizmo that worked other then the bug zappers, and I can't find a place to plug mine in, when I'm on stand.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

trappinjohn

Thanks for the report.  I've been wondering if those things really worked.  Guess I'll have to get me one.

HaMeR

Bees & flies are not intimidated by the ThermaCell. I've even had gnats fly away from it. When I 1st got mine 2 years ago I went down by the river in June. The weeds were waist high & yhe skeeters were horrible from all the rain. I kicked a place in the weeds down & fired up the TC. Skeeters were gone in just a few minutes. I came home & ordered more mats & fuel cells. :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FOsteology

The Thermacell is a permanent fixture in my gear pack. It really does work as advertised, and sure makes stand hunting more enjoyable!

Carolina Coyote

The TC's are great the first time I used mine I was in a climbing Stand and going up the tree I didn't know if I was going to make it up to where I wanted to be or not as the skeeters were sucking the Blood out of me so bad, after looking the stand in place I turned the TC on and with in 5 minutes no skeeters in site. Good Product. cc

Buckrun

I love mine!

When I was in GA. a couple years ago I had a friend with me. I was going to try to film him taking a deer. We climed up trees that were about 10 or 12 feet apart. He said about 10 minutes after I started the TS he had no longer had any mosquitoes around him.

Steve

ATLRoach

Thermacells rock for the bugs we have here in the south. I don't know how I bowhunted without it for so many years.

FinsnFur

I'm glad you brought this one to the top....I keep forgetting about, and I'm thinking about picking one up before the big Bass spawn  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bootmud

Well based on all your raving reviews I bought a camo Therma Cell tonight at the local Gander Mt.  I also picked up a batch of the pads and fuel bottles. 

My intent right now is to keep the knats away while spring turkey hunting the next few weeks.

Thanks for the reviews, I  hope mine works as well as all of yours.

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

KySongDog

I was browsing through Wally World's huntin' stuff today and noticed that Winchester has a promotion going for a Thermacell.  If you buy two boxes of Winchester Supreme turkey loads (about $24) you get a FREE Thermacell Mosquito Repellent.   

Not a bad deal me thinks. 

coyote101

Not a bad deal at all. I really like mine and found it to be quite effective against the Monster mosquitos of Canada last year.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

alscalls

I could use another one.....and some shells.......Thanks
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

waynec308

Glad to see the posts on this. I've wondered if the thing would really work, will have to get one for bow season.
Love to hunt...it's my R & R...even if all I get is a walk in the woods.

Climb Paws staff member