• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

More Waterfowl.

Started by R Buker, October 22, 2006, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Buker

Went out all weekend and did very well.  Managed limits of canada geese both days.  A few ducks thrown in for good measure.  Had a ball.

We took a 12 year old boy out today and he was able to shoot his first duck.  He was a happy camper.

Here's some pics.

Just me chilling with my cool shades.

Before:

After:

The younster with his duck

Bob D

Nice set up Randy. Is that your permanent blind there? What is your recipe for the geese? I heard they be pretty tasty if done correctly. Another thing--- I'm glad you had a picture made with your hat on :laf:. I wondered how you got those geese and ducks in with " ole shiny" exposed. :roflmao:
Bob

Mallardsr

Talk about flaring ducks! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Great pics ! Thanks for sharing.

FinsnFur

Oh yeah  :yoyo: He's got that blind set up, make a guy feel like he's belly up to the bar........ :confused: but there's no drinks.
Pretty keen little set up  :biggrin:

Nice shades....  :yoyo:  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

R Buker

Ok you creeps.  Those bald jokes are... well... accurate...     :biggrin:

I shoot so many geese that I have a bunch of recipes.  My favorite is grilling them.  I clean them whole and coat them with garlic powder and pepper.  I put them on a three burner grill with the two outside burners going and the center one off.  I have those buners on high and cook it as fast as I can.  I use a meat thermometer and cook it to 130 degrees between the thigh and body.  (thickest part.)  

The biggest problem with geese is that so many folks over cook them.  130 degrees will leave them  medium.  More than that and even the youngest bird can get tough.

An other favorite way is to fillet off the breast and skin it.  Then, take the meat from each side of the breast and slice it the long way.  You'll have 4 steaks from each bird.  Put them in terriaki marinade for about 2 hours. (I don't like it too strong) and then grill it until it's medium.  (again, don't overcook it!)

My wife has a good recipe where she puts it in a roaster, adds a can of cream of mushroom soup, slices some fresh mushrooms in with it, adds an onion, adds 1/2 container of sour cream and one cup of burgandy wine.  Cook slowly in a 250 Degree oven until the meat reaches 180 degrees.  (about 2 hours)  Baste frequently.

Those are three ways to cook them that are tried and true.

By the way, I had goose cooked on the grill tonight.  Very, very good!

R Buker

By the way, Jim.  I'm going to be making some improvements to the blind next season. I'm thinking electricity so I can cook bacon and eggs and make fresh coffee. 

Seriously!

Bob D

Sorry bout the joking Randy, it comes with the territory here, hope you weren't offended ? :yoyo: How would you run electricity to a duck blind, maybe a generator?
Bob

R Buker

Bob,

As long as you don't bring my wife into this, I don't think you could offend me.  I've got a pretty good sense of humor and have heard all the bald jokes there are to hear!   :shck:

But, I'm thinking of burying electric down to the blind.  It's right in front of my house about 300 yards away. 

It's pretty comfy.  It's 16 feet long with walls all around, a shelf for coffee and ammo and chairs with cushions for comfort.  I put the decoys out the first day of season and take them in just before it freezes.  I could hunt where there's more birds but I really like the comfort and ease of hunting at home.  Life is good!

Randy

Bob D

Sounds like you have a pretty good thing going there Randy with your home being so close to your hunting grounds . Just be sure you use a GFI plug at the end of that underground wire ( just to be safe).
Bob

FinsnFur

Quote from: R Buker on October 22, 2006, 09:45:29 PM

I could hunt where there's more birds

You have got to be kidding me.Don't get me started.  :rolleye:

Hey Bob did I ever tell ya bout the day I got to set in Buker's blind with him?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Bob D

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 22, 2006, 10:18:43 PM
Quote from: R Buker on October 22, 2006, 09:45:29 PM

Hey Bob did I ever tell ya bout the day I got to set in Buker's blind with him?

No , did he let you shoot or did he let you retrieve?

keekee

Nice Randy! Very nice! Great stuff! I would love to live were I had that view out my back door! But I did sset here last night on the computer and take in all the coyotes howling! Had one in the yard when I came home from AZ Monday. I am going to haft to start shooting some of them! I ben laying of them for a couple years!

Brent

R Buker

Brent,

I've killed two coyotes from my deck this week.  They eat my wiener dogs and that pisses me off.  I shoot them every chance I get. 

Randy

FinsnFur

Quote from: R Buker on October 26, 2006, 09:46:42 PM

I've killed two coyotes from my deck this week.  They eat my wiener dogs and that pisses me off.  I shoot them every chance I get. 

Randy

:roflmao:.......................... :huh:  :sad: sorry
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Arkyyoter

Anything that does anything bad to a weener dog has GOTTA DIE!!! I love my weener dogs!!! All 4 of them....

Joe

R Buker

I'm down to two.  I used to have three.  The coyotes got the fat one.

FinsnFur

Not to steer the thread in a different direction Randy, but how the heck did they get em? I thought you kept those things in the house.
What'd they do come right up on the deck and or front yard and do a snatch n go during a potty break?

Speaking of that, how the heck DO those things take a dump anyway?...can they actually bend that cylindrical body enough to pull it off?...or do they just tilt the whole lower half down and look like a little ramp out in the grass.  :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

R Buker

HA HA..  Some people just shouldn't think.  Jim, you are one of them.   :wink:

Yup, they come to the edge of the yard when they are on a potty break and bark at them.  The wiener dogs don't know they are small so they go out to kick the shit out of the coyotes and in return, turn into coyote poop.  I don't hunt during the summer but will kill a coyote near my yard any time of the year and any way I can. 

As far as how they poop?  You ever seen that pic of the loch ness monster that shows the head and a hump?  Picture the head with ears!