• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My Saskatchewan Bear

Started by FOsteology, May 27, 2008, 07:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Got back this morning from Northern Saskatchewan. Tired and need some shut eye, so details to follow..... but here's a few pictures of my color phase bruin.

Hawks Feather

Dang, that is one NICE looking bear.  I will be looking for the story later - when you are awake.

Jerry

coyote101

Very nice. :yoyo: :yoyo: Congratulations.  :congrats: :congrats: Anxiously waiting for the story.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Todd Rahm

Thats nice blackie FO, I also am ampeted for the story. Man thats a perty color.

FinsnFur

Wow....absolutely beautiful dude :congrats:
You gotta be pumped. Cant wait to hear the story myself.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bootmud

Wow, congratulations to you!!!!

That is a beautiful bear.  Can't wait to get all the details. :yoyo:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

nailbender

Tikaani

Very nice bear FO, will make an exceptional rug.  What did it square out at.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

HuntnCarve

Man!  That's a nice one FOs!

Bob D

Good looking bear, looking forward to the story.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FOsteology

Got some much needed rest, but now have to catch up on work! lol

A group of friends and I hunted Northern Saskatchewan 05/17 - 05/26.

Guides weren't able to bait much before we got there because of unusually late winter weather. The lakes were still frozen until a few days before our arrival. To combat the problem, the Outfitter brought in an air boat that would've allowed him to travel across the ice and put out bait in a timely fashion, however, on the way to the lake he went through a 'puddle' that practically swallowed his truck, went over the hood and ruined the motor. He was stranded for days there without the ability to bait!

Bears didn't start to move until the 22nd. I hunted over bait in the evenings, and during the day while the others were fishing I would head out on foot and do some calling. Managed to call in a Fisher, and a sow responded to my call. Passed on her as only obviously.

Thursday evening after being dropped off, I had just pulled up my back-pack and rifle and turned to hang up my pack when I saw the blonde bruin off to my right. He was looking up at me and growling, woofing, and kicking up a fuss. Waited till he was broadside then tripped the trigger on my 9.3x62mm Mauser shooting 250gr. TSX.

The bruin reared up and began to snarl and bite at his shoulder then turned to his left and headed for the marshy area overgrown with some willows. He didn't run far as I had already cycled the bolt and gave him another TSX. Bullet entered in front of the second to last rib and exited his chest. He dropped on the spot and died within seconds.

No clue on the score as the skull will need to be cleaned and allowed to dry before measuring.

Both guides indicated that they have had run-ins with this bear in the past. Apparently this bruin was very aggressive and territorial and would sneak in positioning himself between the guide and the boat then making his presence known! Both guides said the bruin had chased them up a tree on more than one occasion while he would tear up the ground and small shrubs trees and basically put on a hell of a show!

This was my first "bucket hunt", and although it was interesting and allowed me an opportunity to see a handful of bears.... ultimately I much prefer calling and hope to head back out West to either call one in or spot and stalk.

Hawks Feather

FOs,

Maybe you next hunt won't be a "Bucket" hunt, but you will have to go some to top this one.  The guides are probably happy that you have "removed" the problem.

Jerry

FOsteology

Jerry,

You're right. All the blonde color phase bears I've seen have been much smaller than this bruin. I've been told he's a "once in a lifetime" bear... so I'm going to have a full body mount done.

Red Dog

Nelson

Great bear FOs!!  My brother and nephew are in Alberta now bear hunting.
If they send me some pics,  I'll post them later.

Nelson

KySongDog

Congratulations on your bear!   :congrats:  Nice pics and story.  Thanks.

Semp