• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Anyone put out food plots for deer season?

Started by Roundman, June 24, 2008, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

We put out some Alfa-Rack with good results. Two of the three plots took off great the other has some bad soil and very little seed took root.

Anyone else put out any plots? If so what kind.

Bills Custom Calls

I don't put out food plots,but I do set out mineral blocks that I buy at Tractor Supply and the deer love them
I have used some C'mere deer mixed with shelled corn so the deer will find the mineral blocks quicker and the deer go nuts over that
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

We put out Imperial Whitetail Clover, ProGraze, Chicory, and white clover.

The turkeys and deer love all of it.  They especially hit the ProGraze hard in the winter.  At the end of last hunting season, our food plot looked like a bare muddy field.  They ate everything.   :biggrin:   Last fall, my buddy killed a nice Tom out of a group of 11 Toms that hit that plot almost every afternoon.  I even found coyote tracks along the edge of the plot.   :eyebrow:

The clover came back strong this spring but the ProGraze contains a lot of annual brassica and you have to plant it every year. 

Semp

MDM

I also only use the mineral blocks from TSC and i have a homemade pvc pipe corn feeder i use up untill season starts. i usely dont put nothing out to july and keep it stocked till archery season at the end of september.

ccp2

What we have had the most success with is Big Buck Blend!IT has little bit of everything in it like winter wheat rye ,and clover and u can get some with winter peas.We have found the heavier we plant them the better they do!

pitw

Around here if you got caught trying to get more deer in to an area you might get hung.  There are so many that the insurance rates are rising :argh:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

I normally plant food plots in spring and fall, this year so dry that I did not plant anything this spring  but plan to plant wheat in the fall, we have planted Grain Sorgum in the spring with good results in dry weather but not this dry, we use salt blocks and bag salt, our deer seem to favor the bag salt. cc