• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Tips and Tactics preventing recoil related injuries?????

Started by bushmaster, July 29, 2008, 02:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

Hey guys,  i recently bought a .338 win. mag.  (as many of you have seen in the firearms thread).  Upon my first trip to the range, 7 out of 15 shots resulted in a devastating blow to my nose.  I then installed a limb saver and scooted the scope as far forward as it would go.  Yesterday, i took my girlfriend to the range for a day of shooting.  She is new at the sport and uses a .17HMR.  After coxing her for a while, she decided to try the .338.  I instructed her to hold the rifle tight and to firmly plant her cheeck to the stock.  Right before the trigger broke, she raised her face; the gun went off; slipped under her shoulder, and SMASHED her in the nose.  I fell on the ground laughing  (bad idea) ofcourse.  and received a thorough beating for doing so.  I only got whacked once on this trip and ironically it was right after it happened to her.  I believe that its due to me loosening my grip and lower my guard after laughing my ass off.
       My question for all of you who are familiar with High powered weapons is:  What tips and tactics do you know through knowledge and peronal experience to prevent these recoil related injuries.  And how do YOU manage your trigger pull for more sustained shot placement?

I'd love to hear it from you guys!!!  Thanks, Nate :biggrin:
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Silencer

muzzle break maybe ?  the .378 weatherby mag my bud owns has a muzzle break and doesnt kick no more than my kids 30-30 or my .270. 

tipmover

You may have luck trying a scope with a greater eye relief. If your scope requires that your in close to get a full field of vision, a heavy recoiling rifle will BITE you :biggrin:
I've got a 300 WBY Ultra Lite w/o a brake and she bucks real good. I use a Zeiss 4.5-14 x 50 and have no issues with love bites.
A muzzle break is another option as well .

coyote101

It appears from the photo in your "my new guns for '08" thread that the scope on the .338 was mounted too far to the rear. At least as compared to your .270. You may have solved that problem already. You still have to get your eye within the eye relief range like tipmover said however, or you won't get a full field of view. A scope with longer eye relief may be the answer. You might also try a muzzle brake or porting, like Magna-port, or you can add weight; heavier guns recoil less. My .375 H&H weighs close to ten pounds and really isn't too unpleasant to shoot. Also, felt recoil is less when shooting off hand or seated, but accuracy suffers. Good luck.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

Scope recoil can be a serious danger, I had a buddy shoot his 300 win mag for the first time, broke his nose and severe cut, long eye relief scope of maybe these?
------------------------------------------------
Scope Eye Rifle Scope Recoil Pad
Avoid Eye Injury! Most eye ends are made of metal or a hard rubber. The Scope Eye™, designed to reduce the risk of injuries from such scopes, is made from a soft, polymer material and slips directly over the scope eyepiece.
The Scope Eye™ fits most scope eyepieces from 1.4" to 1.6 diameter. It can mean the difference between a safe, successful hunt and an unexpected trip to the doctor's
http://www.gunaccessories.com/Quake/default.asp

bushmaster

Ya know, the owner of the gun shop mentioned a boss.  But didn't know where to get one.  He said that they stopped making them.  I googled it and also checked gunsamerica.  But have been unable to find the BOSS itself.  any ideas???

I also went to the Millett website but couldn't dig up the specs. on eye relief.  It is a 4-16x56mm varmint target special.

I appreciate the feedback.

vvarmitr

The Boss is a trademark name for the type of muzzle brake that Browning put on their rifles. It was also adjustable for harmonics.
One of the best muzzle brakes, from what I've read is the Vais.  Heard nothing but good about them.  :wink:

cb223

I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes on hunting rifles. TO DAMN LOUD!!!!!

I would stick with a good recoil pad and a long eye relief scope. If the scope is hittin you in the face, it IS to close!!!

If it is a lighter rifle and you don't mind the extra weight you might try  one of the mercury filled recoil dampeners.
CHAD

bushmaster

Well, I made a trip to my gunsmith today and went over my options with him.  I came to a decision and have been inclined to have a custom removable muzzle brake installed on my rifle.  I have already invested in a Limb Saver recoil pad and like i said, moved the scope as far forward as i could get it.  The limb saver has only served useful in diminishing the bruising on my shoulder.  According to the gunsmith, this particular brake will reduce the reoil by upwards of 50%.  And he did caution me about the noise level.  But the way I see it; One shot is all I need, so what difference would it make whether it bark like a howitzer or whisper like an airgun?  My rifle will be ready next week and i'll post pics and results of the new modification.

nastygunz, just my personal opinion; but putting a pad on my scope would insinuate that i intend on making contact with it.  I've been shooting my entire life and have never come upon this dilema.  That is, until i bought a .338 win mag.  The mental image that i get from the thought of that is one of the third person... "HEY! Check out the @$$hole with a P-pad for his eye!!  You shoot often?!"  I'm just saying that I would feel like an idiot with one.

coyote101

bushmaster,

How's the muzzle brake working out for you?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Frogman

Trade that .338 for an AR.  .223s don't kick much and they are lots of fun to shoot.  Sounds like that cannon isn't much fun!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bushmaster

The muzzle brake did the trick.  The felt recoil is considerably less than that of my .270.  No more scope nose.  I'll post pics when i can find my camera.

frogman,  i dont know whether you missed it or not. But my SN is bushmaster.  I've owned 2 AR's and the .223 was the first to go.  I now have a 6.8SPC.  Personally, the .223 has proven itself to be absolutely worthless.  I can say with confidence that i will never own one again.  I do agree with you that they are tons of fun and i love how they never siece to turn a few heads.  But i have tamed the cannon and it will outshoot my AR any day of the week.

Silencer

:yoyo:  good deal, now my next question.. with that scope so far forward, is it right there when you shoulder the gun quick or do you have to slide your head forward a spell ? 

Quotemoved the scope as far forward as i could get it.

Now with the muzzle break you should be able to move that scope where its comfortable and "right there" when you shoulder your rifle.

Frogman

bushmaster,
      I was just teasing about trading for an AR.   :innocentwhistle:  What problems have you had with the .223??   :confused:

Jim

bushmaster

silencer, i got the scope right in the sweet spot.  wait until i post the pic of 5shots @100yds with 1 hole that got just a little bigger with each round.

jim, i know you were just bustin me.  My biggest issue with the .223 is terminal ballistics (or the lack there of).  Accuracy was great but that guns bark was far worse than its bite :eyebrownod: land i know all about the wide range of bullets that one can pick up. i tried all of them.  The best results were the hornady moly coated V-max. 55gr.  But still, i truly is a .22 on steroids.  I fought that saying for as long as i could and then i shot a deer with it  :argh:... then i shot the deer again, and again, and again... I will not tell you how many times i shot this deer because i am a firm believer in one shot one kill.  It's great for squirells!  but what good is it when i have a 17hmr?  more accurate and cost efficient.  the 6.8 will do what i had expected of the .223.

nate

Frogman

bushmaster,
      I use my .308 for deer, but I really like the .223 for coyotes.  It has put them down well for me so far.

Jim

Silencer

bushmaster

heres my muzzle brake (and my recently painted nova)  Sorry about the blur.