• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New rifle?

Started by Mallardsr, November 11, 2006, 09:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mallardsr

Here is the deal, I am lookin for another coyote gun (Rifle). I've got a winchester model 70 in 22-250. I like it , however I've convinced myself some how I need a quicker follow up shot. Probably just a  lame excuse to buy another gun, but WTH.
Any way, I dont want anything thats less than the 22-250.I fully intend to kill very dead what I'm shootin at. Fur ? What fer? 90 %  of my shots will be from 0-50 yards but could have an occasional 100 - 150 yard shot. After combing  the net for two weeks and a sudden surge in gun and pawn shop visits I am strongly concidering a Browning stalker semi auto in 243. Its a black sythetic stock w/ a 22" barrel. I would low mount a burris 3 x 9 x40 on it.Probably use a Sierra 87 gr. HPBT. Some body stop me !!   No really lets hear it.Good and bad. Other options in same price range?

Thanks RP

FinsnFur

Hmmm  :confused:
Why dont ya just go ahead and pick it up. Send it up here for a 90 day, full evaluation....and we'll go from there.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

I would go for it have not heard anything bad about them. 243 is a good round and browning makes a good rifle.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

fuzz624

Well the 243 is a great round.It is a good flat shooting cartridge.It packs alote more punch than the 22-250.The recoil is pretty light.There is a wide range of factory ammo.Wind doesnt effect the bullet as much as the 22-250,just in case you want to try some long shots.Browning has always had a great name in the gun world.Sounds like a winner to me.

vvarmitr

That is a set up I've considered myself except I'd go w/ a Burris 2-7 compact.  I know Kray loves his & a couple of other guys that have 'em.  The thing that stops me is; is it accurate as it heats up? :shrug: 

Radd4

Do what I did give into the sickness and get the fastest follow up rifle out there, buy an AR from Danny Cheatham.  I have EBR sicness to a "T " (Criners fault) you will have to pick another round but they are so dadgum fun to shoot.  Sorry this is my shameless AR plug.

Rus
Radd4
Retired USAF
Desert Storm Veteran
Remember to thank those who are serving our country and the families of those who have died to keep you safe...Our Troops, Police and Firemen deserve our thanks"

THO Game Calls

I shoot .243's for coyotes.  I think it is the best round here in the north east where a coyote coulld be a bit larger than those found somewhere else.   Not so good on fox or bobcats though.

as for the brownings, the BAR Lightweight Stalker in 243 has a 20 inch barrel, the short track stalker has a 22 inch barrel.   Accurate and quick pointing.  The only thing I don't like about the Brownings is bolt release lever on the side.  Up here, it might last about a week in the woods befiore it got torn off.  If you get a chance to look at one, you will see what I mean.  It is just a terible design in my opinion.  Otherwise you have a winner of a coyote gun in that one.  If you never get off trails, the gun should be fine.  I would not walk through any heavy brush with it though.

The new Remmington 750 Woodsmaster is an updated and redsigned model of Remingtons old 7400 semi auto.  They really seem to have done a lot of work to it to make it a better and much more reliable gun.  This year it is fancy wood and checkering.  Hopfully next year they will smarten up and give it a synthetic stock,  The barrle length is 22 inches for the 243.  They do make them in a carbine model but only in 270 308 and 30/06.  It will run you about 200 less than the browning. 

As for that snazy looking AR that Radd4 is showing off, that is one fine looking gun.  I think the 223 is a bit light for coyotes up here though.  And in New England, if you show up in camo with a EBR, you might give some poor liberal a heart attack LOL.   Really Sharp looking rifle though. 

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Mallardsr

I would like to thank every one for there comments. I am probably a week out from a final decision . Any further info or comments would be appreciated. I am going to check out that release Al was talking about .Everything I hunt seems to be thick at some point.
RP

Radd4

Thanks Al,

I did go with the 223 I bought from CavTrooper because he made me such a great deal, but I almost bought a 243 win AR from Dtech.  I never thought about the cam and a black rifle might get a guy in trouble up there.  If I saw a guy like that I would think coyote hunter, I guess some people have other ideas.

Rus
Radd4
Retired USAF
Desert Storm Veteran
Remember to thank those who are serving our country and the families of those who have died to keep you safe...Our Troops, Police and Firemen deserve our thanks"

THO Game Calls

What do you expect?  These are the same people that elected Ted Kenedy to 8 terms in the senate and brought you John Kerry.  Man, I gotta move.

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results