• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

.22 shells are duds?

Started by cathryn, January 09, 2009, 06:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

got Daniel a box of 550 Federal rifle shells with his gun for Christmas and it seems like alot of them arent firing.

is it the bullets or the gun?

ive heard that the clips that they come with sometimes wear out quick.

any ideas?

weedwalker

I used to get a lot of duds with Federal. I use the Remington Golden Hollow Points now. They do very good in my rifle and pistols. I won't buy any more Federeal .22s.

cathryn

then we'll get some different shells tomorrow and see what happens.

thanks.

pitw

What do the dent's where the firing pin struck the shells look like cathryn.  Some guns don't like some shells.
I say what I think not think what I say.

cathryn

theyre maybe 1/8th inch long at the most and theres just a single mark

FinsnFur

Tell her to take a picture Barry, she's not speaking to me since the Yugo incident :sneer:

:laf:

Then ask her what she meant by some of the clips going bad.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I'd try these duds in another rifle if I were you.  Maybe the firing pin isn't coming far enough ahead with enough power to fire this shell type.
I say what I think not think what I say.

cathryn

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 09, 2009, 06:59:30 PM
Tell her to take a picture Barry, she's not speaking to me since the Yugo incident :sneer:

:laf:

Then ask her what she meant by some of the clips going bad.

im talkin to you ya nit wit,lol.

if we cant laugh at ourselves then life is kinda borin, ya know?

ill take a pic tomorrow cause my cameras got dead batteries
went dead when i took the other one.

i was told when i bought it that the spring in the clip sometimes went bad  and theyd misfire. they even suggested i buy an after market clip..not from them either cause they didnt have them so they werent just tryin to make a sale.

alscalls

How many rounds into the box did it start this?  Some oils will gunk a gun up quickly and a quick cleaning will fix the problem.
And some guns just do not like certain loads......I am guessing a cleaning would not hurt even if the gun is new. I do not like the crap they put on them things to keep em on the shelf.M2C :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cathryn

it was about 200m into the box and he has cleaned it.
that was the first thing he did when it started.

FinsnFur

Nit wit uh? :biggrin:  :laf:

I'm just trying to figure out how a bad clip would cause it to misfire. Not mocking or making fun of ya.
But if a clip spring went bad, and didn't feed the round up properly then it's not going to chamber, which means the bolt isn't going to close.

Is this a semi automatic?
If it is, then we can still ride the bad clip issue until something else proves the remedy. Check the end of the round and compare the firing pin impression on the duds against the firing pin impression on the spent shells that fired. That'll tell ya right there, if they are chambering properly, assuming it's a semi automatic.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cathryn

illle thim read your post in the mornin and figure it out,lol.

i know it holds 10 shells in the clip and thats bout the extent of it.

thanks..nitiwt  :biggrin:  :wink:

alscalls

You could fire a shot then push on the bolt to see if there is some forward movement left in it......after several rounds you would know if it were closing properly or not but that dose not yet cure the problem.
What kinda oil are you cleaning the gun with? Before spending more money on a clip its worth a shot in the dark that it is just gumming up quickly on ya. :shrug:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

KySongDog

At the range, when we have the school kids over for their first introduction to firearms, we use standard velocity .22 rounds.  I've noticed that we get a lot of misfires with those shells.   :shrug:   Doesn't seem to happen with high velocity .22's.

I don't see how the clip is causing the problem unless it is slowing the bolt down such that it is not going in to battery.   :shrug:   Cleaning the bolt and firing pin channel would be the first thing I would do.   

HaMeR

Sounds like the firing pin is gunked up inside the bolt. It may need disassembled & cleaned or it has a broken spring. 
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

weedwalker

With it being a brand new rifle, I'd try the Remington .22s 1st. Those Federals are junk.

vvarmitr

I get good accuracy from the 500 count Winchesters.  They'll shoot right up there w/ my match ammo.  :biggrin:

A bad clip may not cause misfires, but will cause the gun to jam.  I'd get Dan an extra clip anyways. Clips are especially susceptible to gravity & have been know to be pulled from a gun for no apparent reason other than gravity.  :eyebrownod: