• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Range trip

Started by Roundman, August 16, 2009, 08:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

I went to the range to shoot a couple of new to me guns.

One was a 20ga 870 slug gun I bought last year. I tried three different slugs and found one that shot ok. Now I've never owned a "slug only" gun so I don't know what kind of accuracy to expect. At 50 yards I had two almost touch and then a flyer.  :shrug: You would have to think a 2-3 inch group at 50 would be sub par. Anyone have experience with slug guns?

The other was a Glock 17 9mm, I liked it, but not as much as my XD. The grip was a little wider than the XD, but it held 18 rounds, that's six more rounds than the Springfield. At 12 yards it held a nice group with no jams or malfunctions.

I think I'm gonna stick with the Springfield.

KySongDog

I think the Glock 17 is an excellent gun.  It is the original "Glock".   The one that Gaston Glock originally designed and was adopted by the Austrian military.  I've owned one since the 80's.  I shoot IDPA with mine and have never had a malfunction of any kind.

I also used to own a Springfield XD .45 Service.  It was a good gun and I had no problems with it but I just didn't like all the parts and pieces to it.  (more to parts to break) The Glock is simpler and easier to work on I think.  There are tons of aftermarket accessories for the Glock.

Also the Springfield XD 9mm is considered single action in IDPA which means ESP class where the Glock is considered to be double action and is in SSP class.

alscalls

The barrel of the 870 will determine witch type of slug you will need to shoot.....
For example a fully rifled barrel I would try saboted slugs ......
Smooth bore slug guns require a rifled slug......
Sounds like to me you have an issue with this or some other problem as I would expect a little tighter group at 100 yds from today's slugs and slug barrels.... 2-3 inches @50 I would keep looking....M2C :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls