• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hey linemansteve

Started by FinsnFur, November 06, 2011, 07:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

I been trying to figure this out since these poles were laying on the ground waiting to be planted last week.

What the heck is the dealio with the wire mesh wrapped around these things, all except the bottom few feet?
I watched them put new ones in along the river up here and in the low lying areas they placed the pole on a short cement column and then wire meshed only the lower half of the pole. Obviously to deter beavers etc.
But these others with only the top half meshed got me curious.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Lineman Jerry here (that is a joke) but my guess is Woodpeckers.

Jerry

FinsnFur

I thought that too, but then wondered what made the area these were in so pecker prone. :shrug:
And why didnt they do it down in the river bottoms?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

Quotebut then wondered what made the area these were in so pecker prone.

:doh2:  ALL THE BEAVERS!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleye:

:alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

linemansteve

Jerry  got it with the woodpeckers. The mesh is used to try and keep them from drilling in to the wood.  the real question is why do they attack the pole? depending on the terrain [low area like a valley or high on a ridge ] as air moves over the wire it causes it to vibrate this vibration moves through the insulators in to the wood. We all know woodpeckers have great hearing, so they think the pole is full of bugs by the sound. We just replaced a 80 ft wood with a new steel pole because the woodpeckers had holes in it you could stick your hand. Also sorry for slow response-- we had to go to Mississippi to watch my son compete in the national strongman contest  [ his first]   out of 170  he placed 23rd.   Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

FinsnFur

They hear the vibration and think it's full of bugs...thats amazing and interesting as "L".
Thanks for the education. :biggrin:

Kudos to the boy by the way. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Todd Rahm

Ok STeve, wheres the strong man post with pictures?

linemansteve

I'll get some and post them, right now he is benching 495 lbs.  It's amazing to see the weight these guys and girls pick up.  The farmer's cradle they carry is 850 lbs and its TIMED for 100 ft.  like I said I'll post up some pic's  Thanks Steve
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

Hawks Feather

Congrats to your son and I am glad that he is doing that lifting and not me.  Well, I guess I really wouldn't need to worry about lifting, maybe straining my back when I bend over the bar, but since it won't come off the floor it wouldn't be a lift.

Jerry

linemansteve

Jerry your not doing the 12 oz brown bottle curls are you?   :alscalls: Steve

Hawks Feather

Quote from: linemansteve on November 07, 2011, 09:02:05 PM
Jerry your not doing the 12 oz brown bottle curls are you?   :alscalls: Steve

Only one or two a week to keep my strength up. 

Jerry