• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Reserviced knife...

Started by Coulter, May 03, 2016, 05:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

This blade was sent up to me by a Guide at Coastal Sportsmen in Florida. It was handed down to him by his grandfather and needed a little TLC. It was a fun project that included putting birdseye maple and african blackwood scales on with a handrubbed oil finish. I hope he gets some cool pictures of it in use again.

[ima]http://www.northbaycalls.com/Knife/IMG_6716.jpg[/img]

Dave

Very nice - what was it used for specifically?

Hawks Feather

You did really nice work on the handle and I am glad that while you cleaned it up you didn't make it look like a new blade.

Dave:  That looks like one of the Green River Buffalo Skinner blade. 

Jerry

Coulter

Thanks Dave and Jerry...I thought it looked quite a bit like an old Green River Knife too. Here's what he uses it for...

Quote"I've got an old butcher shop knife that belonged to my grandfather that was passed done to me about 15 years ago.

I use it to butcher everything from alligator to duck and I'm very fond of it.

The old wooden handles finally gave out and was wondering if I could send it to you for a new one.

Nothing fancy since it spends a lot of time covered in blood $ guts but then again something nice."

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Oh he'll be happy to get that back!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Thanks Jimbo...I think he'll be happy with it too. I have another exceptionally cool project in the works too. Still have some planning/designing to layout on that one though. You guys will really like the next one :eyebrow:

Hawks Feather

Whoa!  I think you have a problem.  You missed that 'nothing fancy' comment he made about the handle.  Now maybe that isn't fancy to you, but compared to the handle that was there before it certainly is.  I would love to have a picture of his face when he opens the package and sees the handle that is there.  Without question he will be happy, happy, happy.

Jerry

Coulter

Heck, that wasn't fancy Jerry. I thought about amboyna burl but decided that would be fancy for sure. Birdseye seemed like a good choice...hard as nails, fairly easy to work, durable AND good looking.

And yes, I think he'll be happy with it. He hasn't even received it yet, but posted this up on another site I frequent. This kind of gives some insight as to the history behind the knife too. I'd love to be there when he opens it up too.

QuoteMany years ago, my wife's grandfather ran a butcher shop in Elyria, Ohio & used this knife on a daily basis.

He handed it down to my wife's father some (50) fifty years ago, who passed it onto me (15) fifteen years back while carving up a pig.

I use it all through hunting season carving up duck, geese, deer, hogs & a few cows for an old fashioned cracker cowboy BBQ's.

While using it last season, the wooden handle finally split at the rivets.

My wife was crushed!!!

I'd seen Steve's work & after talking with him about it, off in the mail it went.

I showed the pic's to my wife who immediately was brought to tears, remembering as a girl this knife that was always in her dad's hands.

I copied the pic's & sent them to our niece who showed them to Les's father.

Lets just say Steve, you brought tears to an (85) eighty-five year old man's face.

Simply Beautiful!!!

gravesco hunter

Coulter