• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I love loud mouth schnooks.

Started by pitw, July 11, 2009, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I was going down the road yesterday in my KW`pulling my sprayer to a job when the phone rang.  It was a loud mouthed, self important schnook who I don't normally spray for and don't in any way like.  He says "I need you to spray 300 acres for me right away as the crop is getting advanced".  I reply "I'm busy until Tuesday barring any rain or wind".  He whines "My crop won't wait until Wednesday and I'll pay you $2/acre more than your normal rate to come today".  I can hear the elevator agent from Edgerton in the background as I reply "make it $5/acre and I'll detour".  He sputtered and chewed on the phone but finally came out with a meek "Okay".  I said "Just to be sporting I'll even wager $2/acre that I'll have to wait in the field for you to bring me chemical".  He already had it loaded and knew he could win that bet so he said,"Your on".  I was only 2 miles from the field so I had my sprayer unloaded and hooked to the nurse truck when he showed up.  If looks could kill I'd not be writing this now but to his credit he wrote out a cheque for the job before I started [my rules] and left to bitch about me for ever more.
I say what I think not think what I say.

cathryn

do you contract out to spray for people?

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Yes Cathryn that is my sole way of making a living.  I have 5 high clearance sprayers now but only run three during busy season.  We generally do over 80,000 acres a year.

Jim they are a good way to gain permission on any farm for hunting coyotes.  Pays good too :innocentwhistle:

cathryn

pitw,dont get mad at me for asking this, im just curious.

would the people you put on hold to spray for this guy at 5.00 over what you normally charge be mad if they knew this guys fields got taken care of first even though they had a contract or is the contract just to do their fields within a certtain time and you have all discretion in when you do whose fields?

pitw

Cathryn the only way you could make me mad is to call me late for them amazing meals you cook :iroll:  I have been doing this for 15 years and I make the call on where my machines go and when.  I was on the way to do 2 smaller jobs [300 and 130 acres each] and they all got done in a timely matter.  I work on a priority system that kills insects first, weeds in crop next and chemfallow last.  Right now things are slowing down and all the other guys who run sprayers around here are pretty much on holiday or doing whatever and that's why this particular jig came up.  I charge more than all my competition because I try harder to do a good job and my customers rely on my attention to promtness.  I can't help if a schnook who thinks he's more important than the pope, Obama, Hilary and Jay Leno all rolled into one gets burnt because of his pompous attitude.  I'll end up getting more work from his neighbors once the word of this one gets out cause they don't like him either.

Hawks Feather

Jim,

If you are interested in trying out the sprayer business before you get your own let me know.  I have a 1 1/5 gallon and also a 2 gallon sprayer.  They work really well, but you should probably wash the one out pretty well since I use it for roundup.  You can post your reply here without upsetting pitw since he said he had all the sprayer he could use and you wouldn't be able to cross the  border to work up north anyway.

Jerry

alscalls

I like the way you handled it......I probably woulda said NO.....In this particular case....just to show him where he stands on the list. :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Quote from: alscalls on July 11, 2009, 12:45:56 PM
I like the way you handled it......I probably woulda said NO.....In this particular case....just to show him where he stands on the list. :eyebrownod:

Al, no was my first response but I kinda/sorta thought about how bad the fur check had been this past season and I needed some madd money in order to buy a call or two from some guys on a forum I frequent. 

alscalls

:doh2:
Thats how you make money.......I gotta try that....Yes thing...... :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cathryn

Quote from: pitw on July 11, 2009, 10:10:21 AM
Cathryn the only way you could make me mad is to call me late for them amazing meals you cook :iroll:  I have been doing this for 15 years and I make the call on where my machines go and when.  I was on the way to do 2 smaller jobs [300 and 130 acres each] and they all got done in a timely matter.  I work on a priority system that kills insects first, weeds in crop next and chemfallow last.  Right now things are slowing down and all the other guys who run sprayers around here are pretty much on holiday or doing whatever and that's why this particular jig came up.  I charge more than all my competition because I try harder to do a good job and my customers rely on my attention to promtness.  I can't help if a schnook who thinks he's more important than the pope, Obama, Hilary and Jay Leno all rolled into one gets burnt because of his pompous attitude.  I'll end up getting more work from his neighbors once the word of this one gets out cause they don't like him either.

im glad i didnt offedn you by asking, i was just curious.

id have probably doubled the price per acre had i been you.  :biggrin: especially if i didnt like the guy  :wink: