• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

No wonder

Started by pitw, July 27, 2009, 07:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

It is no mystery to me now why you guys in the states have problems with illegal aliens and terrorists.  I came across the border yesterday and when the border dude asked where I was going, I said "Down to Glendive to talk coyote calls with a fellow".  Big mistake as we then talked coyote hunting for about an hour.  The crossing isn't much used but the poor bugger behind me must have been sweating bullets by the time I left as he wuld think I was getting a grilling.  He never wnated to see our passports or anything else for that matter, just talked coyotes, guns and calls.  If the Taliban figure out this key to America you guys are doomed.
   I came down here and met 5shots who is crazier than most as he took a day off work to meet me.  I can now say that I have met a man who can make great sounding calls out of metal as when we showed up he gave my boys and I each an aluminum call for our very own.  Of course Don and I had to try them right away and the wife even gives us hell in America :doh2:.  As for 5shots a nicer fellow would be hard to find as he took me for a 6 hour drive about through his hunting areas and pointed out some very interesting stuff[I had to point out the good looking girls as I guess he sees to many].  I asked about fishing licenses and poof I'm in a store talking coyotes and get all fixed up with the fishing stuff right away.  We had a great supper and BSed till way past my bedtime.  Thanks 5 for one wonderful day :yoyo: :yoyo:
   I'll now head over to Billings and visit a cabellas[we don't got] and try and keep my wife from spending too much. :nofgr:
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
I hope ya brought your camera!
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Quote from: alscalls on July 27, 2009, 07:57:43 AM

Why?  Can I get a good price for it down here?

alscalls

:laf: :laf: :laf:  Pics man! Pics........
AL

FinsnFur

Quote from: pitw on July 27, 2009, 08:09:04 AM
Quote from: alscalls on July 27, 2009, 07:57:43 AM

Why?  Can I get a good price for it down here?

:roflmao: :roflmao: ROFLMAO

Thats cool that ya made in down for a spell Barry. 5shots is the real deal.
How long are in the states for?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Jim I'm down here for just a few days or until I run out of money :innocentwhistle:  Went to Cabelas today for the first time in my life, what a major disappointment and I can stay longer now as I didn't leave them a single piece of copper.  I must say that I'm starting to understand why when I watch an occasional ball game on TV that I see so many "large" people.  The meals we've had were huge and the service better than excellent.  Took the boys fishing in the Yellowstone river today and never caught a thing, nobody was disappointed though as we spent more time investigating than fishing.  Another thing I've noticed that someone on here could maybe look into for fuel consumption are the speed limits.  Good golly the gauges must visibly move while people are doing that speed.  The roads here in Montana do have a few more curves than I'm used to but the van handled them well.  Did have a good chuckle cause we stopped in a little town [I don't like big places] name Big Timber for dinner and there were two tables full of guys.  One bunch of five were "ranchers" that I got talking to and they were quite interesting but I found out the biggest ranch any of them had was 180 acres :iroll: the other group of four were talking hunting so somehow I ended up holding court with all of them.  Great fun for me but the wife got pissed[nothing new] and left with boys to look around while I visited.  She came back unpissed as they had found a museum or something to enjoy and actually thanked me for staying to chat :shck:

Hawks Feather

Just make sure that when you head back across the boarder that you say you went to the states for a funeral and sure are glad to be back in a civilized country.  If you tell them that you talked "guns" in the states they will strip search your van.  I learned the hard way to answer yes or no and not make a comment like "I know enough not to bring a gun to Canada because you don't like anyone to have one."  Pull over there, get out of the van, and we will be done going through your luggage, checking the seats, under the hood, and under the van in about 2 hours.  And by the way, get your ass back on that bench that we told you to sit on.  My wife and daughters have not let me forget that one.    :rolleye:

Jerry

FinsnFur

Sounds like your enjoying yourselves. Were all good people up this way. The closer you get to the Mason Dixon line the more trouble you'll find. :laf:

The ranchers you talked to, like many of them in the states, dont have the acreage you do because it's all cut up and owned down here. Our Platt books look like a million piece puzzle.

What didnt you like about Cabela's? I'm assuming the prices. They are higher then heck on everything but somehow they are always busy. It's good you got to stop though. We have one here I worked at a while back, and they sure do lure the tourists.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HuntnCarve

Barry, sounds like you and the family are having a good time.  I don't need to tell you that you'll find some of the finest people in the small towns.  It don't matter where you are.  In my traveling days, I'd be sitting by myself having breakfast in small town diner.  The locals would get to talking, and before you knew it, I'd have made a bunch of new friends by the time I had to grudgingly leave.  -I'd quietly ask the waitress to tally up all their breakfasts, without them knowing, and I'd pay their bill (one of the perks of having a big expense account back then. LOL!), and then I'd slip out and off to work.  One time I got paged to the front office of the plant I was working at in Nebraska?  Seems three of the fellows I had secretly bought breakfast for that morning, had tracked me down.  Wanted to "thank me" personally!  It just made my day a whole lot nicer!
I do miss that part of the job.
Be safe, and have a wonderful time!  If you get the "wandering" feeling, start heading East.  You'll come across a bunch of us FnF's guys.

Dave

pitw

Jerry I'll be sure to follow your advice but traveling with my mouth has always been somewhat of a problem :doh2:

Jim the first thing I ran into at cabelas was a guy from home that tried working with us in our "slashing" days and he was useless.  The next problem was a "Walmart" type greeter.  Then there was the 10,000sq/ft of cabela junk [I mean a $20 cabelas key chain :puke:].  I then went to the call counter and things went downhill faster than an Olympic skier.  This nice young man said look at these beautiful calls and I asked if I could try a couple of the packaged ones.  "no we can't take them out of their bubble wrap" he said.  Then he told me if I relly wanted to shoot coyotes that I needed a Foxpro, to which I replied "What makes you think they are any good".   He says "Just look at the video's that are playing on the display here".  I'm starting to steam [and Bobby is starting to snicker] as I say "How in the [Nice clean board here so I won't mess it up] can you tell me that because some lousy stinking company pays more money for good video people to shoot these hunts than any one else that makes their product any good".  He says "Well you can see they bring in coyotes".  I pulled out my new call from 5Shots and said this will call in more coyotes than any foxpro you selll out of this store and the price was beetter than any you have here. Bob and Don pulled out theirs too and we proceeded to give him and everyone in the store a short demo on what a good call should sound like[The wife was heading for the bargain cave at a rate of speed that woulld have won her a gold medal in any racing event] :shck:.  To say rhe least we got the attention of everybody and I could hve sold them calls right there on the spot but thats not what I'm about.  The prices were higher on three of the items I had looked at in the farm and ranch store that 5 Shots had taken me to so my shopping was done.  I'll  never go back in one and you know I'll tell anyone who asks what I think.

Dave I bought coffee for the nine guys in that diner and got invited to come hunt with everyone of the guys there.  The ranchers number one bitch, was out of staters coming in and buying a parcel of land to just live on, thus taking it out of production.  It seemed that the word Califorinia has expletives before and after it every tme they used it and I didn't know that was how it was meant to be said.  We are in Billings this morning and the whole crew has agreed that beakfast will be in the next small town we come to.

I'm having a ball seeing the scenery and chatting with the people.  One other thing I've noticed down here is uniforms, everyone has one.  Janitors to truck drivers seem to wear a uniform and that just kills me.

Carolina Coyote

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 27, 2009, 10:14:04 PM
Sounds like your enjoying yourselves. Were all good people up this way. The closer you get to the Mason Dixon line the more trouble you'll find. :laf:

Jimbo, Which side of the Mason Dixon Line do you think causes the most trouble?  :confused: cc

alscalls

Jimbo.......You need to come down here.......I think a cheese head would just fix all our problems.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

HuntnCarve

Barry,

We got a Cabelas here about 25 miles from me.  When it first opened up I went a time or two.  Then it got to be boring.  Pretty much what you described.  You'll learn that the bargain cave is no bargain, and the rest of the stuff is pretty salty in price!  I shop the small local gun shops Thank you!  - My wife would never let me take one of my calls up there. -Knowing that I would start a ruckus! LOL!

Hawks Feather

If you can find a time when Cabela's is closing out a line you can get some pretty good deals, but like others said, not in the cave.  Becky had gotten me a Carhart coat last Christmas (on sale) out at the Tractor Supply and I didn't like the fit (can you say too tight?).  Anyway, I was at Cabela's in Dundee where I go about every 6 to 8 weeks to watch the fish and they had one of their Cabela's coats that was an exact match to the Carhart that I returned.  There was a slight difference in that this one would zip closed.  Anyway, they were on sale for $22.  Needless to say it came home with me.   I also got a light weight jacket there for $6 a little over a year ago.  Didn't need it, but for $6 I could not say NO.

Jerry

golfertrout

Barry come to wv and visit Al and myself, Al's wife makes good zukeeny bread :hahaha:

alscalls

And Dave eats it all right in front of ya....... :laf:
AL

vvarmitr

Before you boys go inviting Barry to WV you better reread this remark he made ...
Quote from: pitw on July 27, 2009, 07:44:53 PM
  The roads here in Montana do have a few more curves than I'm used to but the van handled them well. 
Don't think the feller could handle the roads around here.  :nono:
:laf:

alscalls

And they get worse over here....... :laf: :laf:
AL

pitw

Quote from: golfertrout on July 28, 2009, 10:21:41 PM
Barry come to wv and visit Al and myself, Al's wife makes good zukeeny bread :hahaha:

I'd fit right in with my tooth :wink:  You all spell zucchini funny too :innocentwhistle:

alscalls

AL