• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Catfish baits

Started by awh, April 04, 2007, 12:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awh

Come on guys....What is your go to catfish bait? Me & Lil-Man have been catching a few from the ponds here lately and decided to make some of our own. Here it is...

1 Pk of shrimp (Fishing type...not the eating type)(brought it back from the beach last year)
Lb of cheese
2 TBL spoons of chopped Garlic
pack of outdated sandwitch meat (turkey)
hand full of dry dog food
TBL spoon salt
1/4 cup Veg. oil
1/4 cup water
Oatmeal

Throw it in the blender and mix. Add enough oatmeal to get the consististy of dough.  Ball it up and slap it on the hook. (Wash blender before wife see's what you have just done) (Take wife fishing w/ you so you can show her your not crazy....yet) :innocentwhistle:

Cam got a 12 pounder last night and now would rather catch cats than large mouth....LOL Were going back this afternoon and will get some pics of them.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FinsnFur

We always use Sonny's Blood bait. But we dont put it on a hook. We use the hollow tubes with a treble, and dip it.

I tried making some one year. Bought 5lbs of chicken livers and threw em in a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of hog blood. Put a lid on it and let it set out by the shop for a couple months.

It was so ungodly rancid that I could not go near it when the time came. The neighbors started squawin too, so I got it the heck out of here  :innocentwhistle:

I read in a magazine once about picking up road kill and putting it in a burlap bag with some bricks and tossing it overboard by your favorite holes.
We all know how fast water rots meat and flesh. I think it'd work good, but I never had what it takes to be seen walking down the center of I-80 with a scoop shovel  :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I haven't fished for cats in years, but think it is about time to start again.  They have weekly contests around here in the summer, but I don't think I am quite as devoted as some of the midnight cat fishermen.  But then, they are bringing in 25 to 35 pound cats, which might be fun to catch.

Jim,
Chickens work as good as road kill.  If you have any egg farms around your area they are always having a few die and are usually glad to give them to you - if they know you are not eating them.   :roflmao:

Jerry

awh

Well....No pics. I had three brake my line and Cam went back to his Large Mouth spree after not catching one in the first hour. It has cooled off here too so maybe this afternoon he can put the poles down and get a pic of a call with some ketchup for Bill. :hahaha:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Ladobe

The hang with the catfish awh.   That concoction sounds good enough to eat all by itself.    :wo:

Don't laugh... back when I ran my Boston Whaler along the Central CA coast for the salmon runs we trolled with raw squid with dodgers on a drop rig... and I always took way more fresh squid along than we'd need for bait cause we'd snack on it ourselves while putt-putting along.    :innocentwhistle:

Opps... forgot to add - for what little freshwater channel cat fishing I did we just used chicken gizzards and they seemed to work well enough.
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Jimmie in Ky

Depends on time of year for me what I use. During th spawn I use night crawlers since I have plenty of them in the yard. Jugging in July I use cut up skip jack for bait. Later in the year its shad guts . These are my favorites. I have used others but these have seemed to get t most action on about any water ways in the area. Jimmie

fuzz624

It all depends on what kinda cats you are fishing for.For blue cats and channel cats the more it stinks the better.My favorite is green chicken liver and panty hose.Make a small pouch with the panty hose and put the liver in it then tie on both ends.You put this on the hook and it will not come off.

For big flatheads i have had the best luck with live bait.Pretty much anything live.I have had good luck with live crayfish,bluegill,sunfish,goldfish,creekchubs,and rockbass.My biggest to date was a 36 pound flathead.I caught it on a 8 inch bullhead.

I love to catfish,and carp.There is no better way to spend a warm summer night.Just a lantern,2 poles,a cut off 55 gallion drum of bait,a couple good friends and a cooler full of beer.It wont be long now.

awh

Fuzz.....A man after my own heart.  Night fishing and you didn't forget the cooler full of beer.  :bowingsmilie:

Well, me and Lil-Man had the cats biting until this cold spell came through and sent them back to the deep. We went ahead and bought 100 more to put in one of the ponds as the other 100 are just a month or so away from being big enough to learn how to swim in cornmeal & hot oil. I had forgot about the pantyhose trick. We use to do that when I was younger. I'll have to show Lil-Man so he won't waste so much bait.

Keep em' coming guys.  :highclap:

frshwtr

susquhanna river in pa is starting to have a catchable population of flathead catfish at this time (our fish commision wants you to catch all you catch because its a non-native species that will probaly hurt the smallmouth bass population. its a ball, the area i fish has a lot of rocks so you got to get them away from the rocks (i lose my share) so you are uaeing heavier than normal fresh water tackel, useing a sliding sinker and so far the best bait i have found is sunfish, they ont seem to like the creek chubs i  catch. the biggest so far this year was 36" did not weigh it.

bushmaster

I take it you guys didn't read the post on my atfish incident.  Its the 10 hours of fishing post.  The majority of my sucess has been with bream.  But I will try the panty ho deal this weekend.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

lilman

well dad and i made a cat bait and carp bait.............the cat bait was deer, apple sauce ,soy sauce , fish oils .The carp bait was oat meal ,straw berry yogurt ,flour .the cat bait worked .The carp bait i got a few hits off it.
lilman the bass slayer

5 SHOTS

I like a frog about 4 inches long, legs included. I hook them from the bottom jaw straight up between the eyes. I have caught some nice fish that way.  :yoyo:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.