• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Contractor Clean-up Bags

Started by vvarmitr, July 13, 2010, 12:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarmitr

Yes, I'm talking about those heavy duty, 3 mil, 42gal., black garbage bags.
I just finished my second 12 count box & starting on my new 50 count box. I love these things.  :yahoo:
I first bought 'em to keep in the vehicles for when I got a coyote. I could just bag it up & put it anywhere in the auto & not get blood & guts all over the place. [(provided you know for sure the critter is dead) very important ya know.  :wink:]  Then I thought they would be great to lay on the ground to keep your clothes clean should you have a flat tire or other car trouble. [(which generally happens when you have clothes on you don't want to get dirty.  :madd:) & you let your AAA elapse. :doh2:] And speaking of dirty clothes. I've laid one out & put my muddy boots on one. Then got home, washed the bag off, dried it, folded it up, & stuck it back in the car. Water doesn't hurt 'em. Speaking of which they're a quick rain garment if needed. So now I have 'em in my hunting vest. Not for me so much, but for my guns. Cut a hole in the center to poke your head through & slip the gun up under the bag w/ ya. (unloaded that is!  :readthis:)
Of course there is the obvious use. To put stuff in, but not just trash. I used my last one in the box when I realized they where big enough to hold all the life jackets & the seats for the canoe.  :thumb2:  Plus taking some nylon cord I tied off the top & that oughta  seal it from moisture & spiders & other creepy crawly things. :whew:  I'm gonna havta reopen the that bag as I have thought of another great idea for 'em & the reason I made this post.  I'm going to stick one in each life jacket & chair w/ a zip tie to use as an emergency flotation devise. :eyebrow:  Just open the end & flip it open so it takes in a bunch of air, gather the opening up & put the zip tie around it & pull tight.
You don't want it packed w/ air. :nofgr:  You want it so a person can get their upper body on it & possibly have it stick out on both sides of the arm pit.  :wink:

Is that a great idea or what! :biggrin:

There are soooo many things you can do w/ these things.
What if you gotta cross a stream that you can't jump or find a log to cross it. It's cold & your boots aren't water proof or high enough? Pull your CCB out & open it up, step inside putting your toes in each corner & off you go. Be careful as to not get a hole in 'em.  :nono:
What if you ate something & you're not sure you can hold it in. Remove your pants & line your briefs heavily w/ your emergency TP. (Please tell me you have emergency TP w/ ya  :huh:)  Cut a hole in each corner big enough to get your foot through. Now pull it up. If you didn't cut the holes to big you should have a tight seal around your thighs. Replace your pants & trim off whatever  sticks out of the waist band. Done rightly no one will know your wearing emergency training pants!  :alscalls:

I figured it out that they cost about 40 cents each. Not bad. :shrug:
They weigh next to nothing & take up very little space.
Now if they only came in camo!  :laf:

Can any of you think of some more uses for CCBs?

Carolina Coyote

:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:, VV you are so full of it.  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono: cc

coyotehunter_1

:alscalls: @ cc ^^

Very creative there VV   :congrats: :yoyo:  :eyebrownod:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 13, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
They make nice condoms too :yoyo:

A little short but they tie on nice.  :innocentwhistle:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

shaddragger

Quote from: HaMeR on July 13, 2010, 06:06:56 PM

A little short but they tie on nice.  :innocentwhistle:

I just changed my mind about going to the LBL next year   :nofgr:  :holdon:
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

pitw

Do I got to explain this to you too :innocentwhistle:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyotehunter_1

Well, we can see where this is headed…  :rolleye:

How much BS would one of those heavy duty, 3 mil, 42gal., black garbage bags hold?  :confused: :laf: :nono:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

HaMeR

:rolleye:  Kinda obvious a train can't turn that tight aint it??  :confused:

:laf: :laf:

vvarmitr is gonna find out when this post continues in this direction & he throws his computer in one to get rid of this BS.  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 14, 2010, 04:47:25 PM
:nono: I'm calling Diane

...brb

Go ahead & call her. She's in a good mood today. I came home & told her she could run the AC since I'm home now.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on July 14, 2010, 12:34:32 PM
How much BS would one of those heavy duty, 3 mil, 42gal., black garbage bags hold?  :confused: :laf: :nono:
Not sure about 1 bag, but w/ this website it's a good thing I got the 50 bag count box!  :rolleye:

I'm reminded of an elephant joke ....
How do you know if elephants had an orgy in your back yard?

Hefty bags all over the place!  :laugh2:  :laugh2:  :laugh2:
:yoyo:  :yoyo:  :yoyo: 

FinsnFur

That must happen a lot down in Missouri then :alscalls:
Last time I went through there every yard had about forty hefty bags laying around in their back yards. Along with cars up on blocks, weeds growing up past the plywood windows on the houses :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Okanagan

Good stuff, VV!  Some uses there I haven't tried, and I have used those things for dozens of uses.  I'm rising above your lesser detractors and their insensitive levity and sticking to topic. :iroll:

Cut up the sides and leave the bottom uncut and you have an excellent ground sheet full length under a sleeping bag.  Cut one side and the end and it is a mini tarp to sit out a rain storm under a tree or bush, or keep the rain off while you glass.  I put them inside a pack and fill them with boned out meat to keep the pack clean.  A buck more than filled a largish day pack I was carrying once, but the heavy garbage bag was strong enough to extend about four or five inches above the top of the pack and take the whole deer, with a little help from some parachute cord lacing around it for strength.

Hole in the end and sides makes a poncho.  That also makes a superb apron for cutting meat or messier jobs of fleshing hides, etc. especially if you wear rain pants or hip waders .  It will get steamy inside if it is very hot while wearing that way, but it sure keeps me clean.

For high country hunts in pouring rain we have pulled them over packs to keep the pack dry, and put them over a rifle leaned against a tree overnight.  All the rain streams off the rifle clear down to the butt on the ground, no rain in action, barrel, etc.

On a high country hunt during a drought, we used the black trash bag to make water.  We hiked to the only patch of snow visible and put several pounds of snow in a black plastic bag.  Careful not to poke holes, we spread the snow as thin as possible inside the bag and laid the bag on a downsloping large flat rock in the sun.  With one corner lower than the others, we cut a quarter inch hole off the lowest corner tip of the bag where it extended over the lower edge of the rock, and placed a water bottle to catch the stream of melting snow water coming out of the bag.  Pretty efficient.

For camp water some distance from a water source, carry two or three gallons of water in the bag carefully to camp and then make a non-puncture "nest" or rock bowl to place the bag in, with the top open.  Dip out water as needed.  Putting the plastic water sack inside a large stuff sack protects the plastic from puncture.

Once upon a time I cached a rifle inside such a bag in snow, and left it a few weeks till my return.

Okanagan

Heavy trash bags make excellent rain covers for caches hanging in trees.  Double bagging is good.  Fill up bag, pack, stuff sack, whatever is holding the goodies, and prepare to tie on a rope or cord from whatever top end you want to hang it from.  Cut a tiny hole in one bottom corner of a trash bag and run the cord through that hole from outside to inside the bag and on through the open end.  Now tie that end of the cord to the goodie bag, throw the rope over limb above, etc. and pull it up.  When it is eye level off the ground, slide the trash bag down over the goodie bag like a shroud.  The top corner of the bag makes a peak and all rain runs off.  If needed, tie a string TIGHT around the trash bag right where the vertical cord or rope emerges, to seal out any seepage or water running down the tie line and into the goodie bag.

For boating or backpacking, put a trash bag INSIDE a sleeping bag stuff sack before you stuff in the bag.  Stuff it inside the plastic bag which is inside the stuff sack.  Twist or tie off the trash bag at the end and close the stuff sack over it.  The stuff sack will protect the plastic bag from puncture or tears.  The stuff sack gets wet but who cares as long as the sleeping bag inside is dry.  Such a sleeping bag stuffed with an inner plastic lining will float like a cork and makes a good emergency floatation device, though can be hard to hold onto.

vvarmitr

Quote from: Okanagan on August 22, 2010, 12:17:10 PM
Good stuff, VV!  Some uses there I haven't tried, and I have used those things for dozens of uses.  I'm rising above your lesser detractors and their insensitive levity and sticking to topic. :iroll:
Finally! Somebody w/ some class!   :bowingsmilie:

That's pretty cool. Since I don't get on such wild & exotic adventures I wouldn't thought of those, but if I ever get to go on safari I'm taking a box of 'em w/ me. :wink: