• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Charles May Knife (SwampOak Scandi)

Started by FOsteology, July 18, 2007, 01:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Charles May is a custom knife maker with a reputation for producing quality knives. Popular amongst hunters, Charlie's knives are all made to order, and being popular you can expect a waiting list of at least six months. Charlie's website (http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com) shows example knives and materials. I opted for Desert Ironwood (non-premium), and am very pleased I did so.

I ordered this knife primarily to be my brush/woods knife, a companion for the time I spend in some lovely natural surroundings around my home. I wanted something with a bit more soul than the black handled pieces I was used too (Dozier), and the first thing that grabbed me upon unwrapping the SwampOak Scandi was the sheer quality of the wood and workmanship. The knife was slimmer than I had anticipated, and this works better for me as I prefer a slimmer contour.

Here are the vital statistics:

Blade length: 3 1/8 inches
Handle: 4 3/8 inches
Total: 7 1/2 inches
Weight: 4 oz  (6.7 oz with sheath)

The Blade:

The blade is made from S30V with a Scandinavian grind. The blade shape is a very practical drop point with enough belly for good slicing and decent point for piercing. The blade is 1/8 inch thick giving the SwampOak Scandi a feeling of solidity. The blade finish is brushed, which I'm hoping will keep the blade from looking too battered/scratched after a days use out in the thick South Texas brush. I will discuss the edge a little later.

Aesthetically I really like the look of drop points, they function really well but I do find sharpening the curve towards the tip can be awkward on a fixed angle sharpening system.

The Handle:

The handle scales are made from beautiful Desert Ironwood and have a very smooth finish. The wood has an incredible presence about it, seeming to glow in certain light. The coloration and finish is very pleasing to the eye and white spacers complete the look.

The handle shape is contoured, and thus the grip is very natural and for me and is extremely comfortable. There are no ergonomic features or parts pressing on my hand that could cause discomfort from extended use.

Because of the polished nature of the wood scales I imagine it could become slippery in certain situations, such as if covered by sweat or blood. If you were needing a knife for skinning and gutting I would recommend a Micarta scales that is either beaded or jigged.

The mosaic pins are a stylish finishing touch and flush to the surface of the handle slabs.

The Sheath:

The sheath is an impressive item in its own right. Formed in leather, natural beeswax finish with a fold over belt loop and white stitching. It has a very sturdy and functional feel whilst maintaining an organic/natural look. It holds the knife securely, but drawing is still easy. I opted for a lanyard hole and lanyard on the knife, as personally, I think if the knife is to be used in extreme conditions then a lanyard to assist in drawing and retention is a nice feature.

Cutting:

The edge that the SwampOak Scandi arrived with was incredibly sharp (scary sharp!), with plenty of bite. So far I have tried:

Feather Sticks: The SwampOak Scandi glided through the wood effortlessly and produced very fine curls. But being very sharp I nearly always sliced the curl off the stick... Plenty of tinder making capabilities, judging by the pile of very fine slivers left all round the back door where I was practicing...

Splitting Kindling: The breadth of the blade splits kindling very easily, and even through thicker pieces without a problem. Allowed good control when splitting, even through fairly hefty pieces.

Food Preparation: The edge has very good bite making it easy to cut soft foods, tomatoes and such, into very thin slices. The drop point has a good belly for slicing vegetables but the breadth of the blade makes it harder going. So it would be ideal for preparing a meal outdoors, but not for general or extended kitchen duty.

Cardboard: Slicing through cardboard was easy and left a nice clean edge to the cut, edge retention was also impressive.

Overall:

Charles May's knives are a combination of form and function; you get a very capable custom knife for a very reasonable price. This, for me, is a perfect brush/woodland knife: A combination of practical design along with natural materials used for the handle.

Pro's:

Beautifully simple design
Stunning use of wood
Fit & finish
Scary sharp

Con's:

Long waiting list
Smooth finish could become slippery
Almost too good to use

Hawks Feather

"Almost too good to use"  Now that would be a problem. that I wish I had.

Jerry

FOsteology

Quote from: Hawks Feather on July 18, 2007, 01:20:03 PM
"Almost too good to use"  Now that would be a problem. that I wish I had.

Jerry

You could if it was your wish/desire. Many of his knives as well as Gene Ingram's are priced well below a Dozier knife. Both May and Ingram build a better knife IMHO than Dozier. Dozier knives tend to have too much "belly" for my taste.

FinsnFur

That is a sweet piece of cutlery.  And nice write up........is it Dave?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Fos,

I am just wondering about the possible lost of the knife in the present sheath - it seems to be deep enough to prevent it from working out, but I am just wondering.  The Dozier have the molded Kydex sheath that really seems to hold the knife and keeps it from falling out.  I have never lost a knife and would not want to.

Jerry

FOsteology

Jerry,

That (and possibly sticking myself from a tumble) has always concerned me about fixed blades and leather sheaths. Neither concerns me greatly with Charlie's sheath. The pouch is indeed very deep and well padded, but also the sheath is form molded to the knife. It's very tight, ... reason why I requested a lanyard as it makes it easier to draw the knife from the sheath. Charlie's leather sheath is the best I've come across to date.

I know Gene Ingram will supply a kydex sheath with his knives if so requested. I haven't inquired with Charlie.... but I'd wager he could do that as well.

Jim,

Thanks, and it's William.  :biggrin:

Hawks Feather