• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

What to start with

Started by awh, June 26, 2007, 10:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Weasels are a lot smaller than a mink...... never tried a rat trap on them, but I have used boxes for mink. Best luck with them is when I got them placed well before the season and using fresh bloody bait when I set them.

I don't modify my traps much, but that's more lazy than anything.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

awh

Stu, you think the rat trap will hold/disperse a mink?
How early we looking at? few weeks before season or longer?
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

studabaka

depends on the size of the mink... think they would just give a big male a sore nose.

I guess the earlier the better. I think the driver is that they become an accepted part of their route. Others may have a better view as most of the mink I have taken have been in colvert and bank sets
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

catskinner

1000's of coyotes have been taken in unmodified traps, but I have modified mine in recent years. Base plateing and center swiveling helps to keep the trap centered on the foot and keeping a large coyote from popping the jaws out of the frame.

You can also use a lap link across the frame and the cross to attach the chain keeping it in the center.

awh

Quote from: catskinner on July 12, 2007, 11:54:02 AM

You can also use a lap link across the frame and the cross to attach the chain keeping it in the center.

Cat- Can you explain this or show a pic. I have no idea what a lap link is unless your talking computers. Then I know what it is. (Gawd, Jimbo is smiling right about now and typing two words for me.... :doh2:)
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

catskinner

I found this pic of a lap link, and now that I did I realize that I misspoke, I think that this would work but I really ment a cold shut.

laplink

cold shut

The laplink is squeezed shut with a pair of visegrips then you have to put the vicegrips on the unopen end locking them tight, then pound on the open end untill the edges are tight together. This all goes around the base of the trap and the cross (the piece that holds the pan and dog) with the end of the chain to hold it in the middle of the base of the trap.

The cold shut is squeezed shut and the end that goes through the hole can be peened over or you can spot weld it to keep it from opening up.

awh

keekee

I wouldn't set the boxes with Rat traps in them. More than likely it will just spook him, I don't think they would hold the Mink for very long if at all. You can modify the boxes though and change the trap out and they will work.

I don't use many box sets, I have some made up but its just more trouble than it is worth for me. I will use them in places that I want to set that can be seen from the road or if I am trapping a pond that the owner does not want me digging in the banks. I will set them in and camo them up good several months before season. It lets the Mink and the people get use to them. They need to be there long enough for the Mink to add it to there travel routs. Mink are curious critter, they like to check out all the cracks, cut outs, tiles, and things.

I have found a fresh dug hole back in the bank will draw them just as fast as anything else, and can be don't quick and easy with a spade shovel.

A 5 Gal bucket will work just as good and not near the work. Dig the bank out, and set the bucket down in the dug hole. Dig down were the water level will run back into the bucket some. Take your spade shovel and add a scoop of dirt back inside the bucket and then take your hand and spread the mug out. This will be a good bed for your trap. You want about a 1/2" of water over the trap pan when your done. Or you can use grass to cover the trap as well. When using a bucket set, I cover top and front of the bucket with grass, I just let the grass hang down in front of the open end and leave a opening in the center. I also make sure the bucket is seated good on both sides. That way if something walks across the top of the bucket the set wont move. Coons are bad for that.

Brent

awh

Here's the link to the Tman thread. (Took me forever to find it again) http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/33535/page/0/fpart/1

My cuz said he saw some "white" minks at the ponds a few months ago. I'm guessing he might have saw weasels, but I didn't even know we had weasels here. I'm going to do somemore reading on minks and weasels to see what all i can come up with. As far as the location I live in.