• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

lures

Started by awh, July 24, 2007, 11:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awh

First off, thank you guys for all the input you have given on the other questions we have had. We are getting ready to boil the traps as soon as it stops raining here.... and we are still making up more snares while the rain continues. I have a few questions just to see what everyone else does so I can get an idea of what to start with.

On the dirt hole sets for fox & yotes, which lure are you using at the start of the season?

Are you mixing the sets up by using more than one lure/urine?

Is there one go to lure you use all season long that makes the animals work the sets better for you?
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

AWSparrows

My most productive set last season was a flat set using Russ Carmens "Pro's Choice" under the front corner of my "backing" and a splash of fox or coyote urine on the top front edge.
I caught fox, coyote, and BIG coons with this set.

Disclaimer:
I'm not a "Pro", last year was my first year trapping.

RShaw

If the location is good for one trap, then it is good for two or three. I almost always set a minimum of 2 sets at each location and use a different lure at each set. Sometimes no lure, just urine. An animal in a trap is a good attractant for others and you cant catch him unless you have the traps there.

I agree with AW. I like Carmens canine call and pros choice. I just use a little less of the canine call in the early season.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

canine

Ditto what these guy's are sayin. I also like to add that Grawes.."big red" is an excellent red fox gland lure. Always make 2 sets. Flat sets are good just make sure you use stepping stones. or guide sticks. I personally do not use urines, fox nor coyote. A good change up lure is a bob-cat gland lure, caught alot of coyotes on cat glands.

The reason I don't use urines, is because the 2 fox I raised, I would watch them cache food and never would they urinate to mark the cache. Every now and then they would take a dump in the vacinity of where there caches were located, never on top of or within feet of one. Usually was a little distance, but seemed to be towards the middle of there caches. :shrug:

JD

clousewt

I am curious about the start of the trapping season. I live in east Tennessee and was wondering when the animals start putting on their winter coats. I have seen several fox that had good looking pelts but I always thought that until the first few frosts they wouldnt have a good coat on. Also I like these articles since I am new to trapping, every little bit of advice helps. I have 6 Duke 1 1/2 coil spring traps and I am seriously thinking on getting some 220 body grip traps. Is the 220 good enough to catch beaver? I have also seen some 330 body grips, maybe the 330 would be better for catching the bigger stuff. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

studabaka

I use 330 for beaver. 220 is a great coon trap where it's legal.

The sad truth about southern pelts is their best prime ain't much more than a summer coat for northern relatives  :rolleye:

Depending on weather, nov - jan they are at their best.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

keekee

I make my own lure most of the time, I will send you some up awh when I get the first few batches done. Pro's Choice is a good lure as well if you by your lures. I also put out at least two sets sometimes three.

Our season here starts in Nov, furs look pretty good here by then.

I like the 330 for beavers as well.

Brent

bigben

here is another vote for the pro choice.  aslo a red fox gland lure is a good one to use. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

TA17rem

I like to use "Minn. Brand" fox and coyotes lures and baits. Dureing early fall i use just urine, gland lure or just mice. When the temps start to drop then i switch over to the Minn. brand lures and baits. The reason i use fox urine at most sets is to relax the fox, reduce the amount of fear. The fox will smell it and be less cautious, and stick around longer to work the set..