• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

2007 AZ trip with pic's!

Started by keekee, January 25, 2007, 12:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

Well, we will call this the trip from hell!!! It started off bad and didn't get a whole lot better. We were late getting out of the airport from Columbus due to flight delays from the ice storm so we roll into AZ late. When we get there they didn't have out SUV we rented all they had were mini vans! So, we went on the look for a new truck, we found one at budget and got on the road to Rich Higgins house. Rolled in there around 11:00 pm there time or so. Talked for a bit and got about 3 hrs sleep and was up headed out. First crack off the bat they had the road shut down to get to were we were going to meet Joe to hunt for the day, so you can figure what it was like for the green horns to find there way around the city and get back to were we needed to be...lol

The first day started well we called a coyote on a string to us on the first stand! Things were looking better. The next couple days were not bad, then the weather hit! We had three days of rain! It had not rained there for something like 6 months, and then on top of that we had 4 days of 20 mph winds to deal with, some days it was real bad, so bad we had to hit the canyons to get out of the wind to even call. And it was COLD like 24 Deg one morning! Made for some tough calling for sure.

On Saturday we headed out to the multi club hunt and started real well. Killed a coyote on the second stand and called a grey fox on the third stand. Then it went down hill again! We stopped to get fuel before heading on into the mountains and I noticed fluid coming from under the SUV. It was transmission fluid! It was leaking from were it was bolted together. I called the rental call company and they said it would be 4-6 hrs before they could get us another ride. So, we bought a bunch of fluid and headed for the closest town about 1 hrs drive to trade the truck out for a new one. That ended the days hunting and there was no way we could get to check in after that.

The next day we got up and headed back to were we left off the day before and guess what? More rain, wind and then changed over to SNOW! In AZ! It dumped about 3-4 inches on us in a hurry! Nasty roads, I don't know for sure how long it had been since it snowed there were we were but it even snowed at Riches house and I think he said it had not snowed there since Christmas of 1991? Go figure! We call three coyotes in the snow there, which was cool. Should be some footage that is not seen very often!

We hunted one whole day in an area that had just been hit for a club hunt the month before (Made for tough calling). We did call some were around 30 Coyotes the best I can figure after setting back and thinking things over, and a hand full of grey foxes. Got some good footage a couple of awesome kills that will make you think we were calling Texas coyotes! And got some cat and grey fox footage as well. We also got some great shotgun footage, something you don't see much of out west. Should make for some neat video! We used some Eastern tactics to imply the shotgun at close range in the wide open! Aired a few out at long range coyotes! And got a couple misses on film as well as some good bloopers! A couple you won't believe when you see them!

Had a blast! Hunting with some wonderful friends! Tyler and Rich Higgins, Ray, Kelly, Ben, and Joe make for some great hunting partners and great times! We could not have asked for any better company than we had while we were there! Tyler Higgins did a great job with the camera; the stands we were making with shotguns were very hard to film! And he handled the job very well! And kept us in coyotes about all week. The areas we hunted were not private land, no locked gate ranches; we hunted some BML land and land that anyone could hunt, so what footage we got we got from the same areas that anyone else can hunt. Kind of what we were looking for to add to the video. 

I haft to add a huge thanks to Rich and Tyler Higgins. Rich has been a friend of mine for a long time. His hospitality to us was awesome! Welcoming us into his home every year to set up camp and hunt for days at a time and doing all he can to help us! Same with Tyler, we enjoyed every day he got to hunt with us, Tyler is one of the best callers in the country and takes everything he can from his dad Rich and has learned to use it well! Tyler has a great future coming up in the world of calling and the outdoors! He has already done things and accomplished things that allot of men have never done or will take years to do.

I figured I would add a few pictures from the trip that I took on the digital camera. I have not had time yet to set down and go threw the footage yet. My camera equipment has not made it here yet either. Should be here sometime this week. When I get time to set down and go threw some of it I will put up a few clips for you all to take a look at.

All and all! Its hard to beat 8 days of hunting with some great friends! No matter what weather, bad luck, and mother nature brings its always good to be in the outdoors and with great friends!!!!!

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

Brent

Todd Rahm

Cool story Brent............I'll check the pics out in the morning when I get home. Look'n forward to see'n them.

Todd

FinsnFur

Wow, one extreme to the next.
Some pics look like your fryin your arse off, and the next one your in the middle of a white out.

Least ya got some shooting in, looks like fun.
Congrats JD on the cat  :yoyo: Way to go dude.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

fuzz624

Looks like you guys had a blast regardless.Great story and pics.

stevecriner

Sounds like a good one to me. Way to stay tough and hunt....
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

Pilgrim

Overall, ya still didn't do too bad considering the conditions.  Way to hang with it.

keekee

It wasn't a bad week just a little crazy...lol...We had a good time, hunted hard and spent some great times with friends. We got enough footage to finish up the project we were working on, so that helps as well. I think we went threw every weather change AZ has to offer....lol But I tell you that area was Breath taking with snow on the ground!

Brent

Hawks Feather

Brent,

Glad to see and hear that you had a good time - even with the weather problems.

Jerry

WhiteHare

Brent,
Welcome back. 
You got some really nice still shots there.  Looking forward to viewing a few clips and reading a few more stories.

Richard
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

CCP

QuoteIt wasn't a bad week just a little crazy.

Aint it always a little crazy around Rich and JD :biggrin:  Glad to hear you had a good trip I sure enjoyed the pic's.  Maybe one day I will make it out there with you guys. Cant wait to get the details from JD on that bobcat at LBL. :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

TA17rem

Brent: great pic's, glad you had a good time. The back ground in one of the pic's looks familier, i hope you were'nt calling in one of my hotspots..LOL Take care.....

AWSparrows

Sounds like a blast, I'm glad you had a good time.
Great pictures too.

Aaron

canine

Man what a trip!! We went through some adversities! Planes, trains and automobiles to name a few. The weather,, well,,let's just say Rich Higgins may not allow us back in Arizona for a while  :biggrin:

Snow......In the desert  :confused:  I have seen it all now. :huh:..LOL..

Got my first Bob-cat, that was awesome. Seein that cat working it's way into the call was to cool! It was only 8 to 10 yards from me and I was shooting #4 buck out of the 12 guage, I thought for sure I was going to blow it in half. Surprisingly it didn't tear it up 1 bit. I skinned it out to have it mounted and as soon as I can find a good tannery I plan on shippin it out to have tanned. Anyone know of a good Tannery???? :eyebrow: :wink:

Just messin wit ya Jimbo, buddy ol' pal..LOL.. Thanks for the congrats too.

Rich, Unfortunately I won't be able to make the LBL hunt. Got to work, I'm really goin to hate not bein able to meet alot of you all . Drink a few for me, shoot a couple coyotes also for me.

Also want to say that Rich and Tyler Higgins are outstanding people. There time and hospitality is second to none.  :bowingsmilie:

JD

FinsnFur

I got some leads on a few tanneries. I'll get em to ya  :wink:

Your gonna be missed at the LBL......not really :innocentwhistle: :nono:
No I'm kidding ya, wish you could make it seriously.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com