• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Quetico 2010 pictures

Started by coyote101, July 22, 2010, 05:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

My son and I went to Quetico from July 4th till the 10th. Weather was great, although a bit hot. Fishing was good. We had a great time. I'm going back on Saturday for another week. Here are some pictures of the trip:

First fish of the trip

A nice smallmouth taken at the base of one of  the rapids the first evening.

A better view of those rapids.

4th of July dinner; walleye and smallmouth.

This nice smallmouth was taken the evening before we left.

Pike taken shortly after the smallie.

The two of them were kind enough to join us for dinner the last evening.

A little largemouth

Another largemouth. This one was taken on shore at the place where we made the video.

This one was taken from the canoe at the same place.

This was the first, and largest pike I caught. Not real big, but a lot of fun.

My smallest fish of the trip. Little rascal hit a lure almost as big as he was.

Our deluxe accommodations

The kitchen

Taking a break during one of the portages.

Breakfast the last morning

The view from the breakfast table was pretty nice!

Some scenery:

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Good pictures and that looks like a very peaceful place to go and fish.

Jerry

iahntr

:bowingsmilie:  Man that's nice ! What I wouldn't give to have a view like that
from my kitchen and breakfast table !  :eyebrow:  Looks like a great time !
Thanks a lot for sharin all the pics with us .  :congrats: :congrats:
So, just curious on a few details,, like, how far from where you leave your vehicle
did you set up camp ? Did you stay at your one campsite or move it around some?
It looks really peaceful, how many people do you typically run into, or have around ya?
Thanks again Pat.
Scott

coyotehunter_1

Pat... such a beautiful area and what a way to spend a few days (or a few years even). :highclap:

Thanks for taking us along. :biggrin: :yoyo:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

coyote101

Quote from: iahntr on July 22, 2010, 06:55:18 PM
So, just curious on a few details,, like, how far from where you leave your vehicle
did you set up camp ? Did you stay at your one campsite or move it around some?
It looks really peaceful, how many people do you typically run into, or have around ya?

Scott,

We leave vehicles at the outfitters in Crane Lake, MN.

Load the canoes and equipment onto a boat and take about a two hour trip into Canada.

Threre are two mechanical portages to move from lake to lake:

And stops at Canadian Customs and the Ranger station to get licenses and permits.

The boats take us as far as they can go and we offload all the stuff and the fun begins! Its all paddling and people power from there. We stayed the first night (Sunday) near where we were dropped off because the boat driver told us where to catch some walleye. We moved the next morning and crossed several lakes and did four portages to get to our destination lake. Three of the portages were very easy, but one is 220 rods of pure hell lovingly refered to as "the death march". We saw two other groups for a total of five people while travelling. We spent three days and nights on a small lake and fished and day tripped out of there. We did not see another person for three days. Solitude was one of the reasons we chose to do the death march and it was worth the effort. We moved back to the first spot on Thursday and spent Thursday and Friday nights there. Saturday about 11:30 the boat came back and picked us up for the trip back to Crane Lake. Its back across the portages and through U.S. Customs, settle up with the outfitter and head home. A thousand and twenty-four miles door to door. A long drive, but I'm doing it again Saturday with a group of eight. The first trip was just my son and me and we travelled pretty light, like a backpacking trip. This next trip is a bunch of old guys and were going to base camp at that first spot my son and I stayed at. Everything but the kitchen sink is going. I pray it is open when we get there because I do not want to carry all that crap we're taking! I highly recommend this trip to anyone who will listen.

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

iahntr

Thanks a lot for takin the time and sharin all the pictures and details Pat,
appreciate it. That is really cool, somethin I should look in to some day.
Scott

weedwalker

Fantastic pictures Pat. Sounds like you had a great time. :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Boy that does look like the place to be. Especially with all that good fishing.
I'm amazed at how STILL some of those bodies of water get. Some of those pics looked like those lakes were glass.

I'm glad ya's enjoyed it, and I'm even gladder( is that a word) ya shared it with us. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Thanks for sharing this Pat. :bowingsmilie:
Looked like a grand time was had for sure.  Them mechanical portages got to be a pain eh :wink:.  How many guys would think to measure fishing trips in rods :shrug: :shrug:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Frogman

Pat,

Great photos!  Looks like a very enjoyable trip.  Especially being able to share it with your son!  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HaMeR

Danged if you guys don't have the greatest of times while you're up there Pat!! I'm glad you all had a bunch of fun & the fish were hitting for you!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11