• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My 1st buck!!

Started by HaMeR, December 19, 2016, 07:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaMeR

With a rifle that is!!

A couple years ago Ohio finally took a step forward from the shadows of the dark ages. They passed the use of straight walled cartridges in rifles during our week long & weekend deer firearms season!!!! Finally I got to carry my little Marlin 357 lever gun!! Well last year I passed on everything knowing there were big bucks on the property and that was how I wanted to christen this little rig. Came up empty. This year the same thing was happening & I actually got to see the 2 biggest bucks on the trail cam but couldn't get a shot. Yesterday was day 2 of our weekend gun season & with time winding down my Brother was taking me over to the blind I built in the Ranger to set til dark. As we came over the top of the ridge where we could see down to the feeder there was a decent deer already there. We drove over the hump & down toward the feeder & I got out at an intersection. Dave turned left & slowly motored away around the hill while I kept the blind between us. I got to the blind & peeked around the corner and he had moved off to the side & was looking up the hill. I stepped out & settled the crosshairs on him at about 30yds & let a 180gr XTP fly!! He ran up the hill like I had missed,, I know that run all too well,,,, and I watched him disappear over the top. Or so I thought anyway. Dave came back at the shot & we started up the hill. Very little blood. We didn't go far when Dave seen his head up in the air bobbing around with blood coming out of his mouth. We waited a few minutes & walked up & found this little fella.

Not the big buck I wanted for my 1st rifle deer but I'll take it!! That weight has been lifted!! This is the deer I've been waiting on since I bought this little gem back in 1982!! Shot several groundhogs over the years,, a couple coyotes & now a deer with it. It's retirement is pending & I couldn't be happier!!

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

Congratulations, meat for the freezer. cc  :highclap:

coyote101

Congratulations on christening the little Marlin, Glen  :congrats: I'm primarily a meat hunter. In my book, every legally and ethically taken animal is a trophy.  :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HuntnCarve

slagmaker

Right on!
But does a deer in a pickup bed pic count as a hero shot?

Ya got to have a pic of the rifle as well, Ya know.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

Quote from: coyote101 on December 19, 2016, 09:07:35 AM
Congratulations on christening the little Marlin, Glen  :congrats: I'm primarily a meat hunter. In my book, every legally and ethically taken animal is a trophy.  :yoyo:

Pat

I'll second all of Pat's post.  Good memory and that one should be extra good eating.

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

Glen,

Glad to hear that you got your first rifle buck.  Hasn't happened over on this side of the state.  Enjoy the venison.

Jerry

riverboss

Nicely Done Glen! That should eat very good.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

nastygunz

Saweeeet! Nice writing too!

HaMeR

Thanks guys!!

It sure was a lot of fun with that little rifle!!

Pat-- I passed up a lot of nice deer looking for that special buck. We had ran that little fella off the feeder earlier when we were checking it to make sure it was still working. We knew it was staying right there. Trail cam & live sightings confirmed that. Finally I just asked Dave to drop me off at the blind cause what would be neater than shooting my 1st rifle deer from a blind that I built right?? lol Well I never got in the blind but in the end all is well & the deer is being processed.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

BTW-- We still have archery into February and a 4 day muzzle loader hunt in January. Plus this buck only had 2 1/4" on the "tall" side so I can still shoot a bigger buck this season if the opportunity presents itself. Ohio has a 3" minimum before your buck tag is filled. I just snuck in under the limit. lol

My best guess on a green score would be 7 2/8!!  :yoyo: :yoyo: :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Quote from: HaMeR on December 20, 2016, 07:06:37 AM
My best guess on a green score would be 7 2/8!!  :yoyo: :yoyo: :laf: :laf:

I like it!   :yoyo: :highclap: :biggrin: What a dedicated bunch of horn hunters we are.  We measure EVERY buck for score.  I don't know what score it takes to make the book but you can tell folks that your buck is a little shy (you don't have to add the info that it is 170 points shy).   :innocentwhistle:

nastygunz

You shot your first rifle deer with a pistol caliber, does that qualify?  :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

Nice shooting Glen. Them young ones are just like candy.
:confused: Deer!...the young deer!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Quote from: nastygunz on December 20, 2016, 12:56:33 PM
You shot your first rifle deer with a pistol caliber, does that qualify?  :innocentwhistle:

YEP!! It's a straight walled cartridge!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

The other deer in the truck is Dave's. He used his 375Win out of his Contender pistol.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HaMeR

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 20, 2016, 10:14:06 PM

:rolleye: :rolleye:

:alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 20, 2016, 10:14:06 PM

I am so happy you added the second like to clear up my confusion.

Jerry

nastygunz

😂😂😂😂😂🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭🍭

HaMeR

:laf: :laf:

I shoulda cut the rack off that bad boy & used it for a set of rattling antlers!!  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Quote from: HaMeR on December 22, 2016, 07:19:36 AM

I shoulda cut the rack off that bad boy & used it for a set of rattling antlers!!  :laf: :laf:

Or toothpicks.  :hahaha:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing