• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My favorite place in the world!

Started by nastygunz, July 21, 2017, 12:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

I grew up literally right on the edge of the Pine Mountain wildlife management area with thousands and thousands of acres of woods and mountains and trees and brooks and beaver ponds. Hunting and fishing were my video games.  We did not have electricity or indoor running water. The house that I grew up in we now use as a camp and it is my favorite spot in the world to go to.  It has changed very little since I was a kid there are no developments they're very few flatlanders no traffic just how I like it.  I got my first shot gun when I was five years old and they had to drag me out of the woods every night ha ha.  I really enjoy seeing the younger members of the family go there and hunt and fish in the same spots that I used to. And the brooks are still ice cold and full of native brook trout, no stocked fish there!  When my dad died he had his ashes scattered there and I plan to do the same.  I hope everyone has a place in their life that they feel the same way about.

nastygunz

And it is 95% forested, you fellows who live in wide open places would be shocked at the woods there ha ha. That video reminds me of the time I was home on leave from the military and was about 25 years old and right at the very top of Pine Mountain where it was all boulders and ledges and scraggly pine I shot a big old mossy back buck deer. I then started dragging him back to the camp and about halfway back by the big beaver swamp I shot a  black bear.

I then dragged them both across a brook onto the power line and dragged them up the powerline till I got to the camp and then dragged them across another brook to the camp. I went into the camp and my dad said well? And I said well I said I hope you like dressing deer and bear and he said what? I said come on outside so him and my brothers went outside and he saw the deer in the bear and he said holy shit! :alscalls:

Dad said you drag them both up here by yourself? I said yessir. He said you ain't right in the head boy, but then later he told my brother who told me later, I wouldn't tell him he said, but he's a tough son of a bitch, I was kind of proud of that remark.Ahhh, memories!

riverboss

Beautiful country for sure! It sounds like you surprised the others that day with your skills.
I remember throwing a 7 point buck around my neck and carrying it up the hill in the pouring rain one morning, while everyone else set in the trucks waiting for it to stop raining!
I bet I looked crazy to them with my wet blood soaked clothing.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

pitw

I'd like to see that area as it looks very nice.  I'd get the closed in feeling in a hurry though as I love my wide open spaces. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

I used to wrap a deer around my shoulders and carry it out like that too ha ha. Then I got a little older and eased into the dragging part. Now if I get one I  delegate the dragging to one of the strong young lads in the family  :eyebrow:

One of my favorite activities growing up there was chasing all those snowshoe hares with a big pack of beagles!

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Jimbo, I never fished for any other fish except Brooktrout during my early years because there were no other fish up there. No bass perch bluegill catfish nothing but trout. I didn't experience other fish until I got my drivers license then I could travel to the Far Lands, Conn.River, 20 miles lol.  The first time I hooked onto a water wolf I said that ain't no brookie dammit!  :yoyo:

nailbender

FinsnFur

Thats how ya got so good at trout fishing.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

To me the brook trout will always be the king of game fish! I have a 6 foot, 2 weight fly rod that is my perfect brook fishing pole now. Even more important then that Jimbo,look what I found on sale in the bargain Cave at Cabela's : :yoyo

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain-cave/fishing/soft-baits|/pc/105591780/c/105740280/sc/105744780/net-bait-tackle-paca-craw/2227831.uts

Okanagan

Quote from: nailbender on July 22, 2017, 08:26:25 PM
  Nice back yard! :laf:

Sure is!  What a beautiful place.  I love the hardwoods forest, so different and prettier than our far west forest.

Nasty, I know a miserably tangled swampy pond off what used to be a 4x4 rutted old wagon road where I used to consistently catch brookies 2 to three pounds a good 30 years ago.  The lake beside it was full of 8-10 inchers.  I keep intending to go back this summer or Fall.  Brook trout are gorgeous in the Fall.  They go soft fast and my favorite way to eat them is to have a fire going and a skillet hot right beside the lake, so that we fish a little and cook a little, back and  forth.   I'll go check to see if it is still good fishing and then you can come out if you can, though I am sure there is better brook trout fishing in places back east like New Brunswick. 

nastygunz

There's nothing prettier than a spawning Brooktrout! I like them fried up either roll it in flour and corn meal with salt pepper, D licious!  Nothing beats a streamside fish fry that's for sure :

Good Brooktrout spots are like your family, you cherish and protect them at all costs👍😉

P.S.  The ruffed grouse, or as we call them partridge, is the real king of gamebirds not the wild turkey, just wanted to throw that in there  :yoyo: :biggrin:

nastygunz

At the camp today, beautiful day, there were berries picked, bbq, frogs caught and quite a few beers drank:

nastygunz

Of course with all those beautiful children and women folk roaming around you have to have Tight camp security :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

Kids an animal, he competes in the Tough Mudder endurance races,friggin funny :biggrin: