• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

11 kits in one litter

Started by snafu, September 21, 2017, 07:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

Through various connections. I was informed of a litter of Red Fox kits. This last Spring. I met the landowner then kept checking back to her property to get pup pics. The female had 11 kits in all. Two of whom were runts & roughly 2-3 wks behind all of the other kits in maturing. The runts remained "brownish" for quite awhile. It was a 1st for me seeing the difference in maturity in the same litter. I've had the pleasure of observing many litters over the yrs. I told the landowner, more than likely. The runts didn't get their share of mother's milk early on. Which stunted their maturity. That's my take anyway.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

Okanagan

Interesting info.  Thanks for posting.  I had no idea that a fox litter could have that many.

pitw

That's a lot of fox's.  I take it no one owns chickens nearby for them all to survive. :shrug:  Around this part of the world they have a tougher time.
I say what I think not think what I say.

snafu

Quote from: Okanagan on September 21, 2017, 09:13:11 AM
Interesting info.  Thanks for posting.  I had no idea that a fox litter could have that many.

That is the most I've ever seen. I read somewhere someone had seen a litter of 14 & shown a few pics. Some guessed it was an old female & her previous year female kit. Sharing the same den site. I don't know about that theory? I have seen where an old female denned year after year at the same site. Et two other young females denned a 1/4 mile from the old female's den site. That scenario I believe was. Because the old male sired two of his females from the previous year litter. Because between all 3 dens. Only a lone male roamed the area. That is my "theory" anyway & I'm sticking to it.

It is most interesting. One can be an avid predator hunter/observer most of his/her Life. Right when you think You've just about seen it all. You see something you never have before & thought it not true.

Myself...I blame the crows. For crowding my better judgement. Well...OK, I blame women also. Duh  :laf: 

nailbender

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

What is up with Photobucket? It won't let me upload. Anyone know of a free secure? ...yeah right. pic hosting site?

Okanagan

Quote from: snafu on September 23, 2017, 04:18:29 PM
What is up with Photobucket? It won't let me upload. Anyone know of a free secure? ...yeah right. pic hosting site?

Several months ago Photobucket messed up everybody's pictures.  Without warning they stopped people from posting photos for free from Photobucket to sites like this one.  You have to pay Photobucket $399 to post photos, or it may be even more.  I didn't follow it all nor fully understand it and somebody else can probably explain more if you want tech talk.  Photobucket is working their way through millions of customers and some people still haven't been caught and can still post photos from there.  I was one of the first nailed and all of my photos on this site before June of this year are gone.  Nearly everybody I know walked away from Photobucket rather than pay the exorbitant extortion.  They have the right to charge for their service but the abrupt cut off with no warning nor even explanation was rude and felt like a ransom note to get back kidnapped pictures. 

I am using Imgur when I want to post a photo.  I tried several photo hosting services.  All are a pain but that one worked the easiest for me.