• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Clear water in the Chilliwack River

Started by Okanagan, April 01, 2018, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Happy Easter morning!  Easter pics taken from a logging road that runs along the edge of the river at this spot.  There are steelhead in there right now.  I didn't see any but didn't look very hard.

nastygunz

JohnP

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

riverboss

Looks very clear and clean!

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Okanagan

Quote from: riverboss on April 01, 2018, 04:08:44 PM
Looks very clear and clean!

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

It was snow not very far upriver!

nastygunz

Does that beautiful glacial Stream House the king of game fish, the brOok trout?

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on April 01, 2018, 06:40:11 PM
Does that beautiful glacial Stream House the king of game fish, the brOok trout?

No brook trout in the Chilliwack.

I don't think that brook trout are native to any streams in the far west.  I know of several lakes that hold brookies but am fairly sure that they all were stocked.  The Chilliwack River/Vedder Canal (one stream that changes names part way down where it is diked and channelized) has steelhead and all five species of Pacific salmon. 

I have never fished this river for trout.  The regs allow trout fishing for rainbow and cutthroat trout less than 20 inches long. Releasing any over 20" is probably intended to protect steelhead and large sea run cutthroats.  Yanno, I gotta take a rod along and see what I can catch for trout one of these days.  Fly fishing only on lower river/Vedder.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

That is exactly the kind of stream brook trout love. What is that red object in the tree it looks like a fishing bobber?

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on April 01, 2018, 11:01:15 PM
That is exactly the kind of stream brook trout love. What is that red object in the tree it looks like a fishing bobber?

The red ball is on a cable that runs across the river.   Probably to warn the pilot in case a helicopter flies through.  Cables and power lines across rivers all have them out here.  The cable has a little platform hanging from it that will hold one man who would pull himself across the river by hand.  Don't know if it is fisheries, forestry or some private land owner but it looks like it is never used and is locked.

nastygunz

Well thats purty interesting,  amazing the different things in this massive country. Sometimes when you get comfy in your own state you tend to forget about just how large this country really is and all the regional differences.

Hawks Feather

I always like seeing pics of clear water.  Around here we have runoff from the fields and you can't see something a foot under water.  But with that being said it doesn't seem to bother the fish - especially the Walleye that are starting their run.

Jerry