• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Emerald Ash Borer

Started by Dave, May 13, 2018, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Cut down a big dead ash tree behind the house last week and am now splitting it up. 
Here's how I understand the Emerald Ash Borer kills an ash tree. You'll notice in the pics below the swerving, back and forth nature of the feeding trails left by the beetle larvae.  This feeding pattern disrupts/stops the capillary flow of the tree and eventually kills it when enough larvae infests it . Normally beetles tunnel parallel to the up and down capillary system of a tree. This feeding pattern still allows a tree to deliver water/nutrients up and down the tree.  The horizontal pattern the Ash Borer lays down stops the flow.

Anywhere I removed the bark on this tree, it was just riddled with these cross-cut patterns. 

This beetle is a gift from Asia.   It was first found around Detroit in 2002, and is now in 32 states and has decimated the forests of ash trees across Pennsylvania.

Okanagan

Bummer!  Good pics to show how it kills a tree. 

Some good firewood there!

nastygunz

They just found them in my town!

riverboss

They sure kill the hell out of the ash trees, it's devastating tree tops are very dangerous as you never know when they will come down.
My driveway was lined with them it was a pain to deal with.

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

remrogers

Very similar to pine beetle damage, but at least they weren't brought from overseas. Doesn't make much difference though. There are huge areas across the west with extensive beetle damage. One lightning strike and up it goes.

Hawks Feather

They went through here several years ago and didn't miss a single tree.  If not logged, they are coming down due to drying out - which is not a good thing if you are in the woods.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Tons of it here too. On the good side.. That ash makes excellent firewood. It burns good and hot, it dries fast, and it's a clean burning wood. Meaning has low ash content afterwards. I love the stuff.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com