• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

FoxPro Question

Started by THO Game Calls, July 23, 2008, 04:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THO Game Calls

I have a hunting buddy sitting here who is interested in a Fox Pro caller.   (I tried to go the Minaska or WT route but he likes the Fox Pro)

Anyway - he spent the afternoon looking at both the xr6 and the fx 3  the FX 5 is out of his price range.   We read the adds on the FoxPro site, and the instruction manuals for both callers but a couple of questions remain.

One - why does the xr6 only use 4 batteries when the FX 3 uses 8?

Two - Are they any other electronic differences in the xr 6 and the fx 3 other than the batteries and the selector switch on the remote to run different units?

That's it.  He is going to order from All Predator Calls and I told him to call them and they would help but he's here now and we figured someone might know the answers to these questions.

Thanks

Al & Marc - who will have to hunt with a bag on his head if he buys a fox pro -   just kidding - he's so ugly I make him wear a bag on his head all the time anyway.
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Gary in CA

Check out FP's new banner ad touting the new fall lineup.  And some recent posts about new models being shown off at KS.  Looking into my xtal ball - The FX3 at the current price doesn't quite match up to the M-1 base model (same batteries, speaker, similar remote) or some of the new Western Rivers models so it's got to go or be drastically reduced in price.  The 5 has got to be replaced by the Scorpion stereo amp and the remote speaker switch and off/on function.  Asked directly about the FX3/5, Mike D. said that "The FX series will remain in the lineup."  Reading between the lines, that means new FX models or drastically reduced prices.

There's a huge difference between 5 volts and 10 volts both output and recharge.  It can't be the same amp.

I have no inside track on Minaska news either, other than they just moved to a 3000 ft showroom office with a 61,000 ft manufacturing facility next door.  Those guys don't tell anyone anything in advance.

And Bill's a fool if he doesn't release a programmable caller soon.  He's got to make one or disappear.

So, I've been telling people to buy one of the deeply discounted models either from the manufacturer or ebay - or wait for the new lineup this fall. 

THO Game Calls

Wow - a Minaska rep respnds before a FoxPro rep.

Go figure.

Thanks for the info.  I will pass it along.

Al

THO Game Calls

60 views and the only guy who responded was a Minaska Field rep.

I'll be sure to pass this bit of info along to my buddy.

Thanks -

Al

Gary in CA

Thanks Al.  I check this area about once a week.  I have a multi-page no-hype feature-by-feature caller comparison for the current models posted in the electronics section at CaliVC.com, a site run by a friend of mine which your friend might also find interesting.  I try to keep it real, stick to the facts, and leave opinion out of it.  I like to play the same exact sound file on a bunch of callers and let the audience make up their minds on their own.

My favorite recent comment after a caller seminar July 5th from someone who watched my demo.

"I don't know which one sounds the best, but I sure as hell know which one sounds the worst."

THO Game Calls

Hi Gary,

I read the write up, interesting, but not what I was looking for.   The questions remain.  It appears, that unless this question gets asked on PM it wont get answered here.   Perhaps the FoxPro staff that frequents this board is too busy shooting coyotes by the dozens to take the time.

I'll direct Marc over to PM, have him register and ask in the forum there.  I don't like him that much anyway   :eyebrownod:

Al

bigben

why not just have him call them.  wouldn't that be easier?  i would have awnsered but i do not know why they are like that.  it could be the reason why a foxpro rep did not awenser is because allmost everytime one of em post something here they get jumped.  JMHO.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Rich

Well boys, the biggest reason that I didn't respond earlier is because I have been so busy trying to keep up with killer call orders that I sometimes meet myself coming out of the shop as I am on the way back in.  :eyebrownod:  The second reason is because I have never tested anything except the FX-5 and the Scorpion. The Scorpion has great sound quality with the little built in speaker, and the small size makes it handy for calling all day while on foot. The volume with the stock speaker is OK for calling the thick stuff where you don't want so much noise, and also OK on calm days, even in open country calling. If you need more volume (and I like loud callers) you will want to invest in their SP-55 speaker, or try a 15 AMP TOA. I don't care for relying on the remote control to turn the caller on, even though a lot of folks love it. I prefer to turn the caller on before I walk to my chosen hidey hole. I always make sure the caller is on before I walk away from it.

The FX-5 has excellent sound quality, and for the sounds I use in the field, the built in "horn" speaker always gets the nod. If I were a feller who wanted to save a little money by buying an FX-3, I would call FoxPro and ask them if the same speakers and amp are used in the FX-3 as they presently are using in the FX-5. If they are the same speakers and amp, I would not hesitate to go with an FX-3.

At the time of this message, I have to be honest and tell you that Minaska and FoxPro are about equal in both sound quality and reliable remote control distance. I have used both. Now for those of you who already have a caller, and you are wanting something that is  above and beyond any electronic caller in existence, just be patient. It is coming real soon. If I told you what it is, I would soon have a price on my head.  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

bootmud

I've noticed since my time here at FnF that Foxpro takes a bad rap for some reason here and I'm not sure why.  I have no experience with other Ecallers other than Foxpro products.  I know alot of the Foxpro guys very well which makes me more confused as to the chip on the shoulders of some here.  :confused:

Although I don't have experience with the other manufactures I don't downgrade their products, services, or lack of time spent on a message board.  When someone is looking for advise I always give an honest opinion on Foxpro BUT also make mention that I've never used the competitors productds either.

I have to agree with Bigben, is someone has technical questions before buying a unit, especially about an electronic device that costs hunderds of dollars why not call the manufacturer????  How many people here really have the know how to answer those questions and be 100% correct in their answer? :shrug:

bootmud

www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

bigben

I am sure we just opened a can of worms curt. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Rprince

Quote from: bigben on July 24, 2008, 08:02:03 AM

You may have, but I agree with you.
I hunt with a foxpro, & have not tried a Minaska, I hear they are very nice calls & I tell people that, I don't have any reason to bash a Minaska especially when I haven't hunted over one. 

THO, I wish I could answer your question but I don't know the difference between the 2 calls.

THO Game Calls

Nope - no can of worms.  We did not call FoxPro yesterday because I dont have a phone in my shop and we were trying to get the info so he could make up his mind and buy his caller.  

Marc is not a computer guy - he has hunted with me a few times and likes it and wants to buy a caller.   He was here and looking on line and he had questions that I did not have answers too.  So I thought someone here might know.   That's it.  No agenda, just two simple questions.  

If I am not allowed to ask them on this board, then screw it.  I wont ask anything on this board.  

Al

bigben

i hope you do find out what ya need al.  i know that uttering the word foxpro on here generally raises a few eye brows and makes some peoples hair stand up on the back of their neck.  if ya give foxpro a call I am sure they can get it figured out.  I did not mean any ill fealins towards you al.  just statin what I have seen here in the past.  I am surprised that you guys did not talk him into a minaska.  mainly for the simple fact that you know how they work and can help him out if he needs it.  god luck and hope ya get it figured out.  takereasy ben smyser

George Ackley

I have used them all or had one of them all out in front of me at one time or another,
I have no problems with foxpro or Mike Dillon,i Will go as far to say he, mike Dillon is probably the nice's guy I have met in the commercial side of the predator hunting industry  . but as far as team foxpro the guys that will go out of there way to start a pissing match with yea, they are to much to handle .. don't get into a discussion about e callers with one of them ,you end up being bombarded by the hole clan.
there are so many guys out there just saying they love the foxpro just because they know Mike .
if someone ask a question about the different callers leave your answerer if you haven't used them all to
I have a foxpro and love it,,,,, like Big Ben said he hasn't tried others but he like his foxpro
that is the perfect reply,, to many unqualified guys telling and arguing how great the call is. but on some boards it just to much foxpro being shoved down your though and if you disagree then team foxpro shows up in force and on some sight the hole administration in  foxpro's pocket ,,
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Rprince

Quote from: George Ackley on July 24, 2008, 10:00:48 AM
but as far as team foxpro the guys that will go out of there way to start a pissing match with yea, they are to much to handle .. don't get into a discussion about e callers with one of them ,you end up being bombarded by the hole clan.

George,
I agree that it has been this way for a while, people get real touchy about someone questioning their foxpro. But I must say, here lately I feel that some of the Minaska guys have been just as bad if not worse (I'm referring to PM).

They both make good calls with different features, people don't have to bash another product just to say theirs is better, what I love about a call someone else may hate.

Someone should make a video of the 2 calls being used, just a quick reference, with someone sitting at the kitchen table explaining the functions of the call that are used the most, then folks can at least have some sort of a visual perception of the 2 calls and what the difference is.

bootmud

Quote from: bigben on July 24, 2008, 08:02:03 AM

I hope not, I haven't stated anything that should offend anyone here or any Ecall Mfgr's. 

I certainly didn't say anything to warrant this either......If I am not allowed to ask them on this board, then screw it.  I wont ask anything on this board. 

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

THO Game Calls

Like I said -

Screw it -

I got the answer - and turst me - you done EVEN want me to go there.   Let it die.   Or you WII have a HUGE can of worms that will make Snakes on a Plane look like Disney Land.

Al

George Ackley

maybe you have wood chips in your eyes i don't see where anyone has said anything to get you going like this AL

Like I said -

Screw it -

I got the answer - and turst me - you done EVEN want me to go there.   Let it die.   Or you WII have a HUGE can of worms that will make Snakes on a Plane look like Disney Land.

Al

We wouldnt wont that now would we :whew: :laf: :roflmao: :laf: :roflmao: :roflmao: :laf: :yoyo: :holdon:

THO Game Calls

George  - why not just let it go?  Anything that gets discussed from here on out will just go over your head anyway, so save yourself some greif and drop it.  I have the answer, now it will be up to my buddy which Minaska caller he buys.

Al

George Ackley

you got it AL :bowingsmilie:

Snakes on a Plane    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I THINK YOU NEED A HUG

TAKE ONE