• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Picked this up today

Started by coyote101, July 30, 2008, 06:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

For about the cost of a new barrel for my 870, I got this Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag with B-Square saddle mount, scope and sling. It has the Ulti full turkey choke (labeled "lead shot only"). I have a couple of questions. Does anyone here have any experience with the 835, and can I shoot Dead coyote loads through this choke? Thanks.

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

wv_yoter

Pat, one of my hunting buddies bought the same shotgun and the Carlson dead coyote choke tube and loves it. He shoots the    3 1/2 Dead coyote loads and said he felt comfortable out to 60 yards.
Jason

cb223

I don't think I would feel comfortable doing it.. Thats a really tight choke and dead coyote is pretty big shot and it is definitely not lead.

I think you should research it a bit. See if can find some info on choke tube diameters for what size and type of shot.
CHAD

alscalls

I shoot the 835 a lot.........I would not without consulting the manufacture......I have shot heavy shot out of the recomended chokes and dang It shoots good. But I have not shot the dead coyote load yet. I think if you call them and call Mossberg you should find the right answer. Nice set up I love my Mossberg but watch cleanning behind the ports in the barrell, Plastic from the wads can build up on em even if you clean it a lot and it is hard to see and harder to remove.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

coyote101

Thanks guys. I think I'll get one of those dead coyote tubes and give it a try.
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Hey Pat

Be prepared for a little recoil with those 3 1/2 inch shells.   :biggrin:

The 835 kicks like my granddaddy's mule.   :eyebrownod:

Semp

vvarmitr

Quote from: Semp on July 31, 2008, 04:50:47 AM Be prepared for a little recoil with those 3 1/2 inch shells.   :biggrin:
I'll amen that!!!!!  ;yes;

coyote101

This arrived yesterday. I'm anxious to get out and pattern it and see if it works as good as I hope it does.

Pat

NRA Life Member

Silencer

Pat, whats the diameter of that choke ? 

FinsnFur

Missed this one, but I sure like the looks of your new 835. :yoyo:
I've always been a fan of Mossbergs

Dont forget to let us know how that choke works out for ya :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

When I first got my 835 i used it for turkey hunting and then shot some steel through it as i had no other choke just then and split the turkey choke.....didnt read the microscopic lettering on the choke that says lead only...Mossberg sent me another turkey choke which is what i use now and it throws a wicked pattern...for other then turkey hUnting i use a polychoke2 on it...i might look into a dead coyote choke though heard they are....KILLER :yoyo:

alscalls

Let us know........take pics :eyebrownod:
AL

coyote101

Quote from: Silencer on August 10, 2008, 04:33:30 PM
Pat, whats the diameter of that choke ? 

It looks like its about .690, which interstingly is the same as the Ulti full turkey choke that was in it. Carlson designed this choke especially for the Dead Coyote loads and everything I've read says it is a deadly combination. I sure hope so. I'll let you know how the patterning goes.

Pat
NRA Life Member

Silencer

thanks Pat,  let us know, take some pics of your test results  :wink:

5 SHOTS

It won't work. Send the gun to me, and I'll start looking for something that will.  :fingerx:  :biggrin: :biggrin:  :shrug: Worth a try ...right?
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

coyote101

I got out to the range today to try out the new gun/choke/ammo combination. Mossberg 835/Carlson's Dead Coyote choke tube/Hevi-shot Dead Coyote 3-inch T-shot. I shot 50 and 60 yards; not an exhaustive test because those Dead Coyote loads are over $3.60 each and I only had a box of ten. The small center target is 10"X10", the white paper is about 25"X35", and the cardboard is 36"X48". Here are the results:

At 50 yards there were 8 pellets on or just nicking the center target, 6 more within a half inch of it. 43 pellets on the white paper and a total of 48 on the cardboard. The center of the pattern is a bit to the right.

At 60 yards there were still 8 pellets on the center target. 40 pellets on the white paper and 50 total on the cardboard. If you overlay a 30 inch circle on the center of the target, it contains 38 pellets. I made a slight adjustment, but the center of the pattern is still a little to the right.  I used the same cardboard from the previous shot so there are more than 10 holes in it but only ten are from this shot.

So what do you think? Is this a dense enough pattern to be effective on coyote at these ranges?

Pat
NRA Life Member

coyote101

Quote from: 5 SHOTS on August 11, 2008, 06:57:45 PM
It won't work. Send the gun to me, and I'll start looking for something that will.  :fingerx:  :biggrin: :biggrin:  :shrug: Worth a try ...right?

:laugh2:
NRA Life Member

alscalls

It would be interesting to see different ranges but I would need to see the holes in the black better to tell ya anything about that pattern. I would say with the larger pellets it is possible to be a kill shot though I would try and stick to 40 yds or less on a yote.
How many pellets are in each round? Vs how many in your circle?
AL

Rich

I picked up one of these the other day.

http://products.berettausa.com/images/immagini_maxi/J391C26_Max4HD_S_maxi.jpg

A kicks .680 tube on it is showing some promise at 40 yards, but the gun shoots low for me. My Smith is installing a center bead on the rib for me, and I have a Kicks BuckKicker X-Full tube on order. I also ordered up 25 rounds of 3.5" Winchester  fodder that is loaded with 54 of the big #4 Buck pellets. Are we having fun yet?  :laf:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Rich

coyote101,

I tried one of those Carlson "dead coyote" tubes on my Browning pump that is not back bored. The dead coyote tube they sent me was a .660, and it didn't pattern worth a hoot for me. Your gun being back bored, will need a larger I.D. tube than my Browning. All shotguns are different when it comes to choke/load combination. Nice gun you have there, and I am certain there is a choke tube that will work the magic for you. Good hunting to you
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------