• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Kids first shoot.

Started by Todd Rahm, January 09, 2011, 08:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rahm

This is the first contest both kids have shot in. It's a two day event. Wyatt wasn't motivated the first day and it was the first time Kenna ever had to shoot from the 20 yard line.

Kenna shot a 52 the first day and Wyatt shot a 137. Poor Kennas arrows had to do a major arc just to get down there. Kenna shot a 60 the second day and Wyatt with a lil money motivator shot a 197.

FinsnFur

I didnt even know you had a daughter :yoyo: Nice to meet ya Kenna, keep up the good work.

Thats awesome that they're both getting into it that young. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Tikaani

Good to see the kids out there shooting Todd, especially that young.  Amazing what a little money does isn't it.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

HaMeR

Congratulations to both of them for showing up & putting forth a good effort. Kudos to you for taking them along on your own interests & showing them how to enjoy them.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Right on Kenna, Wyatt and you as well Todd :yoyo:.  What a great way to learn and spend time doing something together.
I say what I think not think what I say.

securpro

:highclap: :highclap: My kids Joseph(patriotson) and Jessica(gadsdengirl01) have been shooting for almost three years now but this year they started shooting the 3D's with me :yoyo: They both love it and by the looks of it yours do too,Kenna has a very good form from what it looks like in the pic. Those Genesis bow are a godsend for getting the kids into archery vs the old cheapy piastic recurves and 2# arrows.
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Hawks Feather

Todd,

Glad to see that your kids were able to get out and shoot some targets.  It is great practice and probably not something that you can do in your backyard right now.  I hope they had fun.

Jerry

Todd Rahm

I put a video up there but don't see it on my phone?

Yes Jim, this is MaKenna, my 10 year old daughter.

Here's the kicker fellas.......... I don't shoot archery at all or yet for sure. I was looking for something to keep Wyatt busy since they kind of disbanded his soccer team. Took Wyatt to the archery shop in November just see if he would be interested, and took Kenna along for the ride. The lady is fixing to let Wyatt shoot and give him some pointers, and Kenna asked if she could try too. Both kids liked it so much, we signed them up for a youth weekend league, where the shop let them use this Genisis bows. After about a month I ended up forking over the cash for a Mission Craze for Wyatt and a Mission Menace for Kenna. I didn't think the bows were bad, it was all the accessories that added up, Doh!

Well both kids are liking it. I told both kids $2 for a 10 and $1 for anything else in the yellow rings. Wyatt got me for $7 and Kenna got me for $3. The money factor really slowed Wyatt down too. The shot 3 arrows for the shoot, but Wyatt was doing some additional shooting after words. I made what I thought was a safe bet and told Wyatt if he got all 6 in the yellow I would give him $100. He scared the crap out of me with the first four, then I think he made himself nervous.  :whew:

Thanks for all the great comments!

Hawks Feather

The Genisis bows are pretty neat in that they can be used for several different "sized" shooters.  The archery group at the Fish and Game has some that they let kids use for their 3-D shoots and also Kids Day.  I even shot a few arrows with one and liked them.

Jerry

iahntr

Very nice Todd !  :yoyo:
Tell em super job ! I love seein kids like that havin fun with Archery.
That's the main thing, to keep it fun ! When I had an archery shop we
had leagues too, I miss that part of it.

and I'm sure that 20 yard line looked like a looooooong ways to her.  :eyebrownod:  It's a big difference.
Scott

Todd Rahm

Yeah it sure did Scott. Lol, poor thing, but she had fun. Both kids were reluctant as they figured they weren't good enough, but the both had fun and Wystt really started to get into it. The next leaguebthey start up here, is the youth 3D and Wyatts jazzed about that.

I want to put a target up in the back yard, and use my shed as the ultimate safety barrier to protect from any wild shots, but I would like to build a nice back stop to protect ir from any close misses. Any ideas?

While I was at this shoot, one of the traditional guys talked me into giving his break down recurve a try, and I have say that thing was fun and a lil more rewarding when ya gurneys paper. I looked them up and there is a crap load of them. Any recommendations if I wanted to buy one and see if I really like it, at an entry level?

There was a guy there that was shooting traditional, that was wearing a jacket that said world champion tradition archer something on it? Man, was he good, and he could have out shot a few of those compound fellas all day long!

Hawks Feather

There is an art to traditional shooting and I don't have it.  But it sure is fun to watch the shooters that have mastered it.

Jerry

iahntr

I think they should have a lot of fun with the 3 D shoot, overall I think more people enjoyed those, especially the kids.
As far as a backstop, a few off the top of my head would be, stacked cardboard, I made one out of styrofoam blocks that you can get from businesses that sell trailers, they use them in shipping the smaller utility trailers, maybe Menards or Lowes amongst others, or styrofoam insulation sheets, or even a sheet or two of OSB board, they even make netting that you can buy for it. Just all depends on the $ you wanna spend.
Shooting traditional is a lot of fun. It takes a little more practice, and on a regular basis, to be consistently accurate with em. Typically a recurves weight is measured at 28" draw length so any draw shorter then that will be less pounds, and any draw length longer will be pulling
back more pounds. One important thing when it comes to accuracy is a consistent anchor point,( lets say for traditional shooting, your finger in the same spot in the corner of your mouth every time ) so you need to get a bow that you can comfortably draw back and get to your same anchor point every time. If it's too heavy (too many pounds) and ya can't get back to your anchor point every time without struggling, you'll loose accuracy, and you won't have much fun shooting it either. But, the disadvantage of a recurve is that you can't change the draw weight. So lets say you have a 27" draw length, that doesn't change, you get a bow that is 55# at 28", you'll be holding back about 52#. It usually goes 2-3 lbs up or down from 28". So starting out you may need to get a 45# bow, once you get used to it, you can handle a 55# bow.
I'm not sure what the traditional shooter that let you shoot his bow had for weight, but maybe if he's a local he sounds like a good place to get some info from. If you want to just try a recurve to see if ya like it, I'd even try e-bay for an older used one to start out with, that way you can get used it to it, and then also go up in lbs maybe on a nicer one. You can spend pretty big bucks on a custom Take down recurve pretty fast. So the biggest thing is to be able to try one out so ya get an idea of the pound of bow you should get.

Boy, after re reading this, I hope some of it makes sense to ya.  :eyebrownod:  Fire back with any questions ya might have.  :laf:
Scott

Todd Rahm

It all makes great sense, thanks s yon for it. I have been checking out EBay just to get an idea.

The fellas bow was a #50 at about 28 draw, if I recall him correctly.

Todd Rahm

Well, I went down again today and shot a few recurves. I shot the #50 break down again, and then she put the #35 limbs on it and I shot it a bit. With several folks watching me, one mentioned I probably needed a #45 and told me to try his. Lol, he said he got it at a garage sale for $10.  :alscalls: But, he stated he had the arrows tuned in for this bow. It was lighter, and while I didn't hit what I was aiming at  :innocentwhistle: I had three arrows in a 3" circle about 6" to the left of the target. Heck i was happy a grouped it.  :biggrin: Then I offered him $20 for his $10 find.  :alscalls: He passed on my offer.

There was an older fella next to me that was supporting all the Team Hoyt logos and shooting a decked out Hoyt Compund, that went and got his recurve when I started shooting. I kid ya not the fella walked up to the 20 yard line with ONE arrow. He shot that thing dead center in the middle of the "X". I called him a show off and told him to quit trying to discourage me.  :nono:

Well I went a head and ordered a Samick Sage Break Down at #45. Figured for a $130 it would be a good starter for me to start getting the jist of things with. Back ordered until Mid Feb. When it gets here I start looking at arrows.

HaMeR

That was all we had when I learned to shoot Todd. None of these new fangled gadgets with the training wheels.  :laf: :laf:  Dad had a 60lb draw & I remember Dad & his Friends would shoot 1st. They would shoot 35yds & let me & my Brother shoot last. On the way to the targets.  :laf:  We would shoot 15yds because we couldn't draw the bow back far enough to shoot much further than that.  :laf: :laf:  Oh the fun we would have. The ole 3 fingered gloves. Or the shooting tab. Never could get used to that one.  :nono: :nono:  Wooden arrows. I'm glad some people still enjoy the "old school" style.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

I am not into Archery myself  but I think a backstop of Hay Bales would work. Give the kids my Kudo's.  :congrats: cc

weedwalker

3 bales of straw stacked up is an excellent backstop. It's great to get the kids out shooting. My wife and I both shoot recurves. Mines a PSE Coyote t/d 55# and hers is a PSE Razorback t/d 30#. We go to my brothers shooting and get all the nieces and nephews out shooting too. It's a great family sport. :yoyo: