• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

WTH!

Started by nastygunz, June 10, 2024, 02:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Why is the price of .410 ammo so outrageous? Being such a small round it uses less components than any others such as the 12 gauge so therefore it should be cheaper right? Being a longtime fan and 410 hunter I have a good supply of ammo so they can keep their overpriced ammunition.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Good Lord, I saw him embarrassing himself and the country in front of the world at the D-Day event, he literally looked like a zombie and like he didn't even know where he was. I was tidying up my ammunition locker and found nine boxes of 410 birdshot and four boxes each of buckshot and slugs. They can keep their $22 a box ammunition. :argh:

bigben

For a long time you could not find it anywhere.  Prob supply and demand as the supply was non existant for a long time.  I picked up a O/U .22 410 for squirrels and was lucky to have two boxes squirreled away to use it.  I got some 3" in 8 shot of something like that but a squirrel is pretty tuff to kill with one. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

I have a Chiappa o/u .22/410, great squarril gun. And a Thompson Contender 410 handgun.

bigben

I have the synthetic version of it.  Other then I set it up with too low a power scope first time I am pretty happy with it.  I put a 1.5-4 luppy on it thinking I would need lower power to use the scope.  I half think a 2-7 would be perfect now and have been looking for one.  Id also like to clean up the trigger a bit as it is a bit stiff.  But i killed a few squirlles with it this fall. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

I have been thinking of some sort of optic on mine also. Did yours come with some sort of scope mount or rail on it? Mine just has a tiny dovetail if you take the back peep sight off. I hate to say it but the old eyes don't work as good as they used to with iron sights.

bigben

Well I think mine was supposed to have a peep but the wife got it at bass pro and they had the wrong box in storage.  So they must have gave it to someone else.  Mine came with a very short pic rail on it already installed.  I kinda would have liked to have the peep as it would have been a pretty cool addition. 

nastygunz

Holy moley the price of them has shot up!

bigben

I got to looking on amazon and seen vortex makes a nice little 2-7 they even have a rimfire version.  Im not sure what the difference is.  usually the focus is set at 50 yards instead of 100. 

bigben

To add onto this little gun I got it to pack away for kind of a truck gun.  When I head upstate dad always had a cheap h n r topper 20ga that we would bring and shoot grouse and the occasional squirrel with when we got bored and wanted to walk around camp.  I figured something like this with detachable scope mounts would be awesome to pack along.  a .22 for squirrel and the shotgun to take a grouse if we walked up on one. 

First thing I did was deburred the locking lug pretty good to smooth up the break action on it.  I had to almost brace myself to break it open before.  Now a simple drop of the lever and a little bit more and it pops open easily.  The next thing I want to do is take the stock off and try to clean whatever made the triggers gritty.  Apparently chiappas machining department doesnt clean the swarf out of the action so I think a good cleaning and relube would go a long way.  I also would like to texture the grip a bit to give it some more grip as honestly its kinda slippy.  not to mention the pull is a bit long even for me. 

nastygunz

Mine still breaks open pretty tight. I put some white lithium grease on the lug, helped alot. I'm going to dig mine out and look at some optics options for it. I got a nice camouflage shotgun scabbard that it fits in perfectly. This is what mine has for a rear sight:

nastygunz

I have one of these also:

bigben

not exactly sure what that is?

I have been obsessed with combo guns since I was young I have a .223/12ga Russian made gun that I used for furbearers for a while.  heavy as all get out. 

nastygunz

Same here, my old neighbor had a savage 24 I lusted after. I dug my double badger out and took that rear sight off. It was pretty easy I just loosened the set screw and used a punch and tapped the sight out of the dovetail. I tried a set of rimfire scope rings and they fit the base on the gun. I just ordered a Bushnell 1.5/4.5 scope for it. When that comes in I will see how it fits. I have been meaning to put a scope or a red dot on that gun for years and just never seem to get around to it and it took me about three minutes to take the rear sight off and put the rings on. With iron sights there is no way that I can do a headshot on a squirrel anymore with my old eyes.

bigben

yea a peep would have been nice but the fiber optic front sight I could imagine it would be tuff.  I made some 50 or so yard shots on squirrels with the 1.5-4 power that is on it but it was tuff.  Im going to be driving right past cabelas this weekend heading to an archery comp.  I might have a little stoppy stop on the way home for a look through some scopes and maybe take one home.  That 2-7 I think will be a good size I can use for both the chiappa and I have a trapper model 336 that it would probably do well on as well.  so if it doesnt work on the chiappa it has a home on another gun.