• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

WTH!

Started by nastygunz, June 10, 2024, 02:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Why is the price of .410 ammo so outrageous? Being such a small round it uses less components than any others such as the 12 gauge so therefore it should be cheaper right? Being a longtime fan and 410 hunter I have a good supply of ammo so they can keep their overpriced ammunition.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Good Lord, I saw him embarrassing himself and the country in front of the world at the D-Day event, he literally looked like a zombie and like he didn't even know where he was. I was tidying up my ammunition locker and found nine boxes of 410 birdshot and four boxes each of buckshot and slugs. They can keep their $22 a box ammunition. :argh:

bigben

For a long time you could not find it anywhere.  Prob supply and demand as the supply was non existant for a long time.  I picked up a O/U .22 410 for squirrels and was lucky to have two boxes squirreled away to use it.  I got some 3" in 8 shot of something like that but a squirrel is pretty tuff to kill with one. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

I have a Chiappa o/u .22/410, great squarril gun. And a Thompson Contender 410 handgun.

bigben

I have the synthetic version of it.  Other then I set it up with too low a power scope first time I am pretty happy with it.  I put a 1.5-4 luppy on it thinking I would need lower power to use the scope.  I half think a 2-7 would be perfect now and have been looking for one.  Id also like to clean up the trigger a bit as it is a bit stiff.  But i killed a few squirlles with it this fall. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

nastygunz

I have been thinking of some sort of optic on mine also. Did yours come with some sort of scope mount or rail on it? Mine just has a tiny dovetail if you take the back peep sight off. I hate to say it but the old eyes don't work as good as they used to with iron sights.

bigben

Well I think mine was supposed to have a peep but the wife got it at bass pro and they had the wrong box in storage.  So they must have gave it to someone else.  Mine came with a very short pic rail on it already installed.  I kinda would have liked to have the peep as it would have been a pretty cool addition. 

nastygunz

Holy moley the price of them has shot up!

bigben

I got to looking on amazon and seen vortex makes a nice little 2-7 they even have a rimfire version.  Im not sure what the difference is.  usually the focus is set at 50 yards instead of 100. 

bigben

To add onto this little gun I got it to pack away for kind of a truck gun.  When I head upstate dad always had a cheap h n r topper 20ga that we would bring and shoot grouse and the occasional squirrel with when we got bored and wanted to walk around camp.  I figured something like this with detachable scope mounts would be awesome to pack along.  a .22 for squirrel and the shotgun to take a grouse if we walked up on one. 

First thing I did was deburred the locking lug pretty good to smooth up the break action on it.  I had to almost brace myself to break it open before.  Now a simple drop of the lever and a little bit more and it pops open easily.  The next thing I want to do is take the stock off and try to clean whatever made the triggers gritty.  Apparently chiappas machining department doesnt clean the swarf out of the action so I think a good cleaning and relube would go a long way.  I also would like to texture the grip a bit to give it some more grip as honestly its kinda slippy.  not to mention the pull is a bit long even for me. 

nastygunz

Mine still breaks open pretty tight. I put some white lithium grease on the lug, helped alot. I'm going to dig mine out and look at some optics options for it. I got a nice camouflage shotgun scabbard that it fits in perfectly. This is what mine has for a rear sight:

nastygunz

I have one of these also:

bigben

not exactly sure what that is?

I have been obsessed with combo guns since I was young I have a .223/12ga Russian made gun that I used for furbearers for a while.  heavy as all get out. 

nastygunz

Same here, my old neighbor had a savage 24 I lusted after. I dug my double badger out and took that rear sight off. It was pretty easy I just loosened the set screw and used a punch and tapped the sight out of the dovetail. I tried a set of rimfire scope rings and they fit the base on the gun. I just ordered a Bushnell 1.5/4.5 scope for it. When that comes in I will see how it fits. I have been meaning to put a scope or a red dot on that gun for years and just never seem to get around to it and it took me about three minutes to take the rear sight off and put the rings on. With iron sights there is no way that I can do a headshot on a squirrel anymore with my old eyes.

bigben

yea a peep would have been nice but the fiber optic front sight I could imagine it would be tuff.  I made some 50 or so yard shots on squirrels with the 1.5-4 power that is on it but it was tuff.  Im going to be driving right past cabelas this weekend heading to an archery comp.  I might have a little stoppy stop on the way home for a look through some scopes and maybe take one home.  That 2-7 I think will be a good size I can use for both the chiappa and I have a trapper model 336 that it would probably do well on as well.  so if it doesnt work on the chiappa it has a home on another gun.

bigben

So to add onto this.  Nasty got me wanting to buy a new scope for this gun.  Just so happens I have a gift card from sportsmens warehouse my boss gave me.  I had to go there to pick up a facebook marketplace find anyhow so I figured I would pick up the scope then.  I actually believed it would be in stock.  Got there looked around and the only one they had in stock was the rimfire one and a scout rifle version.  Im pretty much convinced after holding both from the weight and build quality that the only difference is that the parallax setting is at 50 instead of 100.  But my brain to justify it is to get one that will handle a rifle recoil as well because if i do not like it on this gun I could put it on my 30/30 trapper or something else.  The salesmen said it wont handle a rifle recoil as its a rimfire scope.  I also looked around for .410 ammo for hunting as my game shells are dwindling.  No dice.  60$ turkey shells and slugs was all they had so I walked out without the scope or any ammo gift card still in hand. 

The following day I had an archery competition up in coal country.  Which is right close to cabelas.  I figured I would stop in and check it out if they had one pick it up.  After finding out they no longer have an in house bargain bin I walked over to firearms to see if they had a scope or ammo.  After finding out no scope under 400$ would grace cabelas cases I looked for .410 shells.  I was also looking for a box of game loads in 12ga as well because I got my family side x side fox mod b savage back in business and I would like to take a few squirrels with said gun as well.  Well they had pretty much everything but what I was looking for.  I ended up buying a box of 3" mag .410 shells with 7 shot.  and a box of 2 3/4" 7 shot light game loads for the 12 ga.  I checked out the used gun rack and seen a really sweet 20 ga savage 311 which is pretty close to the 12 fox mod b i have.  Savage actually bought the fox name to boost their sales and get their 311 moving along.  but thats a whole nother story for another day.

I still need to order that scope.  I got some cold sore throat thing last week and have been pushing through getting better or I prob would have ordered it last week.  Maybe this weekend I will grab the combo gun and get the triggers flushed and shooting a little crisper.  I still loath walking into any big box store to buy anything.  I feel like the salesmen are morons and Id rather order online.  The wife tells me I am turning into an old crumudgeon   

nastygunz

Lol, I buy most of my stuff online now better prices and variety and don't have to go into the big box stores. The prices in the local gun shops around here are sky high. I have my gun and my scope and my base and rings sitting on my work table for a week now and have yet to mount it up. I will get it done before Frost hits hopefully. I like that little Bushnell banner 1.5 x 4.5 scope I got, $85.00

I have Centerpoint scopes on my .22 semi and .17 HMR, I have never had a problem with them and I have been using them for quite a few years. I have been liking red dots and reflex sites lately also. I like the Sightmark Wolverine red dots because they use AA batteries instead of those little coin type batteries and have insane battery life. Checkout Meadow Creek Mounts, they make a cool mount for shotguns with vent ribs so you can mount a red dot or reflex site directly on the vent rib no drilling or tapping required. I am going to put one on my crow hunting shotgun this year and try it out.

bigben

I was a big fan of nikon stuff for a long time then they went liberal.  When I was a kid everything had tascos on em or silver ring luppys as a buddy used to call em.  So when I could afford it I picked up some nikon scopes to put on my guns and was pleasantly surprised that sighting in every year wasnt needed compared to the junk tascos i had.  Honestly i have a few old tasco/bushnells where the scope was made in japan and they are good scopes.  They dont have all the fancy coatings but I can see how people liked tascos back in the "day" 

After nikon turned liberal I would pick up leupolds at sales or flea markets and put em on a .223 tikka m595 that I know is a .375" gun at 100 yards all day.  Id mount it up bore sight and then do a box test on em.  if they didnt come back I would send them back to leupold.  Got a few nice scopes for 1/2price or lower because people didnt want to take the time to send em back.  Two of them got new updated lens in and they only cost me 100$ and shipping one way.  But it is hard to find those odd sized scopes.  the 1-4x is one I have been wanting for my 45/70  and a 2-7x32 for a few reasons.  The vortex stuff I do have I am happy with.  So far it is only binoculars.  Dad has a few scopes and they seem to hold up fine.