• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A hunting family's wedding party for the groom

Started by Okanagan, June 06, 2018, 07:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

My grandson, Code, got married last year.  His brother got married about a year later, this spring.  Their uncle arranged a party for each of them, inviting male friends and future in-laws from both families.  I missed Code's but got in on the one this spring for Jon.

In 8 inches of snow we all drove to a logging landing perched on the side of a canyon way out in national forest.  Lots of young men in 4x4's. 

There we held a sort of Robin-Hood-wins-Maid-Marian contest:  shooting clay pigeons; tossing the caber (a heavy green 4x4 ten feet long); shooting .22's for tightest group; a race uphill with two buckets of rocks; shooting bows and AR's at Code's event.  Then we pigged out on LOTS of meat, including elk steaks, thick bacon, mushrooms, quality sausage, some finger greens but no real salad, lots of pie type desserts. 

By then it was getting dark and we gathered around a big fire and the married men gave the groom advice on marriage.  Two extended families and their friends gathered, including the bride’s father and all of her brothers except the one at Camp Pendleton who texted razzing comments once in awhile.  Some youngsters, boys who hung out with the confident competent men. 

Every one who mentioned it since has called it the best party he ever attended.

The party had a purpose totally different from a stag party.  When I expressed surprise that the father of the bride was invited, the organizer told me that this was not a bachelor party but an event intended to strengthen bonds between two extended families that have known each other for decades and already have a lot in common.  I've known the bride's father for over 20 years.  The bride's and groom's brothers have worked together, played together and hang out together and for them, the party was natural.  This couple have a strong and broad support base, lotta stable people rooting for them in an unstable world.

nastygunz

Are you sure your not a Vermonter?....🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸👍...my kinda party and my kinda people!

FinsnFur

Yep, good ole fashion homegrown comradry with genuine down home people.  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Congrats to the new groom! Great story!  Sounds like they have a solid foundation upon which to build. 

My nephew got married about three years ago.  Big wedding and reception party. He was divorced within six months. I don't understand the younger generation.

Okanagan

Quote from: KySongDog on June 07, 2018, 05:26:12 AM
Congrats to the new groom! Great story!  Sounds like they have a solid foundation upon which to build. 

My nephew got married about three years ago.  Big wedding and reception party. He was divorced within six months. I don't understand the younger generation.

When I was a kid some relative had a huge wedding like that, with similar results and my dad said, "The wedding lasted longer than the marriage."