• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

America’s Independence Day

Started by JohnP, July 04, 2017, 10:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

"Many men and women, better than you or me, sacrificed their all to gain this nation’s independence from the crown. Let’s honor their memory and the glorious gift of liberty they’ve bestowed upon us, a gift that’s still giving some 241 years later, by referring to this upcoming holiday by its proper name: America’s Independence Day!

After all, we don’t say “Merry 25th of December.”

Not sure but I think that is a quote from LTC West
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

nastygunz

My niece is married to a young English fellow, and they and the three kids are all out visiting the  grandparents now in England and she sent me a message this morning and said Independence Day in the UK = Awkward! :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:

Hawks Feather

Quote from: nastygunz on July 04, 2017, 01:05:26 PM
My niece is married to a young English fellow, and they and the three kids are all out visiting the  grandparents now in England and she sent me a message this morning and said Independence Day in the UK = Awkward! :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:

About the same thing happened to me a couple of years back when I took a couple of Englishmen out shooting pistols (which they can't even touch in England).  Awkward is hardly the word that I was thinking of at the time.

Jerry

nastygunz

Im watching Rambo, First Blood, drinking a Sam Adams beer, thats America!

slagmaker

I sat on my front porch and watched fireworks off in the distance.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

We had a nation honoring feast yesterday afternoon with 40-50 people from two extended families connected through marriage.  It was a BBQ kicked off with a serious prayer of thanks for the freedom we enjoy and prayer for the nation, her leaders and the future.  To get there and back, my wife and I casually crossed the longest unguarded border in the world, having enjoyed Canada Day fireworks three days earlier

Re awkwardness of US independence around Brits, one time years ago crossing into Canada, my wife and I were sent into the Canadian Customs house to declare goods and pay some duty.  As we stood at the counter while the officer on the other side toted up figures, my wife read the list of goods exempt from duty that was pasted on the counter top.  “Look, “she said, “tea is exempt.  I guess they learned their lesson from the Boston Tea Party.” 

The border cop twitched as if bee stung, and so did I.  I nudged my wife for silence and watched the custom man's face.  We were at his mercy.  He never said a word about her comment, but seemed startled.  Almost instantly he named a figure that was an obvious error, way in our favour.  I paid cash as quickly as possible and taking my wife by her elbow, exited as fast as seemly.  She is a sweet and sometimes naïve gal without a malicious cell in her body. 

KySongDog

Since you ended up paying a far smaller tax, I would've said "Well played, my dear, well played."    :biggrin:

JohnP

I also have a wife that speaks her mind.  During one of my promotion celebrations we had all the Brigade and Battalion officers and Sr Non-Com over for a promotion party.  She was talking to the Battalion commander and refereed to him as Dan, his first name.   I pulled her aside and told/suggested to her that maybe she should refer to him as Colonel or Sir and being the type of guy he was he would have told her to address him as Dan.  She politely told me "He is in my house, eating my food and drinking my drinks, I'll call him Dan and if he doesn't like it I'll tell him we did not lock the door". 

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Hawks Feather

I now keep my mouth shut at border crossings.  Years back we were taking the girls around the US and thought it would be nice to cross over into Canada since we were in norther Washington.  At the Canadian side they were asking if we had drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc. and I answered, "No." to each question.  Then he asked if there were any firearms in the vehicle and I said that I knew that Canada was a very restrictive place so there was no way that I would ever bring a firearm across the boarder.  There was a pause and then we were told to pull the van over into an inspection area.  We were there over an hour and a half while they went through each suitcase, rolled under the van to look around, under the hood, removed the access hood inside the van, ran their hands over the headliner, and used mirrors to look under each seat.  When they were done my wife and daughter were ticked and the only thing they said was, "You can go."  On the way out were were asked if we had enjoyed our stay in Canada and I said, "Once we finally got in it was nice." To which my wife said, "That's enough."

Jerry

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on July 05, 2017, 12:05:06 PM
I also have a wife that speaks her mind.  During one of my promotion celebrations we had all the Brigade and Battalion officers and Sr Non-Com over for a promotion party.  She was talking to the Battalion commander and refereed to him as Dan, his first name.   I pulled her aside and told/suggested to her that maybe she should refer to him as Colonel or Sir and being the type of guy he was he would have told her to address him as Dan.  She politely told me "He is in my house, eating my food and drinking my drinks, I'll call him Dan and if he doesn't like it I'll tell him we did not lock the door".

:highclap:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com