• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Summer Beaver

Started by DirtyDog, June 05, 2007, 02:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDog

Question for all you trappers, what is the fur quality like on a summer beaver? I beleive that Tennessee has a year round trapping season on Beaver (will need to confirm), and there is someone I know having a problem with them.

Thanks
ND

studabaka

Fur quality for NC summer beaver is poor, though even winter beaver are marginal vs northern beaver.

Whenever possible I defer trapping till fall/winter, though spring rains cause water to run on spillways which cause the beaver to get active on plugging stuff up. In some cases you have to deal with them immediately.

The same 'personal choice' applies to beaver that we so often debate for coyotes. One difference is that in most states you can't mess with the lodges so by definition, if there are little ones they will die.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

DirtyDog

Stu,

Thanks for the tip. I think I might wait until fall. I may be asking for some help later in the year.  :biggrin: Know of any good books or DVD's on trapping?

Thanks
Joe

catskinner

Here is a review board for videos on one of the trapping forums I am on.

http://fishgut.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=videorankings

studabaka

Trapperman.com is another site that is a great reference with some very knowledgeable folks.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

DirtyDog